Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Degradation is happening too quickly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also heard supercharging helps a lot actually, in fact the irony is the more you supercharge the slower the degradation. Someone posted a photo with data and I wish i can find it so I can post it here.

As an example, someone who supercharges at least once a week vs someone who does once a month suffers slower degradation over time if I can remember correctly.

It's the Max Range survey. Early data suggested it but it was just an artifact of the low number of data points. Currently the data doesn't show any correlation to the frequency of supercharging. It also shows no correlation between daily charge level or frequency of charging to 100% in regards to degradation. It is a well known fact though that higher charge levels do cause higher degradation. This survey is just based on what users say or think their behavior is. It's not a good way to collect data. I would take these results with a grain of salt. Tesla officially said that frequent Supercharging does affect battery aging. The fact that the 90 pack gets power limited after a certain amount of DC fast charging is another piece of evidence.

MaxRange Tesla battery survey

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
was it ever 296-7? I remember hearing like 100% is 290. That has been my impression since I got my car. I get like 292-3 at 100%

I'm really curious as to how the new drive units affect range and efficiency. Since they were only released back in July it hasn't been a full year and probably not enough data.

Oh yes, i was consistently getting 296/297 as advertised for at least the first four or five months

I also heard supercharging helps a lot actually, in fact the irony is the more you supercharge the slower the degradation. Someone posted a photo with data and I wish i can find it so I can post it here.

As an example, someone who supercharges at least once a week vs someone who does once a month suffers slower degradation over time if I can remember correctly.
Tesla tracks how many times you've DC charged and starts throttling your charge rate after a certain number of charges to protect the longevity of the battery. I read somewhere that Tesla starts counting at 40 kW charge rate and higher, so it includes CHAdeMO. Given this, it's clear that supercharging often is not good.

Reactions: David99