Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defending Tesla has ended a Friendship of mine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had *friends* on facebook that have continually made such outrageous posts that I finally just blocked their posts so I didn't see them anymore. It was great for my blood pressure and in the grand scheme of things probably didn't make one iota of difference.

Now family, that's different. One of my younger brothers loves to poke on me about Tesla and dealerships and the grid and younameit. But our dad passed away earlier this year and he loved his Tesla jacket that I gave him. Loved it. Anyway, my stepmom asked me tonight what I wanted to do with the jacket and I asked her to send it to my brother with a note saying 'Dad wanted you to wear this and remember him'. Hahah. Dad would LOVE this joke (he loved Tesla and he was a joker).

I am a bad person. :)

I think ending a friendship is taking the mission to "defend Tesla" a bit too far. If that friend of yours actually manages to swerve the opinion of those around him not to consider a Tesla, then it is far to early in history for them to acquire one. Wait until everyone and his dog are driving around in Teslas for them to see the light.

I conclude this was not defending Tesla, this was defending yourself. You could have drawn a red line, as in "no more silly Tesla jokes on me, plz" and from there on ignore his posts. You are not to correct him, neither are you responsible for what he says.

I encountered some "fire" comments, too. Was too baffled at that time, now I would go along with "well a man has to pick the risks he is willing to go with in life." :tongue:

Seems like he feels his livelihood is threatened?

Yes, he feels that because of the business he is in.

I would have said, I understand you are threatened by a company that shakes you and the industry you are in to the core. I know to make yourself feel better about it, you have to find every piece of negative information to try and give yourself validation. I own the car, we'll just have to see in a couple of years who's right and who's wrong. While we wait, I'll be enjoying my gas free, fast as ****, awesome looking, constantly being improved future of a car.

I’ve tried that. And he knows that.

It's basic human nature to become defensive first, passive-aggressive next and outright jealous and obnoxious finally in such a situation.

Bingo.

If you ever do rekindle that friendship. Take him for a ride. That will end all of his crap mouth.

He’s driven one before, and he event went to a Tesla event. He knows the car, how it works, how it feels.

I conclude this was not defending Tesla, this was defending yourself. You could have drawn a red line, as in "no more silly Tesla jokes on me, plz" and from there on ignore his posts. You are not to correct him, neither are you responsible for what he says.

I don’t agree with that. I’m defending Tesla. This isn’t about me. He didn’t target that post to me. I didn’t see it until hours later. It’s not just about what he says on-line, it’s about what he’s saying off-line to his associates and customers in the auto-industry, all having nothing to do with me.

Here’s another analogy: being anti-Tesla is like being racist. It’s wrong and I’m not going to be friends with someone with that opinion, especially how outward this person is about it. If he kept it to himself there’s not much I can do about the way someone feels without knowing how they feel, but he goes out-of-his way to bash Tesla - so I will defend Tesla, just like I would defend a minority race.

I suppose it depends on how you define a friend, how close you were, how much mutual respect you had for each other and how much effort you put into maintaining the relationship. You might be the only person who cares enough to take the time to talk him off the ledge. That can only be done via face-mail or voice.

I grew up in a company town where everyone had ambitions to build up their businesses and hand them over to their kids. The anchor company is long gone, but the families remain. Many learned the hard way that company loyalty lasts only as long as the market remains intact or until the resource is exhausted. Corporate responsibility exists only until the next acquisition, sale or relocation takes place. Then they get the "Sorry, it's just business." slap.

I could talk to some that were receptive and respected me enough to hear out my perspective. I saw the writing on the wall. I had to show it to them when they were too caught up in the moment to see it themselves. Some were then capable of looking beyond the city limits and the partisan patter. Some saw the light and they, or their kids, were able to become very successful in a new environment. Others remained entrenched and refused to adapt. They were too comfortable. The latter are not doing well at all.

Patience, reason, sincere concern and care with some sound facts can bring people around, but it is a process. You can lead a horse to water....

It is unfortunate that they decided to strike out in a public venue. Some people can't see beyond the next corner when they have been comfortable and unchallenged for a good period of time. Judgment is clouded until they can take a step back and look at the big picture. You might be the only one that can paint that picture and show it to them.

Eh, usually people like that have that thread of dickishness running through more facets of their being than just one particular issue. They're not usually folks I'm friends with to begin with and feel little loss for dropping them if that facet starts to grow like a cancer on their personality.

I've found a handful of high quality friends is fulfilling and I'd rather focus on them and my family than spend effort to keep up a friendship that's low on the investment/reward scale.

It doesn't seem that you ended the friendship because he hated Tesla. There are many people that would never buy a Tesla, because they like the thrum of an ICE, or changing gears in a manual etc. I'm sure you have no problem with that.

This is all about ending a friendship because the guy is a d-bag. Just my observation.

oh, and the answer to the question "Do Tesla's now come with a fire extinguisher?" is
"no, Tesla owners prefer that ICE owners put out their own fires"

Whether on Facebook or in RL you cross paths and have a common bond that forms the basis of a friendship. Then each person changes, you learn more about each other, circumstances change and then you may drift apart or one of you end the friendship. And that's just life.

I would have done the same thing--not because he doesn't like Tesla, but because I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who has so little integrity that he would use the internet to knowingly spread misleading or false information about anything. I wouldn't get along with a FUD-meister anyway.

Yeah, the fire extinguisher thing is particularly stupid. I just read about a local crash where a tractor trainer jumped a barrier and head on crashed into a school bus. "Within seconds", the article said, both vehicles were engulfed in flames. 8 dead. When an ICE catches on fire, and they FREQUENTLY DO in crashes, it is GAME OVER. You have to be particularly dense not to realize this.

You could have drawn a red line, as in "no more silly Tesla jokes on me, plz" and from there on ignore his posts. You are not to correct him, neither are you responsible for what he says.

I read this in Raul Julia's fake Italian accent. I can just picture him as Franco saying: "No more jokes on my Tesla!" :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brett...when you're passionate about something...well then you're passionate about it. I would have done the same thing no doubt!!! It shows how much you care about the future and sustainable transportation. You did good.

Life's too short Brett. The real matter is you're passionate about Tesla and what it represents. Friends and family don't always have to see eye-to-eye, but tolerance is what makes us intelligent humans. You know if you did the right thing if it "feels" right. We all have many things in life that push our buttons, some we control, and some we cannot. Change what you can change and the rest, well, smile and be tolerant.

This person is NOT a friend. What he is doing is NOT teasing. He is being a jerk (most likely out of fear or jealousy)

My only question is why you would want to be friends with a person like this...

My friends tease me about my EV addiction all of the time, but are mostly supportive of my efforts.

Jimmy Stewart was a staunch republican. Henry Fonda was a committed anti-war Liberal, who opposed the Vietnam war. While they were political opposites, the remained best friends throughout their lives. When Jimmy's son was killed in the Vietnam War, Henry gave the eulogy.

I am pissing off many of friends with my Tesla obsession. My hope is, that despite our differences we remain friends. It's an American thing.