TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Definition of 'sandbagging'

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Larry Chanin, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the clarification.

I unfortunately have never associated "sandbagging" in a positive way. Here's how Dictionary.com puts it:

sand·bag
    verb, sand·bagged, sand·bag·ging.
    noun
    1. a bag filled with sand, used in fortification, as ballast, etc.
    2. such a bag used as a weapon.
    3. to furnish with sandbags.
    4. to hit or stun with a sandbag.
    5. Informal .
    a. to set upon violently; attack from or as if from ambush.
    b. to coerce or intimidate, as by threats: The election committee was sandbagged into nominating the officers for a second term.
    c. to thwart or cause to fail or be rejected, especially surreptitiously or without warning: He sandbagged our proposal by snide remarks to the boss. ​
    6. Poker . to deceive (one or more opponents) into remaining in the pot by refraining from betting on a strong hand, then raising the bet in a later round.

Larry

2. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

That is how I normally think of sandbagging, interesting there are so many other meanings.

3. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Since I'm in sales, "sand-bagging" is commonly used as a "under-promise/commit" and out of nowhere, overdeliver. It's the out-of-nowhere component that drives the sand-bagging part.

4. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

At the risk of continuing the off-topic wandering, on the Phrase Finder bulletin board, someone offers this story (which matches what I thought I knew of the origin of "to sandbag"):

5. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

That's a terrible definition on Dictionary.com. I play golf and poker, and you hear the term used every day on the golf course, and I don't know that I've ever heard it at the poker tables. For a golfer, it means artificially inflating your handicap so that you are able to win a match or tournament by "sandbagging" with a handicap much higher than your level of play. At any member-guest tournament, pretty much any time a guest with a handicap greater than single digits hits a nice shot or putt they are accused of sandbagging or being a sandbagger.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Similarly, I was familiar with its use in bowling. Sandbagger was whispered of only a few players in the leagues I bowled in.

7. Brian H

Brian H Banned

One origin story is from soap box derbies, hiding a sandbag in your car to get a favourable start position during qualifying, and draining or dumping it during the real race.

8. arg

arg Member

The Oxford English Dictionary's entry is somewhat interesting.

For the noun sandbag it gives:

A bag filled with sand for use:
    .... 3. as a weapon to inflict a heavy blow without leaving a mark ....

And as a verb it gives:

1. barricade or defend. 2. place sandbags against a window, chink etc. 3. fell with a blow from a sandbag. 4. (N.America) coerce by harsh means.

I had always assumed that the modern use for 'take by surprise' (golf etc. examples earlier in this thread) related to definition 3 - the use by historical criminals/military to sneak up on someone and kill them silently.
    The OED's idea of North American usage doesn't seem to be up-to-date on how you guys actually use the term.
    I had always assumed that the modern use of 'sandbagging' to