Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defogging settings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the most effective HVAC settings for defogging when its raining out, in a way that's still comfortable for occupants? Got the car yesterday and first long drive was in the rain, 42 degrees. There was some fog on the edge of the windshield drivers side that never really went away, and the rear side windows were pretty foggy. Thanks.

What has worked for me was to make sure A/C was on and to make sure air is being drawn in from the outside world. Another consideration is to pre-heat the cabin using the remote app. During the months of Feb and Mar here in Chicago, this is what worked consistently for me.

When you get software 4.5 you'll find the exact setting you need. Two defrost modes... one that keeps cabin temp the same, just directs airflow to the glass and makes sure A/C is on to remove moisture, the second setting is "max defrost" that also puts the heat on.

If you don't have 4.5, what works for me is to run AC on, outside air in, redirect air to only the windscreen and dash vents (air to the windscreen is reduced too much if the floor vents are on), set a comfortable temperature and fan speed. I'm eagerly awaiting 4.5 to see if that does the same thing.

Is drawing in outside air the right thing to do even if its raining out?

Yes, absolutely. The air inside the car WILL get humid if it's raining and windows will fog up.

I have found outside air with a/c on and fan speed set to a higher setting works for me. I will also use the dash vents (instead of the floor) if Auto is trying to send air to the floor.