Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Define Home location by GPS instead of address?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Defining Home Location.
I have entered my address as Home in Navigation. But when my car is in my garage, it thinks it is 100 feet from home. As a result, it folds the mirrors when they aren't supposed to fold at home. And my Charge Stats show my charging being done at "Other" rather than at "Home". Is there any way to set Home as "this location" when the car is in the garage?

@gearchruncher: I appreciate the reference you posted, but unfortunately that thread never brought the issue to a conclusion due to uncertain memories and the degeneration of the topic into what thieves might do. I did try creating a point on the map right on my garage. But in the option to name it, the system automatically tagged my address to it. There was no option for naming it without the address being tagged. Yet, when I said to navigate to my address (hoping it would say "you're already there"), it consistently routes me out of my garage and about 75 feet along the road to the other end of my house where apparently the GPS address is recorded. So while the system associates my garage as part of the same address, it thinks my garage chargers are elsewhere, not at home.

Upvote 0
The short answer is no, you can’t set your home location to anything but an address, but it’s a commonly requested feature by others in similar situations. If Google doesn’t have the correct location for your address, you can try to get Google to fix it. Otherwise, you can try to find a nearby address that works better than your actual address.

Upvote 0
The short answer is no, you can’t set your home location to anything but an address, but it’s a commonly requested feature by others in similar situations. If Google doesn’t have the correct location for your address, you can try to get Google to fix it. Otherwise, you can try to find a nearby address that works better than your actual address.
Great idea! I'll try that. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Similar issue here - both the Sentry mode and to detect/calculate charging costs…

The app keeps labeling charging sessions on my garage as “other” and not home. Therefore, it is difficult to calculate my savings, etc.

My address, let’s say, is 123 Main St, but for some reason multiple mapping services have it as 123 E Main St. The fact that I live in one of the condo units on the property makes it worse.

I tried adding the “E” part into my address by the map in the car doesn’t let me.

Hope someone figured something out.

Reactions: guerro
Upvote 0
I had the same problem. Turns out google maps though my house was several hundred feet away from where it actually is. Still on the same property but apparently far enough away that the tesla does recognize it as home. Turns out there is a google form you can fill out to change the location of your house. Google fixed the pin location in a few days but it took a month or so for the car to update.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. Turns out google maps though my house was several hundred feet away from where it actually is. Still on the same property but apparently far enough away that the tesla does recognize it as home. Turns out there is a google form you can fill out to change the location of your house. Google fixed the pin location in a few days but it took a month or so for the car to update.
I'm the OP, and like others here, resolved the issue by advising Google to move the address location to my garage. They fixed it within days. I was impressed.

• Informative
Reactions: Need and kaimanson
Upvote 0
In my case it was Apple Map (I think it is based on what your app uses - mine is an iOS app so it uses Apple Map).

For Apple Map, scroll all the way down and press “Report an Issue” button and fill out the form. It asked for a photo so I took a screen shot of the street sign in the map app and submitted.

It was resolved in less than a week.

Upvote 0
I can’t explain that either. I am guessing certain functions (ie turning off sentry mode at home, not locking the car at home, logging charging at home as home and not others) are somehow correlated to the Tesla app and the map it uses (iOS app uses Apple map I assume).

Those functions I mentioned above didn’t work until I asked Apple map to get rid of the “E” in the 123 E Main Street (thus changing it to 123 Main Street). Obvious that’s not my address but I am using that to demonstrate the case. The address in the car (Google map I think) does show that “E” part of address - and I am sure I had everything set up correctly but those function didn’t work until the address was corrected in the Apple map.

Further, I am guessing if you use an Android phone it would be Google map that needs to be corrected.

I am sure someone has the right answer.

Upvote 0
I can’t explain that either. I am guessing certain functions (ie turning off sentry mode at home, not locking the car at home, logging charging at home as home and not others) are somehow correlated to the Tesla app and the map it uses (iOS app uses Apple map I assume).
No, all of this is done in the car. It does not require you to even have the app for it to work.

The most likely answer here is that the service Tesla uses actually also watches for changes in other services and copies the change. Or it was a complete coincidence.

I also bet the iOS map still uses google- go into your app and click on location- does it have a big Google in the lower left corner or something else? Generally the map in an app can use any backend service it wants, and has nothing to do with what other apps are installed on your phone, and it would be weird for Tesla to use Google in one case and Apple in the other just because the platform was different.

Upvote 0
It says Apple (the Apple symbol) Maps…

Sorry I have to zoom/crop so that I don’t reveal my address…

Attachments

• 84AC8C8B-47DF-419C-8BA0-25AE6866333D.jpeg
    84AC8C8B-47DF-419C-8BA0-25AE6866333D.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0