Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Define: Track worthy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion a “Track worthy” car is one that someone can drive on the track at nine tenths safely for 20 minuets straight completely stock or with very minor modifications. Minor modifications would be better brake pads or simple bolt on reinforcing. A purist would say a car that can be driven as delivered on track at ten tenths without any modifications till it runs out of fuel. I’ve owned both. My integra type R required brake pads and removal of the front turn signals to meet my definition. My Elise meets the second definition when new. After a year or two it would starve for fuel at half a tank since the sealant in the fuel tank failed and let it slosh around too much.

My Model three meets the first definition in my opinion. The Model S, X and roadster do not in my opinion.

I think it's pretty conclusive that Tesla is intending the P3D with the performance package to be a track worthy car.

Given that there will be a track mode, and Elon's comments about it being faster around the track than an M3.

Whether I get a P3D or just the AWD version is HIGHLY dependent on the track performance of the P3D. If it's anything like the Model S P then it's really not worth it.

If it's M3 like then that's pretty damn compelling.

I think it's pretty conclusive that Tesla is intending the P3D with the performance package to be a track worthy car.

Given that there will be a track mode, and Elon's comments about it being faster around the track than an M3.

Whether I get a P3D or just the AWD version is HIGHLY dependent on the track performance of the P3D. If it's anything like the Model S P then it's really not worth it.

If it's M3 like then that's pretty damn compelling.
Considering that MPP managed to get their RWD Model 3 to break a track class record held by an M3 at their local track in Toronto, I'm feeling pretty good about the P3D.

I'm fairly confident the battery is a problem on my 2012 S P85. It was still a problem, though less so, on my P85D. It was even less so on my P85D. On my P100D S, I'm not sure if the battery is part of the problem or not.

How do you know it's not the problem for at least some S/X?

The thing that overheats first on the Model S&X, that causes most, if not all, of the power limiting, are the motors. And more specifically the rotors which are very hard to cool. Since the Model 3 doesn't use an AC induction motor for the main/larger/rear motor it wont have the need to cool the rotor at all.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
There are very few stock production cars that can be taken to a track on a hot day and perform at racing speeds for a full 20 minute stint without modifications.

Corvettes were some of the worst at this. If driven in a ham fisted manner they would cook the brakes, go into limp home mode and generally give up the pace as the individual components overheat.

I have seen Vipers overheat their power steering boosters to where the caps would pressurize and pop off, making quite a mess of things.

Very few track novices understand the straign they are putting on their cars when the go to typical track day events. They over heat the tires which go away fast, boil the brake fluid as well as over heat the differential.

A little known issue is that novice drivers often far overstress a street car by poor technique, where an experienced driver will get far faster times with far less heat induced into the components. Power steering pumps are a good example here. Novice drivers seem to be constantly adjusting their lines and sawing the wheel back and forth, while the professional will make far less steering corrections at the same pace.

I agree with many in this thread. I would expect my P3D (not sure about + or not) to handle a 15-20 minute session at 8/10 with better brake fluid, pads, and sticky rubber. I always put better fluid in the cars as I don't want to take a risk when it is so simple and inexpensive to do yourself and never hurts to run on a street car. My 335 required pads and a better oil cooler. My e46 M3 (I won't ever refer to the Model 3 as an M3 sorry, not sorry Elon) was a purpose built track car, but even stock it would likely require the pads. The e90 M3 has issues with its power steering reservoir leaking under track pressure and still pads.

I like the idea of the brakes on the P3D+ but not the narrow tires. Road and Track seemed impressed on Lime Rock with the fully optioned car. I would like to track my P3D occasionally and that way I can sell my 335, the M3 is gone. Like others have said, a good driver can break down many cars quickly on track with stock parts at 10/10 but I never drive 10/10 at HPDE/Track events. My biggest concern is the battery drain and whether I can get enough in the car between sessions; likely would use a NEMA camper outlet at most tracks.

I just don't want to order a P3D w/o + and then find out Elon only gives Track Mode to the + or some other features.