Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defaulting to 5 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to primary charging locations, home and work, both equipped with wall chargers. I typically set my charging amps at these locations to 30 - 48 amps, depending upon a variety of factors. Lately, however, my 3 has been defaulting to 5 amps at both locations, no matter what the amperage setting was before. Over and over I have to move the amperage up from 5 amps to something reasonable every time I arrive at home or at work.

Is anyone else seeing this 5 amp default? It's maddening.

Is it full? It could be trying to equalize
No, I typically charge to 80% or so at work, then drive home and plug in but set the SOC to 50% so that I don't charge. (Since I have a free charger at work, I typically charge there.) On the weekends, though, if I'm going to be driving around, I'll set the home SOC to 80%. In either case, when I pull up and put the car in park and open the battery settings dialog, my amperage is back to 5 amps.

I have to primary charging locations, home and work, both equipped with wall chargers. I typically set my charging amps at these locations to 30 - 48 amps, depending upon a variety of factors. Lately, however, my 3 has been defaulting to 5 amps at both locations, no matter what the amperage setting was before. Over and over I have to move the amperage up from 5 amps to something reasonable every time I arrive at home or at work.

Is anyone else seeing this 5 amp default? It's maddening.

Do you have it set to a scheduled charge? I am wondering if it just defaults to 5A when not charging yet, but will actually max out when the scheduled time arrives? I am seeing the 5A default right now as well, but never noticed it actually charging at that slow of a rate.

I'm having the exact same issue on my M3. It started about 4 days ago. I normally don't drive more than 50 miles/day, and always charge at midnight. I've never had an issue and always got a notification telling me that charging started at 12:00a and usually finished around 1:30am. I awoke Monday morning and it said that I needed another 1.5 hours to charge, and was charging at 5A and 7mph (I'm normally at 32mph of charge). I do have a Tesla HPWC, and downloaded the sw to 2019.20.4.2 two days later. The problem is still there. I am now coming home, plugging in, increasing to 32A and start charging immediately, and it is working fine. I'm hesitant to schedule midnight charging for fear that it will default to 5A again. Also, I only have charged at home with the same Tesla charger, as I just bought it, along with my brand new Tesla on 4/23/19. Loving the car, really frustrated these past few days, as I was already programmed to park, plug-in, and not have to even think about it. A small inconvenience, but an inconvenience none the less.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
We have seen a bunch of reports of this lately.

Clearly a software bug or some kind of geolocate issue.

I wonder if the car can’t figure out where it is it defaults to 5a for safety?

(And again, this is precisely why you should never rely on setting the amps down manually in the car to keep from overloading a circuit - this kind of flaky behavior is why!!!)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm having the exact same issue on my M3. It started about 4 days ago. I normally don't drive more than 50 miles/day, and always charge at midnight. I've never had an issue and always got a notification telling me that charging started at 12:00a and usually finished around 1:30am. I awoke Monday morning and it said that I needed another 1.5 hours to charge, and was charging at 5A and 7mph (I'm normally at 32mph of charge). I do have a Tesla HPWC, and downloaded the sw to 2019.20.4.2 two days later. The problem is still there. I am now coming home, plugging in, increasing to 32A and start charging immediately, and it is working fine. I'm hesitant to schedule midnight charging for fear that it will default to 5A again. Also, I only have charged at home with the same Tesla charger, as I just bought it, along with my brand new Tesla on 4/23/19. Loving the car, really frustrated these past few days, as I was already programmed to park, plug-in, and not have to even think about it. A small inconvenience, but an inconvenience none the less.
This has been my exact experience as well.

I use the app Stats for monitoring my Tesla. It plots the charge rate each night so I can see how the Tesla is charging throughout the night. No change for my charging rates from firmware 2019.12.2 thru 2019.20.4.2.

Are you setting the amp charge rate for scheduled charging?

I used to never set the amp charge rate, and it always started at midnight and charged at 32A. Now, I'm having to manually adjust the charge rate each time I come home and have been charging immediately upon arrival.

Today, I set the charge start time to occur at the top of the hour after I arrived early afternoon, and manually set the charge rate from the defaulted 5A to 32A, and it worked perfectly.

The issue is, prior to 10-days ago, I never had to set a charge rate. It always charged at 32A without any intervention whenever I arrived at home.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7