Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defeating the Autopilot Nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some suggestions of how reward encourages compliance:
The car times driver contact with the wheel (no nags) and rewards drivers with things like a reduction in service fees, discounts on wheel upgrades etc. Discounted or free supercharger use for those cars without unlimited supercharging. Accumulated time able to be sold by those drivers who still have unlimited supercharging.

Rewards those with Oranges.

@ 06:21 "...we've been able to accelerate autopilot, and bring it to market faster than originally anticipated..."
@ 07:26 "...it's able to read stop signs, distinguish pedestrians, look at traffic lights..."
@ 08:48 "... it will brake if it sees any object you will collide with..."

Looks OK to me. He didn't say it would stop at stop signs, avoid pedestrians, react to traffic lights, or whether it will indeed "see" an object it should stop for. If the object is heavy enough, it will always stop for it.

Here are some suggestions of how reward encourages compliance:
The car times driver contact with the wheel (no nags) and rewards drivers with things like a reduction in service fees, discounts on wheel upgrades etc. Discounted or free supercharger use for those cars without unlimited supercharging. Accumulated time able to be sold by those drivers who still have unlimited supercharging.

Instead of a nag, the car silently polls the wheel for signs of contact and uses this to reward the driver in similar ways. The driver isn't informed until the end of the trip, so can't anticipate the poll, nor is distracted by the process.

The current process is lazy and just doesn't understand how to use human nature to achieve the desired outcome
There is, of course, no proof that contact with the wheel has anything to do with safety.

The current process is lazy and just doesn't understand how to use human nature to achieve the desired outcome

I don't expect their to be a good solution with the current S/X hardware (the 3 has a cabin cam).

As I suggested in another post/thread (below), I believe the only thing Tesla can do at this point is limit their liability...

Elon has stated that it has been the experienced/complacent drivers that were getting into accidents. Now the experienced/complacent drivers are just going to shove water bottles and oranges into their steering wheel.

Tesla should require all drivers to take/pass an online AutoPilot safety training course. From the App, Web or the Center Console.

The course is tied to a Driver Profile and AP can only be activated once the course is complete (or it is speed limited to 35mph). The training should be required/reactivated annually. It's not perfect, there are ways around that too... however it will educate owners and reduce Tesla's liability. It's a compromise between treating owners like adults vs idiots... educating a few idiots might save a life (vs implementing more nags and tempting the idiots to use an Orange).

Example; Ninebot speed limits Segways until the users goes through training to activate higher speeds.

Looks OK to me. He didn't say it would stop at stop signs, avoid pedestrians, react to traffic lights, or whether it will indeed "see" an object it should stop for. If the object is heavy enough, it will always stop for it.

I hope you're kidding... if one is talking about these features in the context of an Autopilot announcement? Why would he mention these capabilities if there was no intention of leveraging them? Keep in mind, those statements were also based on AP1/ME sensors.

I was at the D/AP announcement event. I drive a lot in Los Angeles. I've seen horrific accidents and have come close to being involved in some. At that event, I decided I would buy another MS w/AP based on his statements... because I felt I would be safer.

While I admire Elon's vision and what he's accomplished... Elon's bravado can't serve as an excuse and we can't be foolish sycophants just because he's awesome. Drivers like us have died.

Yes, it is a first world problem. Given the stats that Tesla have already released that show a reduction in crash rates with AP use, surely use should be encouraged rather than discouraged. There's a ton of first world research that shows that reward with some punishment (biased towards reward) is the most effective way to reinforce a behaviour. This is a poor strategy from Tesla and it won't help to achieve safe use of AP.

Needs must when the devil drives old chap.

Jelly baby?

Here is my solution to the nag. I only use it on extended trips. It is a 1.5lb ankle weight. You can get them on amazon for $16.89. Or, I can paint a T on them for $169.89. Here's the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5JSP6P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used a postal scale to weigh my hand resting on it. Was close to 1.5lbs.

20180621_133123[1].jpg

Last edited:
Downloaded software 2018.24.1 and drove sydney to Wollongong and back (3hours round trip) using autopilot most of the way. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. My observations:

1. The steering wheel movement ‘feels’ different. The only way to describe it is that it feels more solid, there is more resistance to movement. It’s like tesla has changed the steering wheel torque setting. The minimum input required to stop the nag does not move the steering wheel as much as it used to.

2. It takes a greater force on the steering wheel to knock the car out of autopilot mode.

3. The dashboard illumination nag (previously the white line that went all around the dash, now just a line at the top) is much better. Yes the nag is more frequent, but not as much as I feared and actually less annoying than before mostly because of #1 above.

Of course all very subjective, and I could be just dreaming that it is better...

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I find autosteer not particularly useful because of the nag, except on long freeway trips. The TACC, on the other hand, is absolutely invaluable. Only new thing I'd like TACC to do is follow changing speed limits like AP does. There should be no reason why it can't already do this, Tesla just hasn't given us the option.

Status
Not open for further replies.