Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defrost is now very weak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why there are so many issues in the UK. Here -8c is a warmer day during winter, we get freezing rain snow like crazy and some rain mixed in from Dec to April not to mention it gets down to -30 sometimes and have seen an odd -40 every blue moon. Windshield washer fluid is -40c rated all year round

Windows freezing shut and doors/handles is common on all cars if mother nature throws the right ingredients at you. Never really had an issue with the Y however I do garage my car most of the time though. Most of the northern US and almost all of Canada have these conditions however I have not heard of all these complaints pointed to Teslas other than my range has substantially diminished which is true. Heating, defrosting and defogging do work well in both our Y and S.

Not sure why there are so many issues in the UK. Here -8c is a warmer day during winter, we get freezing rain snow like crazy and some rain mixed in from Dec to April not to mention it gets down to -30 sometimes and have seen an odd -40 every blue moon. Windshield washer fluid is -40c rated all year round
We don't get these extremes very often - or for very long. The last time I remember it being so cold was about 20 years ago, hence washer fluid going down to -5 is usually enough. I got caught out this time with the -10 stuff I use.

If we had these temps regularly then we wouldn't be using -5C washer fluid.

Reactions: Adopado
Prestone is good. Used that for years in my Land Rovers. Used neat it’s good for -18.
Where do you buy yours? I looked on Amazon and they had some Prestone that was rated to -10 but not more extreme than that. They have something called Jennychem Extreme but it's sold in 20 litre containers that goes to -25C ... and is nearly £50! (I also looked at Halfords online but they had a very poor selection of options ... maybe better in store.)

Where do you buy yours? I looked on Amazon and they had some Prestone that was rated to -10 but not more extreme than that. They have something called Jennychem Extreme but it's sold in 20 litre containers that goes to -25C ... and is nearly £50! (I also looked at Halfords online but they had a very poor selection of options ... maybe better in store.)
I got Prestone in Tesco in Ellon. IIRC they also do a pre-mixed version. The neat stuff is in a wee yellow bottle. Normally use something else for normal winters, but can't remember the name. I'm usually more interested in keeping the wax on my car than sub-zero temps (being in the warm West :) )

Edited to add link.

• Helpful
I got Prestone in Tesco in Ellon. IIRC they also do a pre-mixed version. The neat stuff is in a wee yellow bottle. Normally use something else for normal winters, but can't remember the name. I'm usually more interested in keeping the wax on my car than sub-zero temps (being in the warm West :) )

Edited to add link.
Damn and blast! ... just got home from a Christmas shopping outing to a big Tesco and never even looked (couldn't wait to get out of the shop to be truthful)!

Had to search email - eurocarparts.com back in 2020. Bought a 5 pack that was an offer at the time.

• Informative