TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Defeating the Autopilot Nag

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by eclectricdave, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaron0k

aaron0k Two failed MCU's on two MS; both at 84k.

Rewards those with Oranges.

2. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Looks OK to me. He didn't say it would stop at stop signs, avoid pedestrians, react to traffic lights, or whether it will indeed "see" an object it should stop for. If the object is heavy enough, it will always stop for it.

3. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

There is, of course, no proof that contact with the wheel has anything to do with safety.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  4. aaron0k

I don't expect their to be a good solution with the current S/X hardware (the 3 has a cabin cam).

As I suggested in another post/thread (below), I believe the only thing Tesla can do at this point is limit their liability...

Elon has stated that it has been the experienced/complacent drivers that were getting into accidents. Now the experienced/complacent drivers are just going to shove water bottles and oranges into their steering wheel.

Tesla should require all drivers to take/pass an online AutoPilot safety training course. From the App, Web or the Center Console.

The course is tied to a Driver Profile and AP can only be activated once the course is complete (or it is speed limited to 35mph). The training should be required/reactivated annually. It's not perfect, there are ways around that too... however it will educate owners and reduce Tesla's liability. It's a compromise between treating owners like adults vs idiots... educating a few idiots might save a life (vs implementing more nags and tempting the idiots to use an Orange).

Example; Ninebot speed limits Segways until the users goes through training to activate higher speeds.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Many people require two hands to text while driving.

• Like x 1
  6. aaron0k

I hope you're kidding... if one is talking about these features in the context of an Autopilot announcement? Why would he mention these capabilities if there was no intention of leveraging them? Keep in mind, those statements were also based on AP1/ME sensors.

I was at the D/AP announcement event. I drive a lot in Los Angeles. I've seen horrific accidents and have come close to being involved in some. At that event, I decided I would buy another MS w/AP based on his statements... because I felt I would be safer.

While I admire Elon's vision and what he's accomplished... Elon's bravado can't serve as an excuse and we can't be foolish sycophants just because he's awesome. Drivers like us have died.

7. doctorwho

doctorwho Active Member

True, but so does the present system

8. garyjac

garyjac Member

Needs must when the devil drives old chap.

Jelly baby?

9. doctorwho

doctorwho Active Member

Great idea, a jelly baby dispenser that rewards behaviour:D

10. bigdaddie

bigdaddie Member

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  11. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

12. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

#72 meloccom, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  13. mrpseudonym

mrpseudonym Member

Downloaded software 2018.24.1 and drove sydney to Wollongong and back (3hours round trip) using autopilot most of the way. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. My observations:

1. The steering wheel movement ‘feels’ different. The only way to describe it is that it feels more solid, there is more resistance to movement. It’s like tesla has changed the steering wheel torque setting. The minimum input required to stop the nag does not move the steering wheel as much as it used to.

2. It takes a greater force on the steering wheel to knock the car out of autopilot mode.

3. The dashboard illumination nag (previously the white line that went all around the dash, now just a line at the top) is much better. Yes the nag is more frequent, but not as much as I feared and actually less annoying than before mostly because of #1 above.

Of course all very subjective, and I could be just dreaming that it is better...

• Informative x 1
  14. paulp

paulp Active Member

Its a piece of chain and clasp, both available from bunnings for around $10aud.

15. aaron0k

#75 aaron0k, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
    That has to be some kind of joke?

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  16. Fobble

Fobble Member

#76 Fobble, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
    I like this a lot, a multi-functional device. It can stop AP nags, and also can be used to hand cuff the driver who uses the device and causes serious accident.

• Like x 2
  17. garyjac

garyjac Member

Immediately invalidates any insurance on the car in Australia. "Unauthorised modification" is all the insurer needs to see/here.

• Like x 1
  18. aegidius

aegidius Member

I find autosteer not particularly useful because of the nag, except on long freeway trips. The TACC, on the other hand, is absolutely invaluable. Only new thing I'd like TACC to do is follow changing speed limits like AP does. There should be no reason why it can't already do this, Tesla just hasn't given us the option.

19. aegidius

aegidius Member

Love the fine print on the eBay nag defeater: "Disclaimer: not for use on public roads." Yeah, I'm using AP in the paddock every day...

• Funny x 1
  20. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Moderators note:
    The poster joined today and so far only posted an advertisement for the Autopilot Defeat Device.
    This breaches the TMC rules around advertising.
    I and TMC do not condone or support devices designed to defeat Autopilot.
    The posting and the new user have been removed.

• Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.