Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defroster cracked windshield on ‘19 model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cold day- preheated car and came out to a cracked windshield low on the glass where the heat comes out of the dash. Wasn’t cracked when parked night before. Is this a common risk when preheating a cold car? Will Tesla cover it under warranty? Thanks

Attachments

• 091BCCAF-9D15-4482-9233-998E9C09AAB3.jpeg
    091BCCAF-9D15-4482-9233-998E9C09AAB3.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 722
My wife had a hit on our S windshield. It was a small one near the vents. She even told me. Car was outside at hotel. Pre-heated and came out to a crack. You showed us the inside of your window. I showed you the outside and inside of mine. So there is no contact anywhere on the outside? Maybe some pics of the outside of the crack might help before contacting Tesla for warranty.

Tesla will not cover this is my super unqualified opinion. Maybe if you drove down the road after pick up, but not on a 2019 model S.PXL_20220116_230024462.MP.jpgPXL_20220116_230043453.MP.jpg

It would be hard to prove that the crack wasn’t caused by something else. Most insurance companies cover windshield replacement, so just get it fixed and don’t waste your time trying to get Tesla to pay for it.
Thanks. I guess I won’t blast the preheat anymore. $1240 through Safelite. Sheesh.
I only have had mine for two winters and haven’t had unfortunate situation with preheating. I’m still inclined to heat the cabin if the temp. are below 50F...
I love the feature too. Wonder if it times out after a spell. If not, maybe it should to prevent this from happening.

Does preheating create a different risk compared to turning up the heat and defroster when you get into the car? It seems like the windshield would encounter the same thermal stress either way? Does preheating blast the heat more aggressively than normal?

Ben

PS. We had a similar looking crack recently, low on the windshield. Ours turned out to have started from a rock impact below the visible part of the windshield, similar to the second post.

Turns out that’s exactly what happened. Tesla service pointed out a tiny chip at the bottom of the windshield, invisible from the inside. The crack apparently spread from there- hence no warranty coverage. Seems like they were open to covering it if there was no chip. So, blast away with the preheating worry free, as that theory of mine missed the mark. Chalk it up to shitty winter roads in wisconsin full of loose rocks getting kicked up with snow and ice. FYI, safelite wanted $1240 for installing a new windshield. Tesla is charging $847.

Reactions: BQst
This happened to a buddy of mine on his 2020 MS from a tiny chip in the lower right side. He moved it from his heated garage to his very cold driveway and left it there where it got covered with snow. When he removed the snow the entire window looked shattered. His insurance covered the cost and arranged for Tesla to replace it. He had to pay labor of a little over $200.