Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definitive Answer Needed: Driving Feel b/w Model 3P vs. REFRESHED Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been searching high and low but can't find a clear answer from a person who drove BOTH the Model 3 Performance and a refreshed Model S LR.

Alot of the experiences I read are from the older Model S models which even I have.
I know that the new Model S LR has more power (faster straightline) but in overall driving dynamics, how does it feel compared to the Model 3P?
I also know that the LR has air suspension so I'm assuming you could lower the springs to make it feel more engaged? But again, I don't know to what extent if that puts it past the M3P for engagement.
Why am I contemplating this change? Well its not due to kids or needing a bigger car. I just really never liked the look of the Model 3 front. Not only that, I found out I could get about 53K for my 2019 Model 3P with 22K miles.

That being said, if driving feel is noticably more muted (my actual wish is that the S would feel even BETTER but I don't know if I'm tripping) I might just keep the 3.

Also, any experiences with the active noise cancellation on the highway with the Refreshed S? I find myself having to yell sometimes to have a conversation on the highway + windy day.

@WilliamG might have some insight.
This thread might be useful to you, @youtalking2me

This thread might be useful to you, @youtalking2me

Ha, I actually read the thread this morning.
Will the driving feel feel the same between a LR and Plaid though?
Also, does the car feel planted in corners like the Model 3 or a bit more loosey goosey?

Ha, I actually read the thread this morning.
Will the driving feel feel the same between a LR and Plaid though?
Also, does the car feel planted in corners like the Model 3 or a bit more loosey goosey?
Driving feel should be the same between LR and Plaid. Car feels very planted, but bigger and heavier than the 3. It really depends what you’re looking for. I feel like the S handles better, objectively - by the “numbers.” Subjectively, the 3 is more engaging in the twisties. It’s everything else the S is supremely impressive in. Ride comfort, noise levels, interior quality of materials etc. Quality control is not great, but the car is.

I just transitioned from a 2020 M3P to a Model S LR. (Went from an S, to a 3P, and back to the S)
The S ride is much more composed and it makes highway commuting far more comfortable. Although the acceleration to 60 is the same by the numbers, the 3P felt quicker to me subjectively. After 60 the S feels much faster (again subjectively).
The S definitely feels tight in the corners, but its not as "tossable" as the 3 was, in my opinion.
Overall, the S has a more mature, grand touring type setup. The 3 feels more like an M car, I previously drove a cayman and the 3 has a similar feel (obviously it isn't a cayman..).
For my use case, the S is perfect. I could drive the car forever and be comfortable. I love the size and the solidity of the chassis. I never loved the 3, but I think its better for a city driver, or someone who likes a more direct feeling suspension for their daily driver.

Hope that helps..

I have a M3LR for 3 years and love it! However I drove the Plaid and really loved the feel of the car. The speed is obvious, but the LR with a 3.1 second speed is plenty fast. When I test drove the 2018 S, it felt like a boat, Cadilac feel, so I giot the M3. It has been fun and easy to wheel around. The new S felt more like a BMW 750 ride. Solid but cushy, no more floating. Much more solid than the 3. I'm excited to get my MSLR, whenever it comes. lol

I just transitioned from a 2020 M3P to a Model S LR. (Went from an S, to a 3P, and back to the S)
The S ride is much more composed and it makes highway commuting far more comfortable. Although the acceleration to 60 is the same by the numbers, the 3P felt quicker to me subjectively. After 60 the S feels much faster (again subjectively).
The S definitely feels tight in the corners, but its not as "tossable" as the 3 was, in my opinion.
Overall, the S has a more mature, grand touring type setup. The 3 feels more like an M car, I previously drove a cayman and the 3 has a similar feel (obviously it isn't a cayman..).
For my use case, the S is perfect. I could drive the car forever and be comfortable. I love the size and the solidity of the chassis. I never loved the 3, but I think its better for a city driver, or someone who likes a more direct feeling suspension for their daily driver.

Hope that helps..

The Model S LR is significantly faster than the M3P. While they have similar 0-60 numbers the MSLR has a faster quarter mile time by 0.7-0.6 seconds. so after 60 there is a huge gap in performance.

Reactions: Filter