Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in Battery Heating message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you'll have to start plugging in at work again, and set a charge timer for 30mins before the end of your day or something. :)

I'm actually not that worried about it. I have mentioned previously my concern over re-gen in slippery conditions if I happen to suddenly let go of the "gas". Seems this new algorithm is taking care of that for me automatically :wink:

I received the same message for the first time yesterday. The consumption of energy used right before getting the message was alarming to me so I took this picture in case I needed to send it to the SC. I was sitting at a light and it was chewing up about 10kW of power. Then after about 5 min of driving the message finally came on.

photo.JPG

With the outside temperature somewhere just below freezing, I got the "battery heating" message this morning for the first time. Strange I don't remember ever getting it all last winter. As well, the re-gen limiting line stays on for much longer for me so far this season! I am on 4.5 still.

Not sure if this is cold-related or not, but the other day, with about 30% SOC on the battery, I would get a momentary "power limited" dashed line (not re-gen limited). This was in city traffic and would go away when I backed off the accelerator and come back on when I'd accelerate. Never saw that before either. The only other time I saw that indicator was when I was doing somewhere near 120 MPH :tongue:

Not sure if this is cold-related or not, but the other day, with about 30% SOC on the battery, I would get a momentary "power limited" dashed line (not re-gen limited). This was in city traffic and would go away when I backed off the accelerator and come back on when I'd accelerate. Never saw that before either. The only other time I saw that indicator was when I was doing somewhere near 120 MPH :tongue:
If seen this before with a > 80% SOC battery after going downhill in cold weather a few minutes after beginning the trip from home to work. Just another data point. The fastest speed on that trip to that point was around 53mph.

Here some really limited regen. It was about 26˚ F. the night before, and the battery was very well cold soaked. The message came about 5 minutes later. Notice the W-hr/mile plot that comes from mountain driving... The real problem from this limit of regen is not capturing the downhill of 700 feet or so in the first 2 miles out of my driveway.

Limited Regen.JPG

You will not see the battery heating message, if you have your HVAC system set to Range Mode. Disable that, and you will get the message.

Pre-heating the car will also not heat the battery if Range Mode is enabled.

Good to know... I've been using range mode since this summer to minimize AC compressor noise.

Got some testing to do!

You will not see the battery heating message, if you have your HVAC system set to Range Mode. Disable that, and you will get the message.

Ahhh... I missed that earlier. That would explain it for me, then. I've left mine in Range Mode because even in the high 20's the cabin is nice and warm. Figured I didn't need to waste energy if I don't have to. Does Range Mode mean the battery heater is off too? That might explain why my re-gen limiter stays on for almost an hour / 50 miles.

Ahhh... I missed that earlier. That would explain it for me, then. I've left mine in Range Mode because even in the high 20's the cabin is nice and warm. Figured I didn't need to waste energy if I don't have to. Does Range Mode mean the battery heater is off too? That might explain why my re-gen limiter stays on for almost an hour / 50 miles.

I think that may be the case. I was also in range mode, turned it off today and got the battery heating message. Regen limit went away much sooner today than yesterday.

I think that may be the case. I was also in range mode, turned it off today and got the battery heating message. Regen limit went away much sooner today than yesterday.

So, then that begs the question: If Range Mode disables the battery heater, Is it better for the battery to leave the car in "Normal" mode and sacrifice a bit of range or am I okay to continue to use Range Mode and save a bit of energy. I assume that Tesla is smart enough to turn the battery heater on, even if in Range Mode, if the battery gets too cold.

So, then that begs the question: If Range Mode disables the battery heater, Is it better for the battery to leave the car in "Normal" mode and sacrifice a bit of range or am I okay to continue to use Range Mode and save a bit of energy. I assume that Tesla is smart enough to turn the battery heater on, even if in Range Mode, if the battery gets too cold.

Not sure but I will say that I seemed to get better range today by turning off range mode than I did yesterday with it on. Not enough data to make a conclusion but enough to make me interested.

Not sure but I will say that I seemed to get better range today by turning off range mode than I did yesterday with it on. Not enough data to make a conclusion but enough to make me interested.

I found this to be true in the summer as well. -1 C today, no heating message or regen bars. Range mode is always off.

I should clairify myself.

With range mode on, you will still have battery heater, though, it will kick in at a much lower tempetature. At this time, I do not know what that lower temp is, but I would say closer to 5degrees F to prevent battery damage.
With range mode on, you also will not have battery heater on shore power until much cooler temps. I believe this to be a firmware flaw that Tesla should change.

I don't really want to see this "battery heating" message as it presents like an error message as if it's a problem. Why do we need to see this level of warning? Maybe just put up a small symbol on the dash without a full message, a chime, and a red exclamation mark. We can see the regen limit line so we know the battery is cold.

I don't really want to see this "battery heating" message as it presents like an error message as if it's a problem.

Agree. Any why is it inconsistent? I never saw it once last year and I have only seen it pop up one time after I switched Range Mode off this year. I have driven in similar and even colder conditions (with the battery completely cold soaked and max re-gen limitation), yet no "heating" message.