Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in getting Autosteer/AutoPark and Rain Sensing Wipers - We are owed a Refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should not charge post purchase premium for EAP or AP activation when features aren't perfected yet. Why penalize clients for wanting to wait and see if/when the kinks are fixed before committing to the options? Early adapters may still opt to enable EAP at their discretion but others shouldn't be charge more for waiting.
They are not penalizing anyone. They are providing a discount to early adopters.

They are not penalizing anyone. They are providing a discount to early adopters.

Are you suggesting that EAP will go up in price from $6,000 once EAP ships? Because if you buy a car today and enable EAP later, it's $1,000 more than if you enable it at purchase even though it's not out at all yet. However, if someone buys a car in the future when EAP is working, they only need to pay the $5,000.

Are you suggesting that EAP will go up in price from $6,000 once EAP ships? Because if you buy a car today and enable EAP later, it's $1,000 more than if you enable it at purchase even though it's not out at all yet. However, if someone buys a car in the future when EAP is working, they only need to pay the $5,000.

It might. Who knows at this point. If FSD is so great that it's a game changer, I don't see why they wouldn't raise the price.

For a while, people were paying $3-4k for traffic aware cruise control on BMWs.

But clients would be better serve if Tesla either have a free trial period and only charge those who decide to keep it after the prescribed period or wait until it is fully functional before offering it.

Tesla did offer a free month of AP1 to people in the past, and I suspect they will do it again in the future. (But probably not on AP2 cars until the development is further along.)

I didn't read the entire thread. I'll take money back if it comes to that but overall I'm not too worried about that, really $5000-$8000 on a potential 140k car? You really shouldn't have bough the car if you couldn't afford it? If you got FSD on a lease, well... i cant help you there.

You do realize that even without AP, this car you drive is AMAZING right and there is NOTHING comparable.

In addition to how it drives, Its also the SAFEST car on the road. People survived driving off mountains and running into semi. Try that in a Porsche or other similarly priced car.

You NEVER pay anything for gas. Not having to stop at a gas station alone is worth it to me. That disgusting toxic smell, the ridiculous price fixing/gouging and constantly having to compare one price with another to save a PENNY per gallon.

Not only that, have you purchased a ICE at the dealer? Sleazy sales people with far less knowledge about the car than you, going back and forth to his "manager" to see what price they can gouge you at? Spending hours and hours of your life working with these crappy people to get a car that never lives up to expectations and only gets WORSE as you drive it.

Oh yes, when you drive a Tesla, you are a mini celebrity. The combination of AWE and Confusion is so funny to see. In no other car have i had people yelled from across the parking lot asking me about the car. No one ever yells, "Hey is that a TOYOTA?"

AP2 as it stands is functional on highways, I've take two long distance trips and its been awesome. If they get it even smoother or working on local roads, im ok with that. I'm in IT, programming is not easy. Programming for real world variables where errors can get people killed, that is mind boggling to me.

Auto high beams and auto rain sensor, seriously that's the complaint? Having to flip a stalk to turn on high beams and twisting it for wipers is NOT taxing either mentally or physically.

We have come so far in such a short amount of time in this car, that people are failing to realize the magic that is happening every time you step into this car. It has change the future of the auto industry and transportation. There is a technological revival of the auto industry, driven by the technology available in this car today. Please don't take it for granted, this car is the Apple IPhone of 2007. I'm strapped in front and center waiting for all the new innovations that will come because of what this car has started.
I never get this type of arguments. Money is money. $8,000 is $8,000 no matter whether you got ripped off buying a Tesla or a latte. If on your way home from buying a $100K car Starbucks charges you $5,000 instead of $5 for a coffee, do you just say "I can afford a $100K car, I don't care about $5K"? If not, how is it different than if the car dealer overcharged you by $5K?

Elon's naysayers have always been proven wrong so i'm gonna take his side on this one.
AP1 naysays are still waiting to be proven wrong. So are the naysayers who said P85D doesn't have 691hp. Oups, it seems you have been proven wrong - not all naysayers have been proven wrong and some even have been proven right (Tesla admitted P85D cannot even produce 500hp).:p

Last edited:
I never get this type of arguments. Money is money. $8,000 is $8,000 no matter whether you got ripped off buying a Tesla or a latte. If on your way home from buying a $100K car Starbucks charges you $5,000 instead of $5 for a coffee, do you just say "I can afford a $100K car, I don't care about $5K"? If not, how is it different than if the car dealer overcharged you by $5K?
It's because $5K, while still being a lot of money, feels like less to someone who can afford a $100K car.
For some people $5K is a life-changing amount of money. For a Tesla owner it's 21" wheels.

AP1 naysays are still waiting to be proven wrong. So are the naysayers who said P85D doesn't have 691hp. Oups, it seems you have been proven wrong - not all naysayers have been proven wrong and some even have been proven right (Tesla admitted P85D cannot even produce 500hp).:p

Not having FSD will ruin Tesla, a P85D not having 691hp would not. big difference there. I was talking about his grand vision and overall plan, not minute details. But sure, i guess he is a human being and is purposely lying.

It's because $5K, while still being a lot of money, feels like less to someone who can afford a $100K car.
For some people $5K is a life-changing amount of money. For a Tesla owner it's 21" wheels.
I think you missed my point. I get that $5K may feel like not a lot of money, what I don't get is why it feels like not a lot of money when buying the car, yet it feels like a lot of money to the very same person, 5 minutes after they bought the car when they went to starbucks and the latte costed them $5,000.

I didn't read the entire thread. I'll take money back if it comes to that but overall I'm not too worried about that, really $5000-$8000 on a potential 140k car? You really shouldn't have bough the car if you couldn't afford it? If you got FSD on a lease, well... i cant help you there.

You do realize that even without AP, this car you drive is AMAZING right and there is NOTHING comparable.

In addition to how it drives, Its also the SAFEST car on the road. People survived driving off mountains and running into semi. Try that in a Porsche or other similarly priced car.

You NEVER pay anything for gas. Not having to stop at a gas station alone is worth it to me. That disgusting toxic smell, the ridiculous price fixing/gouging and constantly having to compare one price with another to save a PENNY per gallon.

Not only that, have you purchased a ICE at the dealer? Sleazy sales people with far less knowledge about the car than you, going back and forth to his "manager" to see what price they can gouge you at? Spending hours and hours of your life working with these crappy people to get a car that never lives up to expectations and only gets WORSE as you drive it.

Oh yes, when you drive a Tesla, you are a mini celebrity. The combination of AWE and Confusion is so funny to see. In no other car have i had people yelled from across the parking lot asking me about the car. No one ever yells, "Hey is that a TOYOTA?"

AP2 as it stands is functional on highways, I've take two long distance trips and its been awesome. If they get it even smoother or working on local roads, im ok with that. I'm in IT, programming is not easy. Programming for real world variables where errors can get people killed, that is mind boggling to me.

Auto high beams and auto rain sensor, seriously that's the complaint? Having to flip a stalk to turn on high beams and twisting it for wipers is NOT taxing either mentally or physically.

We have come so far in such a short amount of time in this car, that people are failing to realize the magic that is happening every time you step into this car. It has change the future of the auto industry and transportation. There is a technological revival of the auto industry, driven by the technology available in this car today. Please don't take it for granted, this car is the Apple IPhone of 2007. I'm strapped in front and center waiting for all the new innovations that will come because of what this car has started.

Since $8000 means nothing to you, can you send some to me? Also P100D has poor crash ratings just FYI. Not sure where you get your information, but if you drive off a mountain you are D-E-A-D.

Reactions: NerdUno
Not having FSD will ruin Tesla, a P85D not having 691hp would not. big difference there. I was talking about his grand vision and overall plan, not minute details. But sure, i guess he is a human being and is purposely lying.
I see, naysayers have always been proven wrong on the vision but not details. Well, the vision is getting to FSD, doing it with AP2 is a minute detail. Tesla will not be ruined if they reach FSD with AP3 or even AP4. Similar to 691hp, they eventually did reach it, just 3 generations of hardware later (P85D->P90DL->P90DLv2->P100D). Just like with P85D, and AP1, AP2 will just be forgotten.

Reactions: yak-55
This thread sounds like I should keep both the 2012 with rain sensing and the 2017 with AP2. The tires may slip a bit with 2012 RWD, but at least the windshield won't get too much wiper wear. Maybe i'd be safer to drive the 2017 AWD with Autopilot and push the single wipe button when needed. Better yet, as some have mentioned, why not apply some Rain-X® to both windshields and enjoy the clearest visibility on an rainy day. Maybe Rain-X on all the camera locations would provide improved Autopilot functionality in rainy weather. Just don't expect the treated glass to help the software in recognizing rain drops for rain sensing wipers. How about speech commands to set wiper cycles? "Wipe - fast, slow, one, two, five, ten, twenty, thirty, off." You get the idea.

Last edited:
what I don't get is why it feels like not a lot of money when buying the car, yet it feels like a lot of money to the very same person, 5 minutes after they bought the car when they went to starbucks and the latte costed them $5,000.
I don't actually think you believe your own argument. There is a tangible difference between the two, namely value. An analogy for you. Betting $5,000 on one hand of blackjack is very different then say spending $5,000 to remodel part of your home. Clearly, you must see the distinction between a $5k option on a car and 5k spent on a cup of coffee.

I don't actually think you believe your own argument. There is a tangible difference between the two, namely value. An analogy for you. Betting $5,000 on one hand of blackjack is very different then say spending $5,000 to remodel part of your home. Clearly, you must see the distinction between a $5k option on a car and 5k spent on a cup of coffee.
$3K spent on a feature that does absolutely nothing (FSD) gives you less value than a $3,000 latte which you can taste and drink right there. Of course, maybe you just put a whole lot of value on hope, but in that case, I say you should just play the lottery instead of buying FSD, or maybe just buy Tesla stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: yak-55
$3K spent on a feature that does absolutely nothing (FSD) gives you less value than a $3,000 latte which you can taste and drink right there. Of course, maybe you just put a whole lot of value on hope, but in that case, I say you should just play the lottery.
You're conflating separate issues. You only have a point if FSD NEVER comes to fruition. FSD was promised for 2018 - so you've essentially put a down payment on a feature for a later date. The argument you are trying to make is that someone spent 5k for literally nothing. That is not what anyone is talking about here.

You're conflating separate issues. You only have a point if FSD NEVER comes to fruition. FSD was promised for 2018 - so you've essentially put a down payment on a feature for a later date. The argument you are trying to make is that someone spent 5k for literally nothing. That is not what anyone is talking about here.
Ok, let's wait till 2018, at which point I'm sure you will give me an argument how it's ok, FSD is complicated and takes time, so it's justified why it's not ready in 2018. I paid for AP1 which was promised to have summon to meet me anywhere on private property, are you one on those who still think it's coming to AP1 cars?