Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definitive S Refresh Front Plate Bracket Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured I would add my experience to this thread as well. This is copied and pasted from my comment on the waiting for delivery thread.

"It did end up being very easy to remove and took me less than 10 minutes. Just follow the instructions from the main thread on it. I got the special wrench to undo the weird screws, but I barely used it as I think I could have almost done the entire unscrewing of those by hand. I would still recommend spending the $10 to have it just in case.

The only thing that sucked was getting it started in pulling it away from the double sided tape. Once you get it started you just keep pulling until it is off, but you might be swearing up a storm as you try to get a grip on it and get it started"

I will add I pulled parallel to the bumper like jelloslug mentioned. I also had absolutely no issues getting the rest of the tape residue off. I simply rolled it using my fingers and it came right off.

Worked like a charm on my Tesla S. there was an extra step that required I use a hairdryer to heat the plastic plate to help remove the double sided tape holding it to the front. I had to pull pretty hard to remove it but it worked - but it was a bit nerve racking.

Thanks for all the tips. The 90 degrees pliers from Amazon worked brilliantly. If you have clumsy hands like me, watch out that you don't pinch your hand with the pliers if they slip off. Tried to remove sticky bracket without heat, but ultimately relented and applied some air from a hair dryer.

Lot of speculation/incorrect information floating around. I removed the front plate bracket today and it was fairly painless. Wanted to share what works and what doesn't.

THESE DO NOT WORK, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY...
  • Cutting a groove into screw head for a flat blade driver
    • See:
    • Ok, I guess this works, but bringing a rotary blade anywhere near your paint job, ARE YOU CRAZY?
BUT, THE FOLLOWING DOES WORK, AND IT'S EASY!

1. Buy yourself one of these: http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-34233-7-Inch-90-Degree-Pliers/dp/B00YQ7RS1M
2. Make sure you can see the screw. This is key to getting a good grip. My garage is dark so I taped a small mirror to the back of my iPhone and used the rear-facing flash to illuminate the screw. I rested the iPhone face down on the lower lip of the front fascia so I could see what I was doing in the mirror.
3. These 90-degree bent pliers let you grip the penta-point screw head at 4 and 8 o'clock to turn the screw. I found they were not torqued at the factory very tightly, so it was easy to loosen them. I did a few turns with the pliers, and then could unscrew the rest of the way with my fingers.

Attached are detailed pictures of how the pliers should grip the screw head.

Good luck!

View attachment 179450 View attachment 179451 View attachment 179452 View attachment 179453

View attachment 179449

Thank you so much for creating this thread. You made something that would've frustrated the hell out of me - not to mention probably caused me to inflict damage on my car trying to pry off the license plate - so easy. Took 15 minutes start to finish, including a quick wipe down and wax of the area covered by the plate.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Thank you so much for creating this thread. You made something that would've frustrated the hell out of me - not to mention probably caused me to inflict damage on my car trying to pry off the license plate - so easy. Took 15 minutes start to finish, including a quick wipe down and wax of the area covered by the plate.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

You're welcome. Post a pic!

@ZeroDarkSilver

Thank you so much for this info. I took mine off the night of delivery. I used the 90 degree pliers from Amazon and they worked like a charm, although I pinched my fingers a few times. I ended up putting my iPhone on the fender upside down with the flashlight on, shining on the screws in order to accurately loosen them. Mine weren't loose like others, I needed to use the pliers.

I used a hairdryer to get the initial "pull" going. I thought my fingernails were going to rip off or I was going to break the bumper, but it eventually came off.

Most of the glue came off and I was only able to "roll" some of the residue off. After getting a blister on one of my thumbs, I took it to my local detailer (who advised against using goo gone) and he used this to take off the rest of the glue: (The finished product looks awesome!! I'll post pictures after my xpel/opticoat)

3m Cleaner.jpg

@ZeroDarkSilver

Thank you so much for this info. I took mine off the night of delivery. I used the 90 degree pliers from Amazon and they worked like a charm, although I pinched my fingers a few times. I ended up putting my iPhone on the fender upside down with the flashlight on, shining on the screws in order to accurately loosen them. Mine weren't loose like others, I needed to use the pliers.

I used a hairdryer to get the initial "pull" going. I thought my fingernails were going to rip off or I was going to break the bumper, but it eventually came off.

Most of the glue came off and I was only able to "roll" some of the residue off. After getting a blister on one of my thumbs, I took it to my local detailer (who advised against using goo gone) and he used this to take off the rest of the glue: (The finished product looks awesome!! I'll post pictures after my xpel/opticoat)

View attachment 197061

You're very welcome! I'm jealous of your 100!

Reactions: Model S M.D.
The problem with the angled pliers is that there's 5 lobes on the screw head. So, you can't get the pliers diametrically opposed and hence there's a tendency to slip off the head. If you have a pair of these angled pliers - it's worth a try, but it's an awkward tool at best. It's awkward to grip the head off center and then trying to rotate the screw head. This is why i made up this cheap little socket tool.

Tesla License Plate Socket Adapter by SlippinJimmie on Shapeways