Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Default suspensions settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the first week of driving my Model X, I could not understand why every time I looked at my suspension settings, it was showing "Low", even though i kept adjusting it to standard (as I read this is the normal setting for the X).

Now I understand how to keep it on standard.
But the question is: Is Low really the preferred way of driving your Model X. Isn't that destroying the tires over time, as I read?

Accepted delivery of MX on 9/29/17 after 2nd delivery attempt. From factory it came set to “Low” and the auto SAS was set to “Always” for low. I thought this was odd compared to our MS, so I set it to “Standard” and then auto-low above 60mph. But then by eye I saw that “Standard” on the MX looked like “High” on the MS (there are fewer height settings on the MS), so I reset MX it to factory “Low Always” and decided to see how it goes.

Then I read about the vibration and wear issues with MX half-axles at the higher height settings, and my guess is that factory may prefer low to minimize these issues. However that is just a guess. For sure people have reported the noise and vibration worse at higher suspension settings.

I’m sure more folks will chime in here with more experience.

I went back and forth on this. I drove around using automatic lowering at 50mph for roughly 10,000 miles. Tire wear was even all the way throughout. I haven't had any issues with vibration or excessive noise. Since then, I have roughly another several thousand miles on always low as I developed a preference for the way the X feels and drives at that setting. If I could, I'd probably leave it at Always Low. My tire wear has been even, but the camber is noticeable and should cause uneven wear over time. The only way to counter this and get even tire wear is to corner harder ;)