Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - DeFuniak Springs, FL (I-10 between Tallahassee & Pensacola)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 57165

This map shows the currently planned Supercharger Stations through 2015. This suggests that there won't be one for Tallahassee within the 2015 planning horizon. However, the distance between the planned DeFuniak Springs Station and the now operational Lake City Station is excessively long at over 220 miles. As you say Tallahassee would be the logical place to place a Supercharger Station to split the distance.

It sure looks like a red dot on that map between the Chattahoochee River and Tallahassee, just west of Tallahassee. Of course, these maps have proven to be less than perfect, but more "broad intent."

I completely agree; for reasonable Supercharger spacing, something is needed between between Lake City and DeFuniak Springs. On flat ground, spacing somewhere between 90 and 133 miles is perfect. Tallahassee would fit that criterion well.

It sure looks like a red dot on that map between the Chattahoochee River and Tallahassee, just west of Tallahassee. Of course, these maps have proven to be less than perfect, but more "broad intent."

Yes, I was referring to the "broad intent" of the maps which only shows two planned Supercharger Stations west of Lake City and we now know that the one closest to Lake City is DeFuniak Springs.

I completely agree; for reasonable Supercharger spacing, something is needed between between Lake City and DeFuniak Springs. On flat ground, spacing somewhere between 90 and 133 miles is perfect. Tallahassee would fit that criterion well.
Yes, it is reasonable to expect that eventually a Tallahassee Supercharger Station would be pursued, but of course the big question is when. The current Supercharger spacing makes it impossible for a 60 kWh Model S to make the trip between Lake City and DeFuniak Springs so I hope the Supercharger team won't wait until past 2015 before they revise the dot map to show another dot west of Lake City.

Larry

View attachment 57165

This map shows the currently planned Supercharger Stations through 2015. This suggests that there won't be one for Tallahassee within the 2015 planning horizon. However, the distance between the planned DeFuniak Springs Station and the now operational Lake City Station is excessively long at over 220 miles. As you say Tallahassee would be the logical place to place a Supercharger Station to split the distance.

Yes, I was referring to the "broad intent" of the maps which only shows two planned Supercharger Stations west of Lake City and we now know that the one closest to Lake City is DeFuniak Springs.

Look at the map more closely and compare it to the Google Map below. The dot just to the west of Lake City looks like it's between the Chattahoochee River and Tallahassee, just west of Tallahassee, and the next one to the west looks like DeFuniak Springs.

From Lake City, FL to DeFuniak Springs, FL - Google Maps:

Florida Superchargers.jpg

Look at the map more closely and compare it to the Google Map below. The dot just to the west of Lake City looks like it's between the Chattahoochee River and Tallahassee, just west of Tallahassee, and the next one to the west looks like DeFuniak Springs.

From Lake City, FL to DeFuniak Springs, FL - Google Maps:

View attachment 57189
I don't disagree. It's just that the advent of the DeFuniak Springs Supercharger may put the Tallahassee Supercharger in question.
In the next revision if both dots are shown that would be a good sign that Tallahassee is still on the drawing board.

Larry

Remember Tesla says the dots on the future maps are to highlight routes, and don't necessarily indicate exact locations.
Yes, as was stated "broad intent". However, now that we have two definitive locations more than 220 miles apart we can be fairly certain that a Tallahassee area location will eventually be pursued to make the distance more reasonable. We just don't know when.

Larry

I've been to Panama City twice now, driving up 19 to Tallahassee, charging at Kraft Nissan on the east side of town and then making to to PCB, where we have a condo. There is a new solar charging station at Gulf Coast State College on campus, J1772, that the professors were excited that I brought my Tesla by to charge there. I actually didn't need a charge, but they wanted to see if it worked. It did, but only 10-12 miles per hr. My daughter used to work there, so I had connections. I encouraged them to advertise it on Plug Share, but they have to get it approved by their Board, yada-yada.

I'm also petitioning my condo, Moonspinner, on the east end of the beach, next to the St Marks State Park, to put a destination charger in for their EV guests. It would be the first one on the beach, I think. They were very intrigued as I presented it at their last board meeting. This area of the state is very backward, so it may take a while to catch them up. But I'm doing all I can!

Is it true there will not be a SC in Tallahassee?!? It seems like such a logical place for one.

Thanks. My grandmothers dryer is in the garage and is a NEMA 10-30. Tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a new adapter. Is the J1772 at Gulf Coast in a public area? My grandmothers house is just across the bridge. It would be nice to have an emergency backup.

Re Tallahassee, I always have assumed the Tesla map showed one just west of Tallahassee. Hopefully that will happen, as it will make the Tallahassee run easier.

Called the city and the next steps for this SC will be on the docket for the Sept. 8th City Council meeting. Anyone local that can sit in the meeting and update the group next Monday?

Called the city and the next steps for this SC will be on the docket for the Sept. 8th City Council meeting. Anyone local that can sit in the meeting and update the group next Monday?

+1 ....

... I am in that position where I would like to get to Titusville in early December (from Dallas). Need several pieces of the puzzle to fall into place (Sulphur area, Baton Rouge area, Mobile/Pensacola area, Defuniak, Tallahasee area).

That gives them (me) about 12 weeks to bite nails. May be taking the other vehicle ....

This is from the City Council meeting agenda for this evening - see item 9C:

9. CITYMANAGER,SARABOWERS:

1. (A) [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]Adopt Resolution 2014-11[/COLOR]
  2. (B) [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]Request Approval of Florida Municipal Insurance Trust Renewal Quote for 2014-2015[/COLOR]
  3. (C) [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]Tesla
    [/COLOR]Action: Proceed through the special approval process or approve the installation of theirsupercharger station upon acceptance of their final design and ground lease

Meeting is tonight at 6:00pm CT if anyone is in the area...

City council passed with no special approval needed. According to the City Manager's office, it will be at the following location, on 10th St between Hwy 90 and Baldwin Ave, or about 2.2 miles from I-10. They expect it to be complete "before end of year". Hopefully sooner...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3....1168389,226m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

DeFuniak Springs TM.JPG

Within walking distance of the lake, however from this map it doesn't look like there are many food options nearby:
DeFuniak Springs TM2.JPG

Thanks for the information.

From Google maps information if the location is accurate it's not one of the best selections in terms of nearby amenities.

Do you happen to know if anything is going in at that corner in what appears to be a vacant lot?

Larry

Larry - I didn't ask about other things planned for that corner. Agreed it is pretty sparse pickings nearby.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Since as you say there are pretty sparse pickings nearby, it can't help us from wondering if we won't eventually see a more suitable location emerging, or something of value planned for that vacant lot. Tesla has a track record of locating Supercharger Stations in more suitable locations.

Larry

Since as you say there are pretty sparse pickings nearby, it can't help us from wondering if we won't eventually see a more suitable location emerging, or something of value planned for that vacant lot. Tesla has a track record of locating Supercharger Stations in more suitable locations.

Tesla is usually pretty good about siting Superchargers, but not always. You haven't been to Gallup, NM, I bet...talk about spare pickin's... Gallup, NM Supercharger - Google Maps

Tesla is usually pretty good about siting Superchargers, but not always. You haven't been to Gallup, NM, I bet...talk about spare pickin's... Gallup, NM Supercharger - Google Maps

In Florida Tesla's track record has been excellent. Even in less populated areas such as Lake City the locations have been well-sited.

Call me an optimist, but I can't help but hope that as we obtain additional information a more suitable location in DeFuniak Springs will emerge.

In reviewing your Gallup location it is right off of a major highway with a few nearby restaurants available. For this potentional location we are dealing with driving more than two miles to get to a location with very few nearby restaurants.

Larry

Last edited:
There's no action ongoing to move it anywhere else or re-plan a new location. Current location isn't as convenient as most other SCs but on-par with SCs placed in cities of similar size and with similar population. The placement is priced right for Tesla, convenient for the city (to attract commerce) to approve, and greatly simplifies things for CHELCO. The utility company is a local co-op and not a super regional/urban provider. It certainly IS possible to place it closer to the interstate but it would be significantly more costly and the city council would be less motivated to approve (unless made much more financially attractive by Tesla). This SC placement will likely be one of least resistance.

DFS is just the waypoint in the middle of nowhere based on distance between major points on the planned corridor. As long as Tallahassee and the western connection point are well-placed for amenities, no harm, no foul in my opinion.