Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defroster behavior - odd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo - At the risk of piling on to the "this car needs some work/redesign for cold-weather climates" theme, I've noticed a very odd behavior related to the defroster.

Here's the scenario - you know your car is covered with snow / frost / ice so you turn on your climate from the app before going to the car. You arrive at the car to see that the windows have started to defrost but haven't finished. You get into the car to put your stuff down. When you get in, the car reverts to your last climate settings from when you were last in the car. OK - no big deal. You reach over and turn the front defroster to HI and rear defroster on.

Then you decide that you don't want to wait for the defrosters to do all the work so you will get out to scrape. So you get out of the car and close the door behind you.

What does the car do???? what's the LEAST logical thing for the car to do in this situation????

Yes - it turns the climate off (including the defroster) as if you were walking away. Even if you leave the phone in the car, it appears to know that you are no longer in the drivers seat and it turns everything off. So there you are scraping ice/frost/snow off the car while the damn defroster is off inside.

Tesla - this is an easy software fix (that if you had EVER tested this car over an extended period of time in winter climates you would have fixed already.)

If I get in the car and turn on HI front defrost and turn on rear defrost and then leave my phone in the car to get out - LEAVE THE DAMN CLIMATE ON! At least for a few minutes.

End of rant.

PS - As a preemptive reply... yes I know that with the recent updates I could go into climate and click "leave climate on" every time, but the point is that you shouldn't have to do that. This is like a normal every-day occurrence in cold climates. The software should handle it.