Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deferring my order until forum members start to take delivery of their Sig's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wording Tesla used is no different than other automakers. It is only deceiving if you are gullible or just want something for nothing. The words " up to 300 miles" should clue anyone in, along with the base price of $49.4k with an asterisk next to it. The 5.6 0-60 on the other hand is questionable as it implies that is the spec of all cars. That's why their marketing team sucks and needs to be fired. If they were truly different than other automakers, they wouldn't use the same sleazy tricks.

I wonder if it's possible that's simply what the marketing team was told in 2010 since maybe even engineering didn't know what the 0-60 times would be. They had to know the times would likely be different and should have played it safe with an asterisk or something. They certainly had to know at least by summer 2011 that the times would be different before they announced the specs in December but left the language the same. They definitely need to up their game to match the level of their engineering team.

The wording Tesla used is no different than other automakers. It is only deceiving if you are gullible or just want something for nothing. The words " up to 300 miles" should clue anyone in, along with the base price of $49.4k with an asterisk next to it. The 5.6 0-60 on the other hand is questionable as it implies that is the spec of all cars. That's why their marketing team sucks and needs to be fired. If they were truly different than other automakers, they wouldn't use the same sleazy tricks.

I work in retail and I'm sorry to say that you pretty much have to phrase things in marketing terms. Sure there are certain people who prefer to be spoken to and marketed to in a straightforward way. But they are, maybe, 10% of the buying public. The rest respond to the exact things you hate and if you don't put it that way they will completely dismiss you as a choice.

I'm sure that among Tesla buyers that percentage is a lot higher but you get my point. There have been lots and lots of market research to back up what I said.

Back on-topic, I think there is a good case to make for deferral. Here we are, practically in September, and we still don't have final interior pictures or information, (i.e. roof blind), center console design, Supercharger, etc.

So far, it appears to me that there have only been one or two non-founder cars delivered. Were they, like the Founders, for publicity only? Other than a quick, blurry-cam, video, we don't have detailed shots of Jason's car. No info on badging.

For folks who just want a 200+ mile EV, it probably doesn't matter too much. But for those who wanted the best car for the money, with BEV being a highly-desired extra, then it does matter.

So far, it appears to me that there have only been one or two non-founder cars delivered. Were they, like the Founders, for publicity only? Other than a quick, blurry-cam, video, we don't have detailed shots of Jason's car. No info on badging.

...and I will make the argument that Jason's car is a Founder car. He has a personal relationship with Musk:

Jason said:
[ Disclosure: Elon and I are friends. We both invested in each other's companies five or six years ago--long before I owned a Tesla. Our kids go to birthday parties together, we have dinner sometimes and we live near each other in Los Angeles.
<snip>

So as far am I'm concerned, no non-Founders cars have been delivered.

I just wish more of you would defer so I can get mine sooner. ;)

Back on-topic, I think there is a good case to make for deferral. Here we are, practically in September, and we still don't have final interior pictures or information, (i.e. roof blind), center console design, Supercharger, etc.

For folks who just want a 200+ mile EV, it probably doesn't matter too much. But for those who wanted the best car for the money, with BEV being a highly-desired extra, then it does matter.

A local Model S (Sig Special in low 30s) has his car in final prep and on its way to Texas.

I certainly look forward to seeing deliveries start to actually happen, but it is a bit difficult to believe that cars are in shipment when those that were to be picked up at the factory yesterday were not ready to go and one of those was Sig 29. But on the other hand I do believe that there are quite a few cars in "final prep", the big question is how long are they going to stay there!

I have to agree with aviators99. We still don't know of any deliveries to anyone that doesn't have special financial connections to Tesla or Elon.

I work in retail and I'm sorry to say that you pretty much have to phrase things in marketing terms. Sure there are certain people who prefer to be spoken to and marketed to in a straightforward way. But they are, maybe, 10% of the buying public. The rest respond to the exact things you hate and if you don't put it that way they will completely dismiss you as a choice.

I'm sure that among Tesla buyers that percentage is a lot higher but you get my point. There have been lots and lots of market research to back up what I said.
Prefer is a very strong word. That's like saying people prefer to shop at auto dealerships, which we both know is definately not true. There is just no other choice. Nobody likes being misled.

Ever since pulling back my reservation in January, I've sort of opened my eyes to the things I previously glossed over. Things like the horrible Tesla forums. The mistakes(?) on their website. The spin from Elon. For me at least, I take these things as a representation of the company. If Tesla announces a Q&A session with Franz, then I expect it to happen (that was way back in the spring of last year) If they have an online forum, then I expect it to be professionally built and run. I expect their customer reps to all be on the same page. I don't make excuses for them just because I love the idea of their car and can't wait to own one (I'm not saying you do that, but I've seen A LOT of that here from other posters).
I agree that if you're not sure then you should defer or just get a refund. It's fine. There's no shame in it - you should buy if and when you are happy w/ the product you're going to get.

That being said, I don't know how many Silicon Valley start-ups you've been involved in but everything you listed is par for the course of a start-up tech company. I've been through 3 start-ups now and all of them had the same "issues". The focus is on building features and technology so all support systems (web team, customer advocacy, etc) are starved of resources. Likewise, tons of last-minute things come up so executive schedules change (at my company if a large customer prospect crops up we'll toss the CEO on a plane the next day, canceling all previous engagements). Likewise, things often change so quickly that it's nearly impossible to keep everyone on the same page.

I'm not saying it's right, nor am I carrying water for Tesla, it's just the way things are done out here. And plenty of successful companies come out of this environment (and of course many of them fail too). So I have learned to focus on the product. If the product is real and it works then all the other stuff is just fluff to me. But I'm a Silicon Valley nerd so maybe I have different expectations than other people.

All of those things you're looking for int he quote above will come in time assuming Tesla is successful. So you did exactly the right thing by getting a refund and waiting until Tesla becomes the company you need them to be (and if they never do then hopefully someone else will and you saved yourself $50k+ in heartache).

I certainly look forward to seeing deliveries start to actually happen, but it is a bit difficult to believe that cars are in shipment when those that were to be picked up at the factory yesterday were not ready to go and one of those was Sig 29. But on the other hand I do believe that there are quite a few cars in "final prep", the big question is how long are they going to stay there!

I have to agree with aviators99. We still don't know of any deliveries to anyone that doesn't have special financial connections to Tesla or Elon.

You are right. It's in prep area but I don't know for how long. He sent me a picture of it sitting in the prep area and looks nice and like it wants to be a Texan.

The wording Tesla used is no different than other automakers. It is only deceiving if ...
You're reading too much into my post. I was just giving another example of what people were mentioning, not giving an opinion. No big deal, but FYI.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody likes being misled.
Not strictly true. Political campaigns would markedly different otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

everything you listed is par for the course of a start-up tech company.
Isn't that simply by-definition?

Conceptually, a startup is a new entrant to the market (which is sometimes a new market) based on something they feel uniquely capable of delivering due to some degree of innovation. Expertise in the area of innovation is the core of the "being" of such companies. Budget, marketing, etc. are secondary competencies. As a result, they are naturally less skilled in these areas. Further, even if they were skilled in these areas it's still a new company, finding its footing, acquiring employees, establishing practices, nurturing economies of scale, etc.

I'm kind of confused that people are surprised by this.

Aviators99, with respect to range, keep in mind all the factors related to Motor Trend's 240ish mile drive on the 300 mi battery. Hilly/mountainous terrain, unknown weather conditions (wind?), driving at 75 mph, some stop-and-go on the highway, sticky tires of unknown inflation pressure...tons of factors that can go into reducing range. I'm sure Elon's car has probably been through quite a bit, including some heavy driving and probably some supercharging as well. With all of these factors gathered in, I'd say the numbers were decent and as expected.

With respect to deliveries, we now have confirmed deliveries outside of Elon's "circle of trust" :).

I don't have to see it to believe it. As soon as someone reports their car has been delivered and that they have no ties to E.Musk, I'll be satisfied. So far, nobody has done that.

I've had my picture taken with Elon Musk at the October event so not sure if that counts:smile:. I think the fact that they are sending out multiple 'here is your delivery window' e-mail is good news. It's not the same as a delivery but I don't think they'd send these out if whatever issue was holding things up wasn't resolved.