Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defrost mesh grille update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are current vehicles shipping with the substandard vent then?

I hope so, because the 'defrost mesh grille' version IMO was more of a 'quick hack job' to get something working for those northerners. I say that because it leaves a 'nasty reflection' in the front windshield that is distracting when driving. Have you ever thrown papers or something up on your dash and reflects (or causes a ghost image) up on your windshield that is very distracting when driving? Yep. That's what Tesla's 'defrost mesh grille' does. I would definitely *not* want this on my Model S.

As I understand, anyone with an old-style grill will get to keep it unless they want it replaced due to poor defrosting performance -- it's a TSB. I do too prefer the original grill.

I had the retrofit grill placed into the screen and finally have used it extensively with the colder weather. It 100% fixed my fogging issue. Thanks Tesla. Was wondering how newer cars look in regards to the defroster. Screen? Grill? Combo?

I had my vents upgraded late in the season last winter, so I didn't really get a good chance to check their effectiveness under extreme conditions. Now that I've driven in extreme cold (-21C) I'm prepared to draw a verdict on the effectiveness of the vent upgrade. Thumbs up!

With the upgrade the front window is much less prone to fogging up. In most situations I don't even have to turn on the defog setting; I can just leave it on Auto. When it does start fogging, pressing the defog button clears the entire windshield quickly and effectively.

The side windows are still a bit more prone to fog up than the windshield, especially on the driver's side. However, they do clear when you push the defog button, which is a massive improvement from before I had the vents. Last year I had the driver's side window completely ice over, to the point of having to stop and buy a scraper.

In the really cold weather, I have had a bit of fogging, but I believe when in Auto, Tesla sometimes has Recirculate on. If I over-ride the Auto setting and put it on outside air, the fogging stops. You should NEVER use recirculate in the cold, and I am surprised Tesla's Auto mode would do this. It's fine in the summer with a/c, but not in the cold with heat.

In the really cold weather, I have had a bit of fogging, but I believe when in Auto, Tesla sometimes has Recirculate on. If I over-ride the Auto setting and put it on outside air, the fogging stops. You should NEVER use recirculate in the cold, and I am surprised Tesla's Auto mode would do this. It's fine in the summer with a/c, but not in the cold with heat.

They have no really cold weather in California, so no experience:)

Hi all.

I'm compiling a list of minor issues for a possible Ranger visit. I don't have the defrost vent upgrade yet. It hasn't been a major issue for me except on a couple of occasions in the summer, hot humid with A/C and the only real way to completely defrost the glass is to turn it on high which blasts hot air. Not an optimal setting in the summer and I don't like to mess with custom settings when driving or for a short drive. The in between defrost setting where you can adjust the temp doesn't work well for this.

Anyway, all the comments in this thread relate to cold weather defrost. Any comments on how it works for summertime defrost, particularly for the "in between" defrost setting?

Not humid enough to tell here, but the old system mostly had problems getting enough air to the left side of the windshield. Based on the improved winter performance, I can't but help think it would vastly improve summer defog as well. Although the grill reflection immediately caught my eye after the upgrade, I quit noticing it in a few minutes. When I checked out my other cars, their grills were just as noticeable, but I must have tuned them out from the get-go.

Had mine upgraded today. No issues at all they did it super fast. I haven't had the chance to test them yet.

Yes the reflection does suck but I was warned about that and already saw it on the loaners

Have my car in for service for a few days. Am still considering this but I have noticed the reflection too.

Is this still a worthwhile upgrade for those who got it done?