Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defective Wall Charger 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anyone else out there is having this issue...

Tesla is having problems with Wall Chargers 3s. I bought mine in April. Almost a month ago, I started getting an error on the LED array... one red flash, then the normal green sequence, resulting in the unit dropping from 32a to 16a. The error code indicates overheating. Tesla support said it was a known issue and they are sending replacements. They said the unit is not overheating, it just thinks it is and throttles the charge rate.

Fast forward to today. I installed the replacement. Any guesses as to what's next? Ding-ding-ding! Correct! Another bad one. Tesla support told me that they thought the issue was resolved, but now know it is not. I'm in queue for a replacement, when they figure out what the cause is.

[sigh]

At least I'm charging at 4KW and can live that way for a while!

:(

• Informative
Reactions: user212_nr

Tesla is having problems with Wall Chargers 3s. I bought mine in April. Almost a month ago, I started getting an error on the LED array... one red flash, then the normal green sequence, resulting in the unit dropping from 32a to 16a. The error code indicates overheating. Tesla support said it was a known issue and they are sending replacements. They said the unit is not overheating, it just thinks it is and throttles the charge rate.

Fast forward to today. I installed the replacement. Any guesses as to what's next? Ding-ding-ding! Correct! Another bad one. Tesla support told me that they thought the issue was resolved, but now know it is not. I'm in queue for a replacement, when they figure out what the cause is.

[sigh]

Interesting progression. Please keep us in the loop when you receive more news from Tesla wrt root cause...

Reactions: AZAV8R

[sigh]

Who pays/paid for the labor to replace the Wall Charger?

[sigh]

oh man my suspicion verified! I noticed the red light too a few days ago but didn’t think of it. When my wife told me the car didn’t fully charge this morning, I monitored charging through the app and I saw it drop down from 48a to 24a. My wife took a video and sure enough it blinks three times for high temp detected. I was about to suspect the electrician’s handiwork but your post gave me some guidance. I’ll reach out to Tesla. I decided to go with Tesla and not a third party, and lost rebates. They better fix this. Thanks again.
Btw, odd I see it go to 12kW. Is that normal? I thought it only goes to 11kW.

Attachments

• 5F61F9F8-86CF-4BB1-BDAE-AA5334931E6F.jpeg
    5F61F9F8-86CF-4BB1-BDAE-AA5334931E6F.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: AZAV8R

[sigh]

I have this exact issue and i'm still waiting for my replacement.

[sigh]

I am eagerly awaiting my replacement from the one I purchased in June and I’ve been scouring these post to see if the replacement ones were working everyone seems to say they are so I was hopeful but in the back of my head I thought no way they fixed the issue. Keep us updated on the replacement of the replacement...

Reactions: Gasaraki
I'm looking at buying a wall charger, but given this thread a bit nervous about it not working well. If it's only four screws to take out and replace, fine, but if I have to pay for multiple installs well that's a deal-breaker.

Is this really better than at 14-50 outlet? (aside from aesthetics)

I'm looking at buying a wall charger, but given this thread a bit nervous about it not working well. If it's only four screws to take out and replace, fine, but if I have to pay for multiple installs well that's a deal-breaker.

Is this really better than at 14-50 outlet? (aside from aesthetics)

The wall connector charges faster. Also I said that the new units are fixed so if you buy one for Tesla right now, you should have no problem.

I have a Model X with a Gen 3 Tesla wall charger. We received a free replacement for the first one we bought since it keep "stopping" for "overheating" while charging. Before Tesla sent the replacement wall charger, I was told that this was a "known" problem. I worked with several different Tesla technicians to try to "update the firmware", etc.

We just installed the replacement Gen 3 wall charger and only 2 weeks later we are again experiencing the same problem.

There is a useful Tesla Wall Charging Help line at 650-681-6133; Option #3. They are only open for calls from 8 am to 5 pm PST on Mon- Friday.

Tom - in New Paltz, New York

Reactions: Jejunjm