Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Default OFF for headlights? (instead of AUTO)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I can tell, it is currently not possible to set as default to have the headlights ("lights") to be OFF. If one sets the lights to OFF, it will revert to AUTO after a PARK, etc. Not sure why this is...

Any chance to convince Tesla to allow a default OFF?

The headlights seem to come on in daylight when I would never have turned them on myself... and of course they are burning more battery energy. I'm always turning the lights off when I start out during the day -- would just like them to stay off til it is actually dusk/night.

If some/most like them on, great. But some would like them off by default as an option. I believe most other cars have that option.

The headlights seem to come on in daylight when I would never have turned them on myself... and of course they are burning more battery energy. I'm always turning the lights off when I start out during the day -- would just like them to stay off til it is actually dusk/night.

If some/most like them on, great. But some would like them off by default as an option.

oh.. well as you likely know there is currently no way to do what you are asking in a model 3. I doubt that tesla would change this either, as for every person such as yourself, there is likely 100 people who would forget to turn them back on, then drive with just DRLs (if equipped).

I have no idea how much battery headlights use, but I doubt its significant enough to effect mileage that much.

If some/most like them on, great. But some would like them off by default as an option. I believe most other cars have that option.

The headlights are all LED. If they use 50W and you drive for an hour with them on (when you otherwise wouldn’t) it would consume enough energy to drive about 900 feet.

In any event the Auto setting can’t be disabled and the range hit is so insignificant that it’s not worth worrying about.

My Chevy Volt was the same way. I could flip off Auto for the current drive but it would reactivate for every ignition cycle.

I hope Tesla keeps it just the way it is. If you need it off, manually turn it off. Daily I see people driving with no lights on. Nissan cars are the majority that I notice and some Mazdas. It would easier to forget it off in this car since it is a screen and no instrument cluster to illuminate the interior like traditional cars.

In my MYP, the Daytime Running Lights are brighter than if I just run the parking lights.

I would like the parking lights to be the default brightness and also parking lights to be the default for driving in general - but that isn’t an option from what I have seen.

There’s no way to set them to off as default, they will revert to auto on every ignition cycle.

To echo the poster above what is the use case for such a setting?

I don’t need it. But can try to give a scenario for the want/need of such a default “off” setting. Actually I would like it to stay off until the car actually senses speed then switch to auto. Not even when I just put it in D.
My use case. I back into my garage and I face the street and my neighbor. So I usually get in the car, step on the brakes to start the car, press the homelink to open the garage and put the car in D. This turns on the headlights. And shines light into the street and into my neighbors windows while i wait for my garage to Finish opening. If it can stay off for just that much longer until it senses speed (> 2.5 mph) then switch to auto that would help.

like i said not a need but would help in my scenario.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I don’t need it. But can try to give a scenario for the want/need of such a default “off” setting. Actually I would like it to stay off until the car actually senses speed then switch to auto. Not even when I just put it in D.
My use case. I back into my garage and I face the street and my neighbor. So I usually get in the car, step on the brakes to start the car, press the homelink to open the garage and put the car in D. This turns on the headlights. And shines light into the street and into my neighbors windows while i wait for my garage to Finish opening. If it can stay off for just that much longer until it senses speed (> 2.5 mph) then switch to auto that would help.

Put the car is D before opening the garage door - or just tap parking lights and switch back to AUTO once you're moving down the street.

Thank you for a very useful example. I could see a setting for “headlights off until 10MPH” being helpful for you.

As far as I can tell, it is currently not possible to set as default to have the headlights ("lights") to be OFF. If one sets the lights to OFF, it will revert to AUTO after a PARK, etc. Not sure why this is...

Any chance to convince Tesla to allow a default OFF?
I was hoping there was a default to OFF as well. I park in my garage and every time I start my car, the lights pop on. I turn them off and then put the car in reverse and they pop back on. Not sure how long the lights last, but I hate to waste them when they aren't even needed.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki