Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay Delivery Strategy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MYLR Red/White ordered on May 15, 2022 is now showing delivery for Dec 14-Dec 31 2022. Would any of you have a strategy for obtaining a Jan/Feb 2023 deliver. Our interest (of course) is to have a chance to obtain the $7500 tax rebate for 2023 deliveries. The MYLR went up $3000 since we ordered it in May 2022.

My MYLR Red/White ordered on May 15, 2022 is now showing delivery for Dec 14-Dec 31 2022. Would any of you have a strategy for obtaining a Jan/Feb 2023 deliver. Our interest (of course) is to have a chance to obtain the $7500 tax rebate for 2023 deliveries. The MYLR went up $3000 since we ordered it in May 2022.
I don’t think we are gonna have the opportunity to grab the credit. It’s really close and I’m assuming (like me) your dates have been pretty solid in the December range. My SA told me you’d have 3 days to accept the delivery once it is at the dealer. If your a late Q4 I think you just bite the bullet. An extra 4k would be nice, but I don’t want to risk being put at the back of the line…

Upvote 0
Other than cancelling, You can delay one time for 7 days.

Upvote 0
Thanks. But how do you think Tesla would react to me asking the SA to change my MYLR paint or interior color at this late date (about 6 weeks from current delivery)? My wife wants the red/white but if I changed one or both of those hoping to get a Jan or Feb delivery, then change back to red/white in (say) Jan 1st, how would Tesla react? In other words, how many times can I play that game of changing colors in order to get a 2023 delivery without them getting upset?

Upvote 0
Thanks. But how do you think Tesla would react to me asking the SA to change my MYLR paint or interior color at this late date (about 6 weeks from current delivery)? My wife wants the red/white but if I changed one or both of those hoping to get a Jan or Feb delivery, then change back to red/white in (say) Jan 1st, how would Tesla react? In other words, how many times can I play that game of changing colors in order to get a 2023 delivery without them getting upset?
I think you are too close to delivery mate to make a change. If a 2023 delivery is important to you, probably need to cancel your current order, then reorder in January.

Upvote 0
What was your original EDD on the order page when you placed your order? Tesla's current policy is that you are allowed to place your order on hold till that original EDD. So if your original EDD was "Dec 2022" then that won't work. But my guess is your original EDD was something like Jan-Mar so you will be allowed to hold to January. Just need to find an SA that knows what they are doing.

Reactions: Ken43
Upvote 0
I think you are too close to delivery mate to make a change. If a 2023 delivery is important to you, probably need to cancel your current order, then reorder in January.
If Op cancelled the current order, it is the wash. Op wants to get the tax credit and the current order was locked 3k less than current price. I am in a same situation except my order was locked in 7k less than the current price. I won’t cancel my order because I will be losing more by losing the order fee and the mobile charger.
I can delay an order for 7 days per my SA. Depends on when I get the VIN and when the car is in the service center, and it will dictate when I can schedule the pick up.

For my M3RWD, from VIN till pick day date, it was about 2 weeks gap.

Upvote 0
If Op cancelled the current order, it is the wash. Op wants to get the tax credit and the current order was locked 3k less than current price. I am in a same situation except my order was locked in 7k less than the current price. I won’t cancel my order because I will be losing more by losing the order fee and the mobile charger.
I can delay an order for 7 days per my SA. Depends on when I get the VIN and when the car is in the service center, and it will dictate when I can schedule the pick up.

For my M3RWD, from VIN till pick day date, it was about 2 weeks gap.
Fingers crossed for you guys, but I’m not banking on being able to put anything on hold in Q4. Maybe Purchase Order details have changed but mine says 3 days to take delivery, and up to 14 days to get your shiz together. Hope your plans work out.

Upvote 0
What was your original EDD on the order page when you placed your order? Tesla's current policy is that you are allowed to place your order on hold till that original EDD. So if your original EDD was "Dec 2022" then that won't work. But my guess is your original EDD was something like Jan-Mar so you will be allowed to hold to January. Just need to find an SA that knows what they are doing.
I've kept a copy of my EDD for the past 3-4 months, but none saved
Thank you so much. After searching for our original EDD for our May of 2022 MYLA and not finding it, my wife and I stopped by the showroom and talked to our SA. Sure enough she had the original EDD listed on her computer (Feb - May of 2023) and confirmed what you said about Tesla's policy for delaying our delivery day to within that original EDD time period. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Our SA immediately placed a hold on our current EDD (Dec 14-Dec 31) until Dec 31 (she could have delayed it to Feb 2023 if we wanted), so now our earliest EDD is Jan 1 2023. Now if there is a credit in 2023 we will qualify. What a relief. Thank you again!!!!

Upvote 1
I don't have an SA. I ordered online June 2022 at 3k less msrp today's price. Original edd was Mar 2023-June 2023. I don't see the edd in the order agreement. do I have to go to a Tesla showroom to put it on hold? Or do I text the number back? I got the text today saying my order is expected to be delivered in the next several weeks. EDD on my app is Dec 22-Dec 31 currently.

Upvote 0
In similar situation. Model Y LR AWD ordered May 2022 with initial estimated delivery date of Feb-May 2023. Received SMS from Tesla sales 14NOV2022 that delivery would be "in next several weeks." App says Estimated Delivery Dec 12-31. Obviously do not want to forfeit the $7500 tax credit and my may 2022 pricing is $3000 less than current..

Upvote 0
In similar situation. Model Y LR AWD ordered May 2022 with initial estimated delivery date of Feb-May 2023. Received SMS from Tesla sales 14NOV2022 that delivery would be "in next several weeks." App says Estimated Delivery Dec 12-31. Obviously do not want to forfeit the $7500 tax credit and my may 2022 pricing is $3000 less than current..
Rumor has it that they are hoping to crush Q3 deliveries with an insane dump of Q4. I’d be shocked if our May orders aren’t delivered by end of Dec.

Upvote 0
I don't have an SA. I ordered online June 2022 at 3k less msrp today's price. Original edd was Mar 2023-June 2023. I don't see the edd in the order agreement. do I have to go to a Tesla showroom to put it on hold? Or do I text the number back? I got the text today saying my order is expected to be delivered in the next several weeks. EDD on my app is Dec 22-Dec 31 currently.
I have same delivery date and I got message too stating it would be delivered in next several weeks. I call customer service to put an hold, He told my delivery date is Dec 28 th and that’s what it’s showing in system but in my app it shows as dec 23-Dec 31st.

Upvote 0
I had a similar experience to the OP. Ordered on 8/8/22 with EDD of Feb - Apr 23. We emailed our sales advisor and we were able to get a hold until 1/1/23. Not sure why we couldn't get the hold through Feb 23, but we're happy with 1/1/23. Not sure what those who don't have a sales advisor should do. Maybe go into a local showroom and ask one of those advisors??? But from what I've seen in these forums, it seems to only be possible to delay into 2023 if the start date of your EDD was Jan 23 or later.

Upvote 0