Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defragment tesla hard drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hm, I've never looked into the computers Tesla actually use. For instance, if I got rid of some of those games.. I would never miss 'em! Do the drives on Tesla have plenty of room then?

I wonder where the forums are that detail some of the hacking folks have done to their cars? Interesting reads, although I'd never 'jaiilbreak' mine. Maybe in 15 years, it would be nice to do! =)

This maybe a subject already discussed but I'm not able to find anything on it. Does a tesla computer have to be defragmented like a lap top or smart phone to ensure optimal operation, freeing up memory and deleting old files etc...
There is a toggle you can press next to the start button if you are running 98.

Also, what is going on where you save time to ponder the complexities of defragging your Tesla’s hard drive. Maybe there is a defrag in your future.

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch
Well...I have a 2021 beautiful red model3 and the car fascinates me yet it pisses me off when it acts up. One day I defraged my MacBook pro. A day later I did the same to my S21 and put to sleep several apps that I don't us. Got in car and thought about doing the same to the car. Always gives me warning about everything. Waiting for the car to say, "You are clinching your butt cheeks, rest area in 1500 miles. Can you make it don't want poop on my seat!!!" It's a big computer should be able to clear up memory and get the original speed back.

Well...I have a 2021 beautiful red model3 and the car fascinates me yet it pisses me off when it acts up. One day I defraged my MacBook pro. A day later I did the same to my S21 and put to sleep several apps that I don't us. Got in car and thought about doing the same to the car. Always gives me warning about everything. Waiting for the car to say, "You are clinching your butt cheeks, rest area in 1500 miles. Can you make it don't want poop on my seat!!!" It's a big computer should be able to clear up memory and get the original speed back.
Again, do NOT defrag flash-based storage devices. You will significantly decrease the life expectancy of that device. They're not the same as hard disk drives. Not only do they NOT need it but the addition read/write cycles produced from a defrag will drastically decrease their lifespan. They're your devices, you're welcome to do what you want but do some Googling on the topic before you dismiss my advice.

Yes, defragmentation is not a thing with solid state drives (i.e. ones that don't spin) such as what is in your car or phone. I would say the closest equivalent as far as maintenance of the drive is something called "trim" with SSDs. I would imagine that the car automatically trims the drive on a regular basis to keep it running optimally.

Unless the MacBook Pro is over five (or so...) years old there's no need to defrag. The Mac OS takes care of any fragmentation issues all by itself.
Longer ago than that. Apple switched to extent allocation in 1985 (HFS in System 2, I think) and added on-the-fly defragmentation in 1998 (HFS+ in Mac OS 8).

By and large, disk fragmentation is relegated to the past, and no modern system worth purchasing (or implementing, in Tesla’s case) is going to require user interaction to manage file blocks/extents on disk.

Defragmentation is only a thing with HDD based storage. HDD = Hard Disk Drive = spinning disks = totally different storage technology. Flash drives not only don't require it but you really shouldn't ever run a disk defragmentation process on flash based storage drives.
Also, you can say the fragmentation is better on an SSD because it splits the data up on to multiple flash chips and data can be accessed faster across multiple chips at the same time instead of all on an single chip if they were all stacked neatly next to each other.