TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by gilscales, Jan 18, 2019.

1. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

#1 gilscales, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Comparing the 2 outlets recommended by Tesla with the sub $10 big box model as well as the one I think you should buy

1. Hubbell 9450a
    2. Bryant 9450fr
    3. Cooper 5754n
    4. Leviton 279-S00

The Hubbell and Bryant are far and away the superior product here and since Hubbell owns Bryant and these outlets were recently redesigned you can see from the pictures that there is almost no difference in these products, looks to me that it may only be the size of the allen screws and that is it.

The main reasons these are superior are, Lug boxes with V shape and the heavy copper strap that when tightening gathers the wire together instead of separating them and the fact that these both use 75 in. pounds of torque instead of 25 like the other 2, they both handle higher temperatures and have heavier one pc. power and ground contacts, there is no comparison to any other 14-50 Nema outlets.

The Cooper is good and much heavier than the Leviton but still falls short of the Hubbell and Bryant.

The Leviton unit is like a toy compared to others as it's really poorly built with smaller contacts, screw terminals without a pinch lock causing the wire to be stressed when tightened, just a cheap design.

https://www.mc-mc.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/Hubbell_9450FR_Brochure.pdf

Best part is now you don't have to pay $90 to $100 or more for the Hubbel as you can get the Bryant for $21

Bryant 50A 4W Single Receptacle 125/250VAC 14-50R BK 9450FR | Zoro.com

fullsizeoutput_135c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_135d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_135e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_135f.jpeg

• Informative x 8
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Awesome guide! Needs to be a sticky!

Here is the receptacle that comes in the Eaton outdoor 14-50 receptacle box that you can get at Home Depot.

Do I could I could not find a model number on it to save my life... Do you think it is the same one you posted pictures of? (am on my phone and have not looked closely yet)

A09F100C-2E35-4DAC-85B7-719083513B04.jpeg EE970F62-76EC-4981-BFEE-EF20A27A70A5.jpeg F3B2D3DF-769B-4768-AD5D-405F3E676433.jpeg 53938312-36BC-4F17-933F-A6B01902B611.jpeg

• Like x 1
  3. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

It is made by cooper but it is not the same as the recommended 5754n model, the 5754n has the larger face of almost 2.5” instead of approx. 2.15”

• Like x 1
  4. mrau

mrau Supporting Member

I used the Bryant from zorro.com. Way better than Leviton for EV use. Ordered some batteries I needed to get the order total to $50 for free shipping.....and it arrived the next day.

Excellent review with great photos. Thanks @gilscales

• Like x 2
  5. pdp1

pdp1 Member

I have the cheapo Leviton with a 42cu in work box and it’s already pretty tight with 6awg wire. What volume work box is everyone using for the other, much deeper looking, outlets????

6. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

#6 gilscales, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    B1ABE645-8660-433D-9FA1-4C4055FEB96A.png
    2 1/8” deep 2 gang box
    For indoor mount, outside I would be tempted to modify a 50a RV box with a larger hole for the Bryant since it is an in use weatherproof box
    Even though the Bryant is approx. 1 7/8” deep it has side feed terminals so the wire Managment is easier than a back feed outlet

7. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

Just looked up the 42 cu. in. size box and its plenty big, like I said earlier you will probably find you have more room with the other outlet on the side feed terminals

8. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Looks like the price has gone up on the Bryant, but it's still half as much as the Hubbell.

9. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Yeah, interesting. Zoro.com seems to run sales often for new customers and such, so perhaps watch for those offers.

Interestingly enough: The 6-50 is only $18.88. I am not sure how the quality compares to the 14-50, but since you now have to buy the 14-50 adapter from Tesla for $35 anyway, you might consider doing away with then neutral wire and saving some more money that way...

Bryant 50A Single Receptacle 250VAC 6-50R BK 9650FR | Zoro.com

• Helpful x 1
  10. Feathermerchan

I bought the 6-50 because I have a long run and it makes it easier to hookup in the panel and at the receptacle.
    My research shows that no EV uses the neutral. ie they can all charge using a 6-50.
    FWIW I turned my amperage down to 30A just because I do not need to charge at 40A (first gen UMC) at home.
    If something comes up, I can always change it back to 40A.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. davewill

davewill Active Member

Guy who just did my new 14-50 used a Pass & Seymour/Legrand. It has similar construction to the Hubbell and Byrant outlets pictured..

• Informative x 1
  12. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

#12 gilscales, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    It does look to be similar, it is rated industrial, it is available as low as sub $7 (Sub $10 on Amazon Prime), it is manufactured in China, not a lot of info on the company PDF though

https://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/range-dryer/flush-mount/50a/3894.aspx

Summit Electrical Supply lists the conductor material as Aluminum/Copper which suggests that they may be using a copper plated aluminum and that is one place they could be shaving corners in producing what appears to be a knock off of the Hubbell/Bryant unit.

Summit Electric Supply › Wholesale Electrical Supplies and Tools Distributor

13. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

there is difference in the terminals of the 3 wire outlets compared to the 4 wire, only the 4 wire terminals use the extremely heavy duty lug type terminals, here is a pdf to show the specs, still high quality and same great specs but without the allen screw lug and that 75 in. lb. torque spec is more than likely reduced but can't be sure without one in hand.
    http://ecatalog.bryant-electric.com/literature/Original_BSS57.pdf

14. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Great doc! Thanks for the link!

How do you know the three wire outlets don’t have allen screws? The document you link to lists that model of receptacle (from the Zoro link I had posted). It says they all have allen screws I think.

15. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

#15 gilscales, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    From the linked pdf, it states that there is a difference as the 4 wire have the V shaped lug terminals and the 3 wire has the side pressure screw terminals, not sure if they are allen screws but my bet would be that they are lighter duty, would have to get a closer look at the terminals to see as I can not find any pics of them to verify.

Four-wire configurations feature “Lug Type” terminals, which bundle conductor strands to provide secure terminations. Captive Allen head terminal screws permit high clamping pressure.

and

Three-wire configurations feature single side pressure screw terminal design allowing top access to all three terminals for easy wiring.

Found one on ebay and sure enough it has brass plated screws and im positive no where near the maximum torque rating, probably the standard 25 in. lbs. not the 75 in. lb. the allen with lug type terminals have.

Again its not that its bad but cannot be as good as the other by design is all.

NEW BRANT 9650FR FLUSH RECEPTACLE 50A 250V 2P 3W GROUNDING | eBay

16. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Ack, you are right. My bad. I skimmed it on my phone.

So do you think the 3 wire units also have allen screws? It is listed in the 4 wire section as a feature.

Good find!

17. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

just updated my previous post #15 and found one with pics on ebay to show the screw terminals

• Love x 1
  18. BrownOuttaSpec

This thread was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much!

• Like x 1
  19. davewill

davewill Active Member

I could be wrong, but I think that spec means that it's good for either copper or aluminum wire, not that the outlet is constructed of aluminum and copper.

• Informative x 1
  20. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

You could be right, I cannot find enough info on this one in their specs