Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay Hits Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I put in my deposit, back in January, I was given an estimated delivery date of May 2008.

After the Tesla website was updated with the additional interior options, there was a note on it saying I needed to "lock in" my selections by Dec 11.

Today the message is still there, but it now reads: If you have finished configuring your car, please confirm your choices by using the "lock in your selections" button. We need to receive your choices by June 6th, 2008.

I knew something like this was coming, but seeing that date suddenly jump six months further into the future really brings it home. Very sad.

Last edited:
When I put in my deposit, back in January, I was given an estimated delivery date of May 2008. ...

I knew something like this was coming, but seeing that date suddenly jump six months further into the future really brings it home. Very sad.

When I sent in my deposit, I was given a prospective delivery date of "June 2008" with the understanding that I would have to lock in my final configuration "3 months prior to production". I took this to mean that I had until March 2008 to play with options.

When I saw a notice that I would have to lock in my choices by December 25, I e-mailed Tesla to find out what this meant. Was my production pushed up 3 months, or did I have to make up my mind 6 months ahead of time?

Neither was true. Here's what I was told:
The lock-in date that you currently see is not accurate. We are working to update these dates with the new production schedule that was just released. We will notify you well in advance of your new lock-in date of your deadline. We will also send a color selection kit for review.

I think what you are seeing is a delay of about 3 months compared to the original estimate.

Here's what my "lock-in button" says next to it now:
Ready to finalize your selections?

If you have finished configuring your car, please confirm your choices by using the "lock in your selections" button. We need to receive your choices by June 20th, 2008.

YMMV

The delay won't hit me until it pushes delivery of new orders past the Summer of '09. I want to drive a Tesla Roadster to my high school 10-year reunion :)

The only tricky part is paying for it... I'm busy working on Get-Rich-Quick plan #14, but if it doesn't work out (or turns out to be a get-rich-slow plan) I guess I'll be stuck in my MX-5 for a few more years :|

-Ryan / Kardax

Does anyone know of any owners that withdrew deposits because of the delay? Certainly can't help with the fence sitters to think they might be driving a GM Volt before Tesla can fill their order...

I understand the Volt has been moved back to 2011.

Seriously.

I haven't heard that yet. Sucks if it's right. Anywho, I still admire the early adopters who are helping build Tesla as a company. There's something to be said about transparency at this point. Yes it helps with the marketing and hype, but lookout when you can't produce. Not that I'd compare Tesla to Zap, but we've seen too many press releases that Tesla is is starting to resemble Phoenix, Zap, numerous battery manufacturers, etc.

In 2008, the only possibility I see for someone who wants to purchase and take delivery of an EV that is practical like a regular car would be Miles, and they have been dead silent.

I haven't heard that yet. Sucks if it's right. Anywho, I still admire the early adopters who are helping build Tesla as a company. There's something to be said about transparency at this point. Yes it helps with the marketing and hype, but lookout when you can't produce. Not that I'd compare Tesla to Zap, but we've seen too many press releases that Tesla is is starting to resemble Phoenix, Zap, numerous battery manufacturers, etc.

In 2008, the only possibility I see for someone who wants to purchase and take delivery of an EV that is practical like a regular car would be Miles, and they have been dead silent.
Tesla is getting a lot of press, sure, but for the most part it's not from "Press Releases" being pumped out by Tesla themselves... it's mostly "press attention" they've attracted. Don't forget they're giving out something like 12 test drives a week right now... nobody else is doing that for a non-crippled EV.

As for Miles, I wouldn't necessarily correlate silence with progress. It wouldn't surprise me if they unveiled a prototype later this year, but they'll still have to negotiate the same regulatory minefield that's giving Tesla so much grief.

-Ryan / Kardax

I'm sure you meant the Volt concept car is ugly. GM have yet to produce a Volt prototype.

And yes, I agree. It's an automotive atrocity.

Oh, and let's point out that it's mainly a concept of a platform. What'd they call it? The eFlex? I can just see the engineers cringing every time they see it in an ad. They're explaining franticly to relatives that some guy Marketing asked, hypothetically, what the thing might look like and next thing you know...

As for Miles, I wouldn't necessarily correlate silence with progress. It wouldn't surprise me if they unveiled a prototype later this year, but they'll still have to negotiate the same regulatory minefield that's giving Tesla so much grief.

-Ryan / Kardax

Why then is Miles suggesting that Tesla must comply with the regs? See airbag discussion. If I were going to start a war with potentially the only other competititor in the market, I'd make damn sure I could comply. Just a hunch, but that's why I think they're further along.