Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in getting Autosteer/AutoPark and Rain Sensing Wipers - We are owed a Refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if they had poor releases in the past with AP1, Then you find it acceptable that they dont learn from their mistakes instead of following the same mistakes? This is not good service... This is poor service. What they have released is a joke and is dangerous.

Didn't say that at all. I said in another post, I believe in this thread, that someone needs to sit Elon down and explain this to him... It's not a good thing to sell cars with features that aren't fully software ready yet...

Jeff

Reactions: davidc18 and ABC2D
I'm honestly surprised that Tesla sells features that are not yet available. Why sell EAP when it's not ready? They are already setup to enable and pay for the feature post-sale. Why wouldn't they just say the EAP/FSD hardware is there in every car, and the buyers can pay for it and enable when it becomes available. The only "complexity" would be to drop the post-purchase enablement premium for people who bought AP2 cars before the feature became available (which should be trivial).
Leasing customers.

• Love
Reactions: Max* and davidc18
There might be some kind of accounting reason why Tesla sells 'future features' that aren't yet available - possibly to do with SOP 97-2... the old revenue recognition problem: Tesla probably can't top-line the cash they make from a new car sale, because they plan on upgrading it with new features later.

It's complex - and I'm no expert - but I think in order to comply with GAAP, companies are fined if they recognise full revenue for products which they plan on updating free of charge in the future (because the product is deemed not yet fully delivered on day 1 of purchase). This accounting rule applies to things like iPhones and Macs too, because Apple say they'll update these things in the future with new features, free of charge. Tesla cars get new features after you buy them, so presumably Tesla has to defer a lot of that revenue to account for cars they've sold, but will update.

It's a complex mess, but it's usually a contributing factor to why these bigger companies communicate "officially" a lot less with their customers, have to plan their update schedules around accounting cycles, never really commit to dates for future features and so on.

Perhaps this is why we only ever hear 'coming soon' information from Elon's twitter, and not directly from official Tesla channels.

Meh. Who knows... Speculation. Something to ponder on a Wednesday!

Take my blinders off? LOL... Again that's all I can do is just laugh back in return... Clearly you aren't that familiar with Tesla, or it's history, to understand why your post is comical to someone like me who has been around since before the Model S was even delivered...

Jeff
I'm not sure how this is helpful to new customers who don't follow Tesla and couldn't care less about its history. Customers have certain expectations that Tesla is not meeting and there have been plenty of complaints to verify this view. We need to be hard on Tesla for disappointing, not hard on customers for pointing out the disappointments.

Ya I think selling non-functional feature is totally ridiculous. They better not do it with Model 3. If AP2 is not ready, they cannot force people to pay 5k for the function when purchasing the car. If AP2 is not ready when M3 comes out, they should sell the cars as they are and then allow for enabling without extra charge at a later date.

Ya I think selling non-functional feature is totally ridiculous. They better not do it with Model 3. If AP2 is not ready, they cannot force people to pay 5k for the function when purchasing the car. If AP2 is not ready when M3 comes out, they should sell the cars as they are and then allow for enabling without extra charge at a later date.

With apologies to the innocent (victims) ... what's ridiculous to me is BUYING non-functional features. Nothing but sympathies, I think Tesla's sales tactics are unethical, but the better informed buyers are the less of this crap will occur. I wish TMC, and especially the industry and mainstream media, represented a more balanced picture of the customer experience before I purchased and waited a year for AP1. Musk has been masterful in managing the "underdog on a mission myth" - which has provided incalculable value to the enterprise (to date). I happen to believe it is not sustainable/scalable however.

Nobody forces you to pay $5k, it's optional.

Reactions: bhzmark
With apologies to the innocent (victims) ... what's ridiculous to me is BUYING non-functional features. Nothing but sympathies, I think Tesla's sales tactics are unethical, but the better informed buyers are the less of this crap will occur. I wish TMC, and especially the industry and mainstream media, represented a more balanced picture of the customer experience before I purchased and waited a year for AP1. Musk has been masterful in managing the "underdog on a mission myth" - which has provided incalculable value to the enterprise (to date). I happen to believe it is not sustainable/scalable however.
I don't think those sales tactics are universal at Tesla. My sales person was very helpful and upfront. It was kinda shocking how UNSALES like he was. I was asking about Air Suspension, and Stereo upgrade and he was like "meh" some people love them some don't. I had to go on this forum just to figure out what upgrades were worth it.

+1. My OA told me the air suspension wasn't worth it unless I needed it to clear things. I had concerns about my driveway (last car bottomed out sometimes pulling into it) so he said "let's drive to your house and test it out"....and we did (determining the coils cleared with no issue). Same with my debate over UHFS and the sunroof. He told me that some people say they can hear the difference, many say they can't. Only real driver is if you want XM (in which case you have to buy UHFS as well as the sunroof). Ultimately I went without UHFS, sunroof or air suspension and saved money that went into other options I purchased as well as some post-purchase upgrades.

I found my OA to be a trusted advisor (much like a lawyer or financial advisor) who was focused on helping me determine what was best for me vice getting me to purchase things I didn't need (or even a car model I didn't need). Can't say enough good things about him. If anyone is looking to buy a car in the Northern VA area, drop me a message and I'll give you his name and contact info....he is a real superstar (and I've told Tesla that).

Didn't say that at all. I said in another post, I believe in this thread, that someone needs to sit Elon down and explain this to him... It's not a good thing to sell cars with features that aren't fully software ready yet...
As a stockholder, I was pretty worried when HW2 was announced for immediate sale and future delivery. It feels inevitable that Tesla gets sued over this. The FSD option, at least, states its rollout is "subject to regulatory approval", but it seems there's a good chance they're liable if they're actively selling an option that the government doesn't eventually approve or has greatly delayed approval.

Didn't say that at all. I said in another post, I believe in this thread, that someone needs to sit Elon down and explain this to him... It's not a good thing to sell cars with features that aren't fully software ready yet...Jeff

Jeff's support: his opinion. Elon's support: his sales success. The history of Tesla goes approximately like this: "Elon, don't do that! If you do that, THIS will happen. Trust me Elon - I know! I know better than you do! Why isn't this obvious to you?" Following quarter: Sales up bigly. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm not sure how this is helpful to new customers who don't follow Tesla and couldn't care less about its history. Customers have certain expectations that Tesla is not meeting and there have been plenty of complaints to verify this view. We need to be hard on Tesla for disappointing, not hard on customers for pointing out the disappointments.

This argument is old and has been in use to justify complaints from A to Z for years. Yet Tesla's sales keep rising.

Wait, you're saying they should give AP away for free? Obviously, that sounds great from the buyer's perspective, but somehow I don't think Tesla(or any other manufacturer for that matter) is going to go for that.

As a stockholder, I was pretty worried when HW2 was announced for immediate sale and future delivery. It feels inevitable that Tesla gets sued over this. The FSD option, at least, states its rollout is "subject to regulatory approval", but it seems there's a good chance they're liable if they're actively selling an option that the government doesn't eventually approve or has greatly delayed approval.
You need to have some kind of FSD in order to apply for the regulatory approval. I don't think, that that disclaimer will work, if you don't have a FSD, which would have even remote possibility to get an approval.

They do. It costs $6,000.

Or, you can prepay, with a $1,000 discount, and use (or not) the partial EAP as it is rolled out while waiting for the full EAP.

I do know "they do" and I do know the "$1000 discount" (which I mentioned in my post). The appropriateness of that strategy (or the lack thereof) for features that are not available at time of sale was the point of my post.