Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definition of SGIP Critical Loads vs Non-Critical Loads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've hit a little bit of a snag in my SGIP Residential Equity Resiliency incentive application. My configuration is for a whole home backup (partially due to the cost/complexity of having a separate critical loads panel).
My application has been kicked back because the answer to "Indicate whether the project’s critical loads can and will be isolated" (customer attestation question #2) was no. The comment is "Please be advised that the inability to isolate critical loads is not SGIP approved." Interestingly, I didn't see anything in the 2020 workbook that required critical loads to be isolated, just that it needed to be identified whether or not they were isolated.
Does anyone know the SGIP definition of critical loads vs non-critical loads? In my current configuration my house won't have a separate critical loads panel but my shop will isolated and not backed up.

Thanks

I believe critical loads are the loads you are backing up, "critical" for home backup. They can be isolated from the grid by the Tesla energy gateway. I assume, anything not in the backup panel is not consider critical, such as your shop. As such, I believe you can answer Question #2 as a Yes.

Furthermore, critical loads are discussed in the January 27, 2020 CPUC Decision 20-01-021. It makes sense to replace or read "backup load" in place of "critical load".

• Helpful
Reactions: ra88it
I agree with the above posters that you just need to define your pump as the critical load in the panel you are backing up. As I mentioned in the other forum, explaining that you are not backing up your shop may allow them to understand this better. How does the Tesla person who is doing your app see this?

so add a not backed up panel and run your sub panel to the shop off it. i'm installing a not backed up panel and moving my car charger to it, later it will fed a sub panel in my shop.
That is basically the way it is. My 400 amp service entrance is split into 2 200 amp circuits. One 200 amp circuit has the load center for the shop. The feeder conductors that power my 200 amp house sub-panel will run through the Gateway.

my service entrance doesn't have a breaker on it to the main panels (the main panels do), does yours? how far away is the shop load center from the service entrance and same for main panel for house? you do say "house sub-panel", is it a true sub panel?

my service entrance doesn't have a breaker on it to the main panels (the main panels do), does yours? how far away is the shop load center from the service entrance and same for main panel for house? you do say "house sub-panel", is it a true sub panel?
My service entrance is a combination service entrance/load center. It is mounted on my shop. The load center side has 2 200 amp breakers. One 200 amp breaker feeds the load center. My shop branch circuits are on the load center. The other 200 amp breaker has feed conductors that go underground to a sub-panel (actually a combination service entrance/load center with no meter in it) on my house that is about 250' up a slope from my shop. The Gateway and Powerwalls will be mounted at my shop and connected to my house feed conductors.

I got the same error message on my SGIP Resiliency application (submitted by Tesla) to PG&E last week. I believe the purpose of the question about isolation of critical loads on the application form is just to make sure that the customer is aware of whether the critical loads are isolated or not. If not, then the time that the battery (or battery plus solar) can power the critical loads is reduced. But it is not required that the critical loads be isolated. I am basing my interpretation on the CPUC Decision 19-09-027 issued Sept. 12, 2019. The rationale for including the question on isolation of critical loads can be found on page 43-44.

I suspect that whoever reviewed your application (and mine) may be new to the task and is misinterpreting the purpose of that question. I am trying to contact the PG&E SGIP desk to confirm that, but so far have had no luck. I haven't been able to get a response from the Tesla Incentives group either. Hopefully this can get ironed out before the 15 day deadline for correction.

I got the same error message on my SGIP Resiliency application (submitted by Tesla) to PG&E last week. I believe the purpose of the question about isolation of critical loads on the application form is just to make sure that the customer is aware of whether the critical loads are isolated or not. If not, then the time that the battery (or battery plus solar) can power the critical loads is reduced. But it is not required that the critical loads be isolated. I am basing my interpretation on the CPUC Decision 19-09-027 issued Sept. 12, 2019. The rationale for including the question on isolation of critical loads can be found on page 43-44.

I suspect that whoever reviewed your application (and mine) may be new to the task and is misinterpreting the purpose of that question. I am trying to contact the PG&E SGIP desk to confirm that, but so far have had no luck. I haven't been able to get a response from the Tesla Incentives group either. Hopefully this can get ironed out before the 15 day deadline for correction.
I managed to speak to a Tesla designer. He believes the answer should be yes, the critical loads are isolated. I think the question may be related to the critical loads being isolated from the grid, not from non-critical loads. The Tesla guy doing the SGIP applications agreed with the designer and resubmitted my application with the corrections on Thursday (5-14-20).
I've also noticed that the remaining PG&E Equity Resiliency budget is now less than $400K and the status has changed from open to waitlist.
I've never been able to get through to the PG&E SGIP people, the only option is to leave a message. I called the PG&E solar department - they said they don't have a way to talk them and to expect about a 3 week turn around time on an email. I've sent several emails to SGIP and, sure enough, it takes them about 3 weeks to respond.

Last edited: