Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Degradation in Premium Audio Quality/Bass Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked previous posts but couldn't find any similar comments regarding a degradation in audio quality - I seem to have lost a lot of bass and "oomph" in my Premium audio system recently (M3 LR).

Something is definitely not right and have tried adjusting all the different audio options/equaliser/balance settings and trying to check if all the speakers are working but still can't quite understand why I've lost some of the deep bass (the type that shakes your insides and rattles the car trim!).

I've used Spotify, Tune-in and phone audio sources but no change to the sound quality. Playing the same songs which I know gave me a great audio experience now don't sound as powerful.

I'm not sure when it changed but may have happened since 24.6.9 was installed about 1 week ago (I haven't driven the car much the past week so only just noticed).

Does anyone have any experience of this or of speaker performance being reduced either due to software, loose connectors or a fault with a speaker which reduced the bass in particular? Can you damage a system by playing music too loud that it somehow damages the physical parts of the speaker or do they generally just die rather than half-work?

Any advice appreciated before I raise a service request in the app. Thx.

Mikee

Can you feel the sub woofer working in the RHS of the boot? This should be very noticeable and if not, I’d suspect that is the problem.

In earlier M3’s there was a bass port through the rear shelf though this has gone in later versions when they gave a wider rear screen gutter. I have the later version without that port. I’m not sure how the bass gets into the cabin now so easily. If it’s still through vibrating the parcel shelf then I’ve buggered that by adding sound insulation.

Reactions: MikeeUK
Can you feel the sub woofer working in the RHS of the boot? This should be very noticeable and if not, I’d suspect that is the problem.

In earlier M3’s there was a bass port through the rear shelf though this has gone in later versions when they gave a wider rear screen gutter. I have the later version without that port. I’m not sure how the bass gets into the cabin now so easily. If it’s still through vibrating the parcel shelf then I’ve buggered that by adding sound insulation.

Thanks...will go out and check shortly and report back. Will also try doing a hard reset to see if that makes any difference.

im on 24.6.9 as well and I noticed the same yesterday - overall punch from the audio system is missing vs. before...I. dont drive much now so wasn't sure if I was making it up or not...but it had me checking phone volume, trying diff sources, etc...

Music has always been a big thing for me (hifi system worth considerably more than the car). Spotify or most music played from a phone sounds great on the Tesla Premium Sound system but if lossless FLAC or mp3 320 (which is close) is played from a USB drive or phone this really shows up what's possible.

If you want to test bass, Earth Wind & Fire - Lets Groove, Michael Jackson - Billie Jean/Beat It or Peter Gabriel Sledgehammer are well mixed mainstream songs that have tight, punchy bass & exceptional recording quality (as is most Steely Dan). Maybe the latest updates have reduced power draw to the subwoofer?

I've driven with low volume music/higher volume wife recently so need to have a solo drive to check if 24.6.9 has done as suggested (Thursday will have +250 mile solo journey)

So I just checked out the sub with some deep bass tracks.....on 3/4 volume and max bass on the EQ, should it be really heavily vibrating my hand when placing it against the inside right rear of the trunk where the sub is located? I can feel the sub working but it's not exactly pumping out huge levels.

I've no idea what it might have felt like before as I never needed to check....but definitely something wrong somewhere.