TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Defrost mesh grille update

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by brianman, May 24, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#1 brianman, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
    I had a chat with Seattle Service Center about scheduling my tire rotation, and asked for an email list of what other recommended services my car should have done. The list was 8 items in addition to my two original requests (tire rotation & floor mat upgrade).

Of that list, this one makes me pause:
    I was leaning toward not getting the update. Generally the fogging up happens for me rarely and is easily addressable. I don't want a new squeak in my dash (paranoia?). Also, it might be nice to keep the original look.

For anybody who has had the update (either before getting the vehicle or as an upgrade), any regrets and/or recommendation?

Thanks.

Update:

The list of upgrades due:
    1. OCS re-zero calibration (calibration of the airbag sensing mat on the passenger seat)
    2. Defrost mesh grille update (improves the functionality of your defroster, however does change the appearance of the front part of the dash. There are slits in the improved grille)
    3. Lift gate water ingress update
    4. A/C compressor bracket adjustment and harness re-routing
    5. TPMS low pressure warning adjustment
    6. PSRCM calibration update
    7. J1772 adapter update
    8. DCDC boot loader update

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm torn on this too. I only got my car in March and so have not experienced the fogging problem to any great extent. From those who went through the winter it does sound like it was pretty bad... enough to drive Tesla to create a retrofit. I'm afraid, though, if I wait and see, they may run out of parts by next winter. Anyone know if new cars off the line are coming with the new grille factory-installed?

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari Member

Not sure about US cars but all EU cars will have the new grille by default.

4. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

There are pictures of the new grille somewhere on the forum. I forget where, unfortunately.

Did they say what's involved in doing the swap? I share your worry about creating new squeaks and rattles if they have to do a lot of disassembly. OTOH, I have a couple of squeaks and rattles in the dash now, so perhaps that would be an opportunity for them to fix those...

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No, new cars have the original grille. Canadian service is now installing the modified grilles in every car that arrives here.

Trust me, the fogging isn't a trivial problem. I did an Ottawa - Toronto road trip last winter in a snowstorm. It got so bad I couldn't see anything through the side window. The frost was so thick I couldn't even see the side rear view mirror. I had to stop at a gas station to buy a small scraper. I spent the rest of the trip scraping off the window every ten minutes.

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I'm hoping mine does not have the inserts. I love the clean look without.
    Figuring antifog wipe down, etc, and it'll be manageable. There's only a couple of days a year where I'm at, that I'd have to fight it... I figure/hope.

7. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Hmm... I'd like to see a picture of the revised vent. I picked up my 85 today and asked the Rockville MD service center about this specifically.They couldn't tell me if I had the revised vent, but suggested that the factory was incorporating revisions and TSBs in to the latest cars.

From what I'm reading here that's likely not the case.
    Off to search for that picture...

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

@Brianman, could you please share the entire list of 8 items?! Thanks.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Yah, I was planning to do so but wanted to get some replies to the original thrust before nudging it off-topic. ;)

Original post updated.

10. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

I had the vent retrofit installed awhile ago. It has caused more rattles in my car, but Tesla has said they will work on eliminating them for me. I haven't taken it in to get it fixed yet (I'm waiting for the P85 loaner cars to make it to Seattle). The revised vents do solve the fogging problem. I have told Tesla HQ about the rattle issues and I would believe that they are working on the issue. I think all they need to do to solve it is to secure the vents to the mesh grill better, put a bit of foam rubber around the vents where it contacts the plastic mesh and make sure that the rest of the mesh grill is secure to it's fastening points on the dash. I personally resorted to putting a shim made up of paper napkins under the dash between the mesh grill and the dash to help reduce the amount of rattling that was coming from the revised grill.

The vent retrofit does take away from the clean look of the dash, but you don't really notice it after a bit. When the sun is hitting the front windshield, you do see the reflection of the vents in the windshield, but it's not unique to the Model S. Every car that has the vents has the same issue if you look.

I would recommend if you don't have the vent retrofit yet to hold off getting it until you really need it (probably around the fall or winter timeframe depending on what the climate is where you live). Enjoy the car as is for the next couple of months and let Tesla refine the vents and how it connects to the grill and dash. If I had to do it over, I would not get the vents installed until the summer driving season was over.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks for sharing, Blurry. I hope they get your rattles nailed down soon.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Since we're now clear to go off topic and all... What's the AC update? Does it help with the loud sound it makes when running in hit temps?

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Dunno. I pasted what the e-mail said, and haven't followed up with them yet.

14. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Seconded.. thanks for the report. Would you by chance have a pic of what the revised vent looks like?

15. radinator

radinator Member

There is a picture of what it looks like here - #71

16. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Another issue that may have already been mentioned in this thread: the gray color of the new vents is lighter than the perforated backdrop, causing the vents to reflect on the inside of the windshield. Matte black plastic would have been a better choice.

17. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Hmm, I don't really agree with that fix unless they did some tubing re-routing along with it.

Besides, I think just fixed the rattle from the old one. (A bit of jewelry glue; it is like stickier clear caulk) The rattle was only noticeable after a while on the road, I think materials had to warm up a bit.

18. William13

William13 Member

I would suggest that different cars were variably affected. Don't get rattles if yours is as good as mine. I noticed the issue but would not get a fix for my car. I like the mesh and 5 to 60 seconds of defrost fixes my minor frost issues. I live in 70 inches of snow yearly.

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've posted these before... but since you asked:

IMG_1561.JPG
    Before

IMG_1560.JPG
    After

Just about every other car on the market looks like "After", so it's not something you'll really think is out of place.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks for reposting the pics, Doug_G.