Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definite Guide: Find out if you have HW3.0 or HW2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, they changed it. Only way of knowing is with the parts number. But is Tesla still using old HW2 hardware?

By the way, I also had issues with 265, stuttering, artifacts and missed clips. Not sure if it was the stick, but I doubt it.

I don’t know. There are confirmed cases of AP2.5 computers installed after the nominal cutover date in cars ordered without FSD, but I have no idea if the practice is continuing. I would expect it to end at some point - Tesla explicitly said the AP3 computer is 20% cheaper to make.

I had issues with the videos on the initial factory delivery firmware - the videos had this weird flickering effect in the imagery - but that went away in the first or second update I got and I had no other problems. I am using an SSD, but the whole point of H265 is it requires less storage space and less bandwidth, so I don’t see how the slower card would matter.

I just found out that I have HW 2.5. My model 3 SR+ is delivered on 9/18/2019, so is only a week and a half old. Part number is 1483112-01-C. I live in the Netherlands, we don't have a production month on the door jam in Europe, but I think it is produced in August. So Elon still has many HW2.5 parts lying around I guess...

Attachments

• 20190928_232025.jpg
    20190928_232025.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 395
I just found out that I have HW 2.5. My model 3 SR+ is delivered on 9/18/2019, so is only a week and a half old. Part number is 1483112-01-C. I live in the Netherlands, we don't have a production month on the door jam in Europe, but I think it is produced in August. So Elon still has many HW2.5 parts lying around I guess...

So where exactly is the computer? In the RHD model is the computer still situated behind the glove compartment, just on the left rather than the right?

Is it easy to take a picture of without removing the glove compartment?

I'm trying to work out how to check myself, Tesla tell me I have HW3, but I want to check definitively (they told me underspray is normal for cars, so I don't take anything they say for granted now)

So where exactly is the computer? In the RHD model is the computer still situated behind the glove compartment, just on the left rather than the right?

I'm trying to work out how to check myself, Tesla tell me I have HW3, but I want to check definitively (they told me underspray is normal for cars, so I don't take anything they say for granted now)

The Netherlands is LHD.

The removal of the panel under the glove box is very easy. I am not a handyman and Ik took me about 5 minutes without tools. The hardest part was me lying on my back with my head under the glove box and coming back up . Just take out the pins that hold the panel up and you will see for yourself. Good luck!

The removal of the panel under the glove box is very easy. I am not a handyman and Ik took me about 5 minutes without tools. The hardest part was me lying on my back with my head under the glove box and coming back up . Just take out the pins that hold the panel up and you will see for yourself. Good luck!

Not so easy on the RHD - it's a different setup. There are three clips, but they don't release the panel enough to see the whole part number (the panel is connected to the glove box somehow). I will explore tomorrow with an inspection camera.

You guys should be very careful when you bring the car for service. If the HW needs replacement they might switch it with HW2.5 if they have it on hand. I have heard of at least two cases of this happening in Europe. Apparently the HW2.5 parts are still in circulation and Tesla is using them to cut cost.

I would take a picture of the HW before bringing it in.

Reactions: Judders
9/19 Build, Long Range AWD with Enhanced Autopilot, didn’t purchase FSD, hoping there’s another sale sometime and I’ll pull the trigger. 6k is to much for basically the addition of lane changes at this point.

Can anyone tell me if this is HW3 or 2.5? To my best understanding that is HW3. Odd thing is I only have 3 pins presently under the dash which makes me wonder if the service center messed with it on arrival

Attachments

• 7070D3F3-984D-4286-89C2-E6D54A68F480.jpeg
    7070D3F3-984D-4286-89C2-E6D54A68F480.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 288
9/19 Build, Long Range AWD with Enhanced Autopilot, didn’t purchase FSD, hoping there’s another sale sometime and I’ll pull the trigger. 6k is to much for basically the addition of lane changes at this point.

Can anyone tell me if this is HW3 or 2.5? To my best understanding that is HW3. Odd thing is I only have 3 pins presently under the dash which makes me wonder if the service center messed with it on arrival

It's HW3.

Also FSD is $7000 now, price went up a couple weeks ago.

• Love
Reactions: Judders