Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - DeFuniak Springs, FL (I-10 between Tallahassee & Pensacola)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the reopening of that business would go a long way to alleviate the desolation factor of that SpC location.
Hotel Defuniak & Tropicana Club Florida, formally Hotel DeFuniak Springs, reopened two weeks ago. It is located only about 3 blocks from the Tesla Chargers. We had a nice dinner there on Dec 11th after a beautiful walk around Lake DeFuniak adorned with over six million Christmas lights. HotelDeFuniak.net. 850-610-8849

• Informative
Reactions: Larry Chanin
Hotel Defuniak & Tropicana Club Florida, formally Hotel DeFuniak Springs, reopened two weeks ago. It is located only about 3 blocks from the Tesla Chargers. We had a nice dinner there on Dec 11th after a beautiful walk around Lake DeFuniak adorned with over six million Christmas lights. HotelDeFuniak.net. 850-610-8849
Thanks for the information and welcome to the forums. Are you Robert?

Larry

Just drove to Orlando from Austin and back. Stopped here two times on the way to Orlando and both times were on a Saturday. First time we stopped at Whataburger on the way to the supercharger to get food because we were hungry for dinner and good thing we did because I didn't realize how little there is there by the supercharger. The second time on the way back I figured we could walk around and find a restroom somewhere. The pizza place was open on the end of the street a couple blocks away but we didn't go in. Also if you walk down by the lake there is an outdoor amphitheater. On the back (lake) side of the amphitheater stage building there is a bathroom that was open on Saturday afternoon. Just adding that here because it isn't obvious and it was the only bathroom open besides the pizza place. It had big steel doors on it they could lock so not sure if it would be open off hours. Plus it might be sketchy at night. This is a really poor place for a supercharger though.

OBQiJJs.jpg

Stopped by today at 5am.
map showed two occupied stalls. None occupied upon arrival. the charge cords for stall 1A & 1B we’re both flipped over the top.
stall 1A has no lights on at all. I assume both of these are out of service. Didn’t have time to go try them out unfortunately.

I go to The Villages in Lady Lake, FL to visit relatives. Usually stop at the Defuniak supercharger to get a "boost" to Tallahassee. I do like the DeFuniak charger for one reason. You can pull straight in. Don't have to back in. I don't know why more Supercharger stations aren't designed this way.

DeFuniak is only about 60 miles into my trip, so I'm looking forward to the Marianna Supercharge coming online. Whenever that happens. Stopping there will get me past Tallahassee, which is almost always crowded (6 stalls). So when Marianna comes online I could easily just go on to Live Oak (12 stalls). And now that there's a charger in Lady Lake, I don't have to top off at Ocala. One less stop which will make the trip a lot easier.

I don't know why more Supercharger stations aren't designed this way.
Charging posts are damaged more frequently in this configuration requiring maintenance and repair more often. And for the users it's safer pull out forwards into the traffic lane than to have to back out because it is easier to see any cross traffic. Though this second point is less of an issue when the parking stalls are angled like in DeFuniak,

I've been to this site a number of times and don't like the arrangement, for several reasons
  • To get the car's charge port close enough to the charging post and be able to open the door to get out, I had to park with one tire halfway up the curb. Front bumper blocked the sidewalk.
  • This on a public street, with a nominal amount of traffic. Rear bumper exposed to bad drivers. This wouldn't be so bad if it was in a parking lot.
These are configuration problems. And of course, this site has amenity problems. No viable bathrooms, food or retail nearby. But that's a different angle from your comments.