Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Default Suspension Setting for Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My suspension has always been set to Low, from delivery onwards. If I raise it to Standard, it drops back to low at the next car start, if not before.

Is this normal, or should it be on Standard? I don't know if I'm putting too much weight on the word "Standard" or not, but I don't want to be driving in a way that I shouldn't be...

Thank you for any/all input!

I had mine set to low (which is where it would be constantly so no AS movement). If you put it anywhere higher it will change based on the speed adjustment (default is 55 mph I think). That means it will go up when stopped or parked and down when you reach 55 mph).

I liked low but recently I have been contacting parking bumpers and curbs so I decided to put it to Standard. Don't really notice it moving but I got to believe I will pay a price for this movement later in service fee's.

I wonder what's cheaper? That black plastic air dam that gets whacked by the curbs or having my AS suspension repaired after it wears out?:D

Reactions: FlyF4
You can set it in settings. Use the slider to choose what speed you want it to switch to low. If it's set to Always, then you're always on low, if you set it to a speed it will default to standard, then change to low when you go above the specified speed. I have mine set to 55, and if you bring up the suspension screen you can see it lower when you cross 55, then it raises back up when I go below 35...

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas and Ormond
You can set it in settings. Use the slider to choose what speed you want it to switch to low. If it's set to Always, then you're always on low, if you set it to a speed it will default to standard, then change to low when you go above the specified speed. I have mine set to 55, and if you bring up the suspension screen you can see it lower when you cross 55, then it raises back up when I go below 35...

I don't see where under the Suspension Control screen I can do this...I definitely do not see a "slider" to adjust what speed it changes to Low. Right now, I've changed it to Never adjust to Low, instead of the default Always. It seems as though my SC set mine to go to Low anytime I go over about 45 or 50mph. If you could either type how to navigate to adjust this speed and/or a picture of where the slider is, that would be great.

TiA!

I set and keep my suspension at STANDARD. My SC mentioned that the change in wheel camber at LOW could - could - increase wear on the inside of the tires: the top of the tires moves slightly inward.

I use the NEVER setting to prevent automatic height adjustment at or above a given speed. I've tried LOW and notice no difference in handling.

I've found that egress in a tight garage, etc., is slightly easier with LOW, but the manual adjustment to LOW when parking is not worth it.

I use the speed adjust at 65 since I rarely touch that on local roads but often do on the highway. I use auto-high on my gravel driveway but put it into very low for the dogs if they are getting in and out of the back when parked. I had the chance to drive behind my car the other day and the driver put it through the ranges; very low looked very very low and I’d be worried about road debris on any curvy road without good forward visibility. High and very high were not available unti the car slowed a bit.

Low and Very Low will wear out your rear tires faster and much faster. We drove our X in Very Low for most of our 8000+ mile X Country Road Trip
and when we got home we had to replace the rear tires due to inner treads being worn down to dangerous level. I now have mine set to Standard height even at highway speeds. We confirmed with our SC that the alignment camber is set to be zero at Standard and then as you go to Low the camber angle changes and then changes even more in Very Low which is why the inner tire wears more at these settings.

Yes I pretty much always hear a creaking sound when I adjust my suspension, which I do fairly often.

A few questions: I believe mine was set to Low at delivery. Is Standard better for everyday driving? What about road trips?

Also, I have been raising mine to High at the entrance to our rough gravel alleyway. Then down to Low or Very Low as I enter the detached garage. Then the reverse on the way out. I maybe use the garage once or twice a day (mostly I park in a parking pad in front of our home), but it still feels like a lot of adjustment, especially with the creaking sound. Thoughts?

but it still feels like a lot of adjustment
This is one reason I had mine set to low originally. I like the look best, but also it defaults to low once you get up to speed so why have it move at all?

After hitting curbs and bumpers so much I decided to move it to standard. Now it moves all the time and will probably wear out in 5 years.:(

Ours is set to drop to low at 70mph, a speed that you'd hit on the freeway out of traffic, etc. This serves the purpose of maybe lowering and having less drag. Lower than that in other streets or daily use and you risk damage on all the typical things as usual (cement parking stoppers, big potholes, sloped drives, etc.). Higher ride is a benefit of X.

I mean, I could do low if we lived in paradise with perfect roads and such, but in Illinois/Chicago - this state is about a year+ behind in paying all its bills even...

Yes I pretty much always hear a creaking sound when I adjust my suspension, which I do fairly often.

A few questions: I believe mine was set to Low at delivery. Is Standard better for everyday driving? What about road trips?

Also, I have been raising mine to High at the entrance to our rough gravel alleyway. Then down to Low or Very Low as I enter the detached garage. Then the reverse on the way out. I maybe use the garage once or twice a day (mostly I park in a parking pad in front of our home), but it still feels like a lot of adjustment, especially with the creaking sound. Thoughts?
Standard should be used for everyday city driving. The ride should be a little bit softer. I read that another member setting his on low on a cross country road trip said the tires were worn so much faster on 1 side of the tires (negative chamber?). For me I leave it on standard and have it lowered automatically after the lowest setting (65mph?). It was delivered with Low on "always".

Can anyone tell me the speeds at which the X will lower from very high etc.?

On my S I always had the suspension set to very high for my driveway. As I left home, at 18mph it would drop to High, then at 35 it would drop to Standard.

The X appears to stay very high until 35 and I am not sure when it drops to standard. I have the setting to drop to low set at 55.

I wonder why the transition speeds are so much higher, and at what speed does it go high to standard?

Mine was set to low when i took delivery. I tried to change suspension while driving. I have since learned how to change it and now it is always in Standard except certain spots. I'd like to remove a few spots where it is raising suspension based on GPS location. Does anyone know if that's possible?