Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defrost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a very rainy day in my part of the country. They said it was the ninth wettest day on record and it was a little on the warm side with high near 80s (it is Arizona we will take any break we can get). While driving to dinner tonight we rolled the car out of the garage and while we were driving the front windshield fogged up. We turned on the front defogger/defroster but in some ways in made it worse. I have included two pictures so you can see how bad it is. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or what was done to resolve it.

It also appears one of our rear windows might be leaking as the inside was somewhat wet when my wife went to her car after work. But that is a separate issue that I am sure will result in a trip to a service center.

IMG_5827.jpeg IMG_5828.jpeg

Yeah it is the same for the M3, but that seem to make it worse. Not sure if it did not clear up because it was unusually warm and humid, but I am guessing places like Florida have warm humid days.
Did you ever figure out what to do in this situation? Last night it was a humid 68 degree night and we had the same problem. It was difficult to see clearly and felt a bit dangerous. Maybe there is an easy solution I don't know about. Though, we didn't have any moisture inside the car but clearly the wiper blades were pulling off moisture as it accumulated on the windshield edge.

was the fog on the outside or inside surface of the windshield? If on the inside, running the A/C unit, even if not in defrost mode, will clear it up. If on the outside, do not let cabin temps get too low. Turn off all HVAC and let the outside air bring the glass to outside ambient temps. You're basically raising the glass temp above the current dew point. If you have to condition the inside, run the heated defroster. That should blow hot air on the glass while the other vents blow conditioned air into the cabin.

was the fog on the outside or inside surface of the windshield? If on the inside, running the A/C unit, even if not in defrost mode, will clear it up. If on the outside, do not let cabin temps get too low. Turn off all HVAC and let the outside air bring the glass to outside ambient temps. You're basically raising the glass temp above the current dew point. If you have to condition the inside, run the heated defroster. That should blow hot air on the glass while the other vents blow conditioned air into the cabin.

Yeah, it's an interesting side effect of the new blower system. I love the infinitely adjustable nature of airflow but that it always has partial airflow directed at the front wind shield causes issues to a greater degree than other vehicles. Can't complain too much since it is a first of its kind system and will be tweaked later but still kind of annoying.

For interior accumulation simply keeping your interior windshield surface super clean helps a lot. Gives the vapor less to cling to. Outside accumulation not a lot of passive things to do.