Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay Delivery Strategy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MYLR Red/White ordered on May 15, 2022 is now showing delivery for Dec 14-Dec 31 2022. Would any of you have a strategy for obtaining a Jan/Feb 2023 deliver. Our interest (of course) is to have a chance to obtain the $7500 tax rebate for 2023 deliveries. The MYLR went up $3000 since we ordered it in May 2022.

So I texted back the phone number to request to hold and they replied yes, I can hold until March 2023
I also got the message from 510 about 'great news.. expected to be delivered in the next several weeks'. I had EDD of Dec 24-31 till yesterday now today it is showing dec 1-31. When I replied to the message and requested a hold. It replied with this "Hello Sam, as there is no VIN assigned to your order, we are not able to put any hold on your order. Once a VIN is assigned, we'll be able to go over any options you have." Is this correct or are they are lying? Do you have to have vin assigned to put on a hold ? Did you have vin assigned on your online reservation?

Upvote 0
I also got the message from 510 about 'great news.. expected to be delivered in the next several weeks'. I had EDD of Dec 24-31 till yesterday now today it is showing dec 1-31. When I replied to the message and requested a hold. It replied with this "Hello Sam, as there is no VIN assigned to your order, we are not able to put any hold on your order. Once a VIN is assigned, we'll be able to go over any options you have." Is this correct or are they are lying? Do you have to have vin assigned to put on a hold ? Did you have vin assigned on your online reservation?
when did you order the tesla? what was the original edd date when you placed the order? i ordered in june 2022 and original edd was march 2023-june 2023. when i requested to hold they texted back based on your order date it looks like you're eligible to hold until march 2023. so i confirmed by text to hold and i got an email notification, i check the app now and it says your order is on hold where the edd dates used to be.

Upvote 0
when did you order the tesla? what was the original edd date when you placed the order? i ordered in june 2022 and original edd was march 2023-june 2023. when i requested to hold they texted back based on your order date it looks like you're eligible to hold until march 2023. so i confirmed by text to hold and i got an email notification, i check the app now and it says your order is on hold where the edd dates used to be.
I placed online order on 04/01/22 and there was no EDD mention in the reservation email. I amde 1 update in september from 5 seater to 7. I am assuminh you never got the VIn and they still put you on hold. Now I am wondering if I can mention I am travelling in December to try to put on hold even without VIN.

Upvote 0
I ordered a MYLR at the end of July, same price as today. Original delivery estimate was Jan to Apr 2023.

Last week got a text saying that the car is expected to be delivered in the next few weeks. I checked the app and it said Nov 29 to Dec 13th.

Today I texted my SA to say that due to health issue, I likely would not be able to buy a car in Dec and could they push it back to the original Jan-Apr timeframe.

He replied that I dont have a VIN yet, and "we cannot request a specific delivery date, not guarantee delivery dates."

So I may have to end up cancelling or having them cancel on me, and losing the $250 deposit fee.

Do they blackball you from ordering a car in the future if you cannot take delivery?

And I just checked the app and it now estimates delivery Dec 1 to Dec 29.

What to do?

Upvote 0
I ordered a MYLR at the end of July, same price as today. Original delivery estimate was Jan to Apr 2023.

Last week got a text saying that the car is expected to be delivered in the next few weeks. I checked the app and it said Nov 29 to Dec 13th.

Today I texted my SA to say that due to health issue, I likely would not be able to buy a car in Dec and could they push it back to the original Jan-Apr timeframe.

He replied that I dont have a VIN yet, and "we cannot request a specific delivery date, not guarantee delivery dates."

So I may have to end up cancelling or having them cancel on me, and losing the $250 deposit fee.

Do they blackball you from ordering a car in the future if you cannot take delivery?

What to do?
Just wait until you get a vin then see what they say. Worst case scenario, you put in another order and lose the $250. Are you eligible for the $7500? If so , you still come out ahead $7250…..

Reactions: ord3r
Upvote 0

What to do?
There may be an issue with the nomenclature. Rather than requesting a 'delivery date,' which can't be done without a VIN assigned, ask specifically to put the order on hold until a specific date. In my case, they said I could put my order on hold until the earliest date in my original delivery estimate; Jan 1, 2023. My order status is now 'On Hold'.

I don't believe that there is any policy to 'blackball' customers for canceling their orders. Earlier when they had a policy that you could return a vehicle within three days if you didn't like it, I understand they would not allow customers to order for 1 year if they returned a vehicle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There may be an issue with the nomenclature. Rather than requesting a 'delivery date,' which can't be done without a VIN assigned, ask specifically to put the order on hold until a specific date. In my case, they said I could put my order on hold until the earliest date in my original delivery estimate; Jan 1, 2023. My order status is now 'On Hold'.

I don't believe that there is any policy to 'blackball' customers for canceling their orders. Earlier when they had a policy that you could return a vehicle within three days if you didn't like it, I understand they would not allow customers to order for 1 year if they returned a vehicle.
Thanks, I didn't realize I wasn't using the correct phrasing in order to get the order postponed/on-hold.

At what point did you get your hold, i.e., after you were assigned a VIN, or pre-VIN when they added you to the production schedule?

Upvote 0
Thanks, I didn't realize I wasn't using the correct phrasing in order to get the order postponed/on-hold.

At what point did you get your hold, i.e., after you were assigned a VIN, or pre-VIN when they added you to the production schedule?

I replied to a recent text that indicated my car would be delivered in the next several weeks, which was prior to getting a VIN. Typically the VIN isn't assigned until your delivery is very close (about 2 weeks or less). They are typically flexible about holding an order prior to VIN assignment. In my recent case, they said that I could only hold my order until the earliest date of my original delivery estimate. On a different order I placed last year, I was able to put my order on hold for 10 months, but I think they have tightened up the policy.

Upvote 0
My MYLR Red/White ordered on May 15, 2022 is now showing delivery for Dec 14-Dec 31 2022. Would any of you have a strategy for obtaining a Jan/Feb 2023 deliver. Our interest (of course) is to have a chance to obtain the $7500 tax rebate for 2023 deliveries. The MYLR went up $3000 since we ordered it in May 2022.
I’m going through this right now. I can tell you I called Tesla and told them I was a navy reservist and had just gotten orders to go Chicago for training and wouldn’t be back until February (I am a veteran who served). The guy I talked to said he would send the request to his supervisors but there was no way to stop the system from cancelling the reservation if delivery isn’t done in time.

Upvote 0
I’m going through this right now. I can tell you I called Tesla and told them I was a navy reservist and had just gotten orders to go Chicago for training and wouldn’t be back until February (I am a veteran who served). The guy I talked to said he would send the request to his supervisors but there was no way to stop the system from cancelling the reservation if delivery isn’t done in time.
There are 4 Tesla stores within 30 minutes of the Navy training site here. Have it sent to one of those stores.

Upvote 0
I replied to a recent text that indicated my car would be delivered in the next several weeks, which was prior to getting a VIN. Typically the VIN isn't assigned until your delivery is very close (about 2 weeks or less). They are typically flexible about holding an order prior to VIN assignment. In my recent case, they said that I could only hold my order until the earliest date of my original delivery estimate. On a different order I placed last year, I was able to put my order on hold for 10 months, but I think they have tightened up the policy.
FrazierCO, thank you so much! With your help I was able to put my order on hold until 1/1/23.

I got notified that they expected my VIN to be assigned in the next couple of weeks. As you suggested I asked about putting the order on hold, and that did the trick.

Upvote 0