Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delaware Tesla Owners needed to share 200 kW Solar Array

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to develop a 200 kW PV solar farm in Northern Delaware. Under the Delmarva Community Energy Facility rate Tariff members of the Community can share in the PV production on there own meters. I am looking for about 20 members; any interest?

Tell us more about the program- up front costs? Ongoing costs?

I'm a northern Delaware soon to be Tesla owner. I have solar panels on my garage that cover about two thirds of my annual usage right now...

The idea of the Community Energy Facility is very similar to your current Net Metered Solar PV ; except one large array can serve the needs of a "Community" of users. The users need not be physically connected ; but they need to have a "unique common set of interests". This is where the Community would be Tesla owners of Delaware.

The idea of the Community Energy Facility is very similar to your current Net Metered Solar PV ; except one large array can serve the needs of a "Community" of users. The users need not be physically connected ; but they need to have a "unique common set of interests". This is where the Community would be Tesla owners of Delaware.

Absolute and completely useless aside: I stopped in your small town last year and got gas for our Volt. Unfortunately we couldn't find somewhere we wanted to eat, otherwise we'd have eaten there as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke and MB30
Absolute and completely useless aside: I stopped in your small town last year and got gas for our Volt. Unfortunately we couldn't find somewhere we wanted to eat, otherwise we'd have eaten there as well.
Thanks for stopping; but FYI Delaware is not a "small town" but actually it's own State. In fact it was the very First State of the Union.

Thanks for stopping; but FYI Delaware is not a "small town" but actually it's own State. In fact it was the very First State of the Union.

Your location is listed as Tyrone, PA. We filled up the Volt at the Sheetz there. Since we prefer to eat at independent places rather than chains, we tried to find the Italian restaurant but couldn't spot it. Being hungry and on a long day's drive to Pittsburgh we headed back onto the highway and ended up settling for Chipotle in Altoona. :(

Anyway, I hope you get some takers for the array.

Tell us more about the program- up front costs? Ongoing costs?

I'm a northern Delaware soon to be Tesla owner. I have solar panels on my garage that cover about two thirds of my annual usage right now...
Yeah, I think you should provide more details. I'm sure there's plenty of interest given the right structure. And before you think I'm butting in from California, I have a direct Delaware connection and could be interested in participating.

Your location is listed as Tyrone, PA. We filled up the Volt at the Sheetz there. Since we prefer to eat at independent places rather than chains, we tried to find the Italian restaurant but couldn't spot it. Being hungry and on a long day's drive to Pittsburgh we headed back onto the highway and ended up settling for Chipotle in Altoona. :(

Anyway, I hope you get some takers for the array.
I did not know my little town of Tyrone was shown but I would have pointed you to some nice family owned eating establishments. My business is in Delaware and that is where the array is that's where my interest is

Yeah, I think you should provide more details. I'm sure there's plenty of interest given the right structure. And before you think I'm butting in from California, I have a direct Delaware connection and could be interested in participating.
The problem is that the rate Tariff has been established but as far as I can tell has never been done in Delaware. So some of the details I don't yet know. The application form is simple enough; just need about 10 users with their meter number and signature . Things I don't know is how the money flows. I'd imagine that the CEF kWhr production offsets the user's kWhrs used. But then somehow a separate agreement needs to be made with the users and the Array owner so the array owner gets paid for the kWhrs the facility produces.

This is a great idea, and I wonder why more people don't do this. I'd love to be a part of a "utility company" where I pay for solar power, and I pay for installation, but the actual farm is not on my roof. So I can move around, change addresses, etc. without having to worry about re-install, HOA, trees, etc. etc. I wish you all the success in this project, unfortunately I'm not in DE or I would be seriously interested.

The problem is that the rate Tariff has been established but as far as I can tell has never been done in Delaware. So some of the details I don't yet know. The application form is simple enough; just need about 10 users with their meter number and signature . Things I don't know is how the money flows. I'd imagine that the CEF kWhr production offsets the user's kWhrs used. But then somehow a separate agreement needs to be made with the users and the Array owner so the array owner gets paid for the kWhrs the facility produces.
Post up the docs and application form so we can take a look.

You mentioned you were trying to build a 200 kW farm, so surely you have some more details than this - some idea of the cost involved?

I'm willing to consider investing - just like I'm considering putting the other 3.4 kW that I can have without bigger service or downgrading onto my roof - but there isn't enough information here to make an informed decision.

Saghost, We are in unchartered waters at this point so I don't have all the answers on how this works. I would envision that we put your meter on the application, then you get a "credit" for some or all of your kwHr usage based on how much electricity the solar array produced that month compared to how much use the "community" had that month. Then you would pay the "Community organizer" i.e. me for the kWhrs of solar that you received on your bill. I.e. there would not be any upfront costs for equipment on your part, just a difference in the destination of the money that you pay for the "Supply" part of your bill.