TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DeFuniak Springs, FL Supercharger (I-10 between Tallahassee & Pensacola)

Discussion in 'Florida' started by memcd, Jun 14, 2014.

1. raddoc001

raddoc001 Member

I have a condo in Ariel Dunes II in Miramar Beach. There is no charging facility there. It would be great if there was a HPWC in the vicinity. SC in DeFuniac Springs will be a great beginning though.

2. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Thanks for posting pics!!

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

We really need DESTINation charging in Destin! I had emailed the Embassy Suites and the Sandestin Golf and Beach Club in the fall saying we were interested in vacationing in Destin next year and telling them about Tesla's destination charging program, and got no response. I also emailed the destination charging team asking them to follow up with the locations and heard nothing back from them either.

4. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

hopefully those are old photos. Otherwise looks like the construction is not as far along as noted earlier.

5. ThinkingAboutIt

I took these yesterday. The base of the transformer are completed. I believe what is needed the connections. I spoke to the assistant manager and he indicated that the contractor started on this project three weeks ago. They have been hampered by the weather and a small issue which they have resolved. This is the same contractor that installed Greenville and Auburn, AL.

6. caddieo

caddieo Member

It seems to me that quite of few of the recent constructions/openings are head-in instead of back-in arrangements. That should be good news to those who are leery of backward maneuvering.

7. isomrivers

isomrivers Member

Any word on SC for the Tallahassee, Fl area? It appears to be so important for travel on I-10.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

But you have to back out again.... ;-)

9. caddieo

caddieo Member

Some backing-ups are apples and other backing-ups are oranges. :tongue:

10. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

Hi Isom,

Yes, I agree particularly if you in a Model S with a 60 kWh battery.

Tesla has been scouting two locations in the Tallahassee area, but it has been slow going.

Larry

11. Easternshorefly

Easternshorefly New Member

I spoke with the Contractor yesterday about the construction schedule and was told that testing of the facility will occur on January 8th. Sounds like their may be some landscaping that will remain outstanding on that date but the charging equipment, according to the contractor, should be functional by next weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

there, not their. Sorry, sloppy typing on phone.

12. raddoc001

raddoc001 Member

Any update?

13. ThinkingAboutIt

DeFuniak Springs is live according on Tesla website!!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say "according to Tesla website." I am so excited about this SC because this is less than 40 miles from my beach house. It will facilitate travel from Atlanta to Santa Rosa Beach.

14. mwoz

mwoz Member

The main supercharger page still has it greyed out, and the total hasn't been increased so I'm skeptical. The interactive map does show it live, but with five stalls. I've only seen even number of stalls. Any way it's close, and will certainly operational by the time my X arrives!

15. BlueShift

BlueShift Member

The per site page is available for DeFuniak.

Find Us | Tesla Motors

As far as I'm aware that correlates with the actual opening 100% so far. So, good chance that it is actually open.

Florida is now tied with Arizona for 2nd place: Superchargers

16. Karma

Karma Member

This is great news. Also showing on supercharge.info. Just need something between Lake City and Defuniak to provide the 60's with some extra range, as well as the Mobile/Gulfport/Ocean Springs region to get everyone to NOLA. Great work. Big week for America's best car company!

17. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

Unfortunately, while that red dot in-between Lake City and Defuniak is on the "2015" supercharger map, it is not listed as "Coming Soon" ... Will probably be a few months.

I've done that drive before in a rental ICE, and it's pretty similar to Alligator Alley ... complete middle of nowhere, and nobody is going 70MPH. With current software, P85D will be able to complete this with a range charge at 70MPH cruise control probably, but you may not be sane by the time you make it to the other side.

Hopefully Tallahassee goes live sooner than currently implied.

18. Karma

Karma Member

I've made this trip countless times to my inlay's home in Mississippi. The SC network, and the ability to make the trip in our Model S, was a HUGE factor in "selling" the Tesla concept to my wife. We've been watching this stretch for over 2 years, and while we're happy with DF Springs coming online, we just can't understand why a) it wasn't in Marianna (closer to Lake City) or b) why nothing yet in Tallahassee.
    Hopefully by Thanksgiving 2015, all will be corrected. If not, I'm driving the Outback to MS, and fully unable to show off the Model S to the in-laws.

19. smil3193

smil3193 Owner (S85)

Just a note to say that I visited the DeFuniak Springs supercharger twice on a round trip last week from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. On the return trip, I stayed at the Hotel DeFuniak and definitely recommend it. It's in the historic district just 2 blocks from the supercharger, in a restored building built in 1920 as a Masonic Lodge. It's listed as "One of Florida's Top Ten B&B Inns" and the restaurant was really good, too. The owners, Tom and Pam Hutchins, are on site and as I was eating a delicious dinner of red snapper fresh from the Gulf, Pam stopped by my table to ask if everything was okay. The next morning, Tom was cooking blueberry pancakes for breakfast. If your timing includes an overnight stay or even just a meal, I recommend this place. The lake is easy walking distance from the supercharger, too. You can walk around the lake or out on a public pier to stretch your legs a bit after a long ride in the car.

• Disagree x 1
  20. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Would mods consider spinning off post #79 into a thread entitled something like "Great Hotels on the Supercharger Highway"?