Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defog with minimal heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen this topic debated but without a good answer. I occasionally drive in cold weather with a car full of people. I don't need or want much from the heater, mainly to save on range but also because the car stays pretty warm from body heat. I do however need the window defogged. With climate/heat turned off, the window fogs constantly. If I turn on the window defog, then I either get heat or AC depending on where the temperature is set. I don't want heat, but I also don't particularly want cold air blowing out. Has anyone found a setting that will keep the windshield free of fog without running the heat?

This may not work with polluting vehicles in front of you, but make sure air is not recycled... so it’s at least pulling fresh air in. Not sure though if you have the heat off if it acts as a natural vent when recycled is off. I agree though, even with 2 people in the car it gets pretty froggy

Have you thoroughly washed your windshield from the inside? When I got my car the fog issue was driving me insane. I used an all natural window cleaner and went over it 3/4 times with a microfiber cloth. Do that for all of your windows and it will change your life!

I wish there was a way to display the current interior temp? Maybe there is and I haven't found it?

Yes, you can kind of force what I am trying to do by matching the set AC temp to whatever the car is roughly. That seems very crude to me though,

Have you thoroughly washed your windshield from the inside?

I have, thanks. My last car had a severe outgassing issue with the dash whenever it was in the sun, so I had that coating on a regular basis. I'm happy to report that the Tesla does not seem to outgas. I did clean it once but it has stayed good inside since then.

I'm surprised people in rainy areas do not complain about this issue. We only get rain here a couple of times a year, but when it does rain, I have to cycle the defogger on and off manually, or take a big energy hit and lose range. If I lived where it rained often I would sell the car.

I'm surprised people in rainy areas do not complain about this issue. We only get rain here a couple of times a year, but when it does rain, I have to cycle the defogger on and off manually, or take a big energy hit and lose range. If I lived where it rained often I would sell the car.

I live where it rains - a lot (England - it's been raining almost constantly for over a month and it's about 6-7 deg C outside), and I don't get fogging. A/C is off, temp set to 19 deg C and fan set at 3. I'm not selling the car :)

I live where it rains - a lot (England - it's been raining almost constantly for over a month and it's about 6-7 deg C outside), and I don't get fogging. A/C is off, temp set to 19 deg C and fan set at 3. I'm not selling the car :)

Oh I can do the same here, but then I take a huge hit on range due to the heater. I want defog only -- no cabin heating. The few times I have dealt with this issue, enabling the heater for defog caused my range to suffer significantly. A simple venting to the windshield or a periodic defog cycle would be fine and would have minimal impact on range.

This is why others in this thread suggest temperature matching. If the cabin temps is set to the outside temp -- even when chilly -- then in theory the range would not take a hit. That is a balancing act though as body heat can warm the cabin.

Just wondering if anybody is still having issues with the front autopilot camera not defrosting even after the recent update! Planning on TESLA service to check it out! I see defrosting on models Y and X only! Has anybody recorded anything like it on Model 3?
AD25557A-4997-4C56-8893-CA1518E34F00.png 2A7DED83-C6E9-419E-A6AC-AB20FF918A7A.png