Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in model X launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds like setting ourselves up for disappointment. Here's my calculation:

• Optimistically Tesla might reach 13,500 deliveries in Q3, you have to look at what they produced in Q2 vs what they delivered. They started the quarter with well over 1,000 cars en route but not delivered yet.
  • <Snip> ...

Here's the thing that (I suspect) a LOT of people keep missing. The number of care en route will continue to rise every quarter as long as Tesla is growing. If there are 1000 en route now there will be MORE en route after Q3. not less.

[/LIST]

Here's the thing that (I suspect) a LOT of people keep missing. The number of care en route will continue to rise every quarter as long as Tesla is growing. If there are 1000 en route now there will be MORE en route after Q3. not less.

Quite possibly. Since Tesla switched a few months back from trucks to (slower) trains for shipping cars, it would be logical for the quantity in transit to increase and then (likely) plateau. In a year where more folks tend to be leaning bearish on the delivery guidance, I'm wondering whether Tesla might switch back to trucks for at least some deliveries towards the end of the year. It would also be understandable (at least from a financial perspective) if Tesla prepares to prioritize west coast deliveries of Model X towards year-end.

Quite possibly. Since Tesla switched a few months back from trucks to (slower) trains for shipping cars, it would be logical for the quantity in transit to increase and then (likely) plateau. In a year where more folks tend to be leaning bearish on the delivery guidance, I'm wondering whether Tesla might switch back to trucks for at least some deliveries towards the end of the year. It would also be understandable (at least from a financial perspective) if Tesla prepares to prioritize west coast deliveries of Model X towards year-end.

I am not sure if trains are really slower than trucks. Perhaps this is true on short distances but since the cars are shipped in containers and a train can hold quite a few of these, it should actually improve the shipping time (and cost). I am guessing this is why Tesla switched to trains. Much higher volumes over longer distances.

I am not sure if trains are really slower than trucks. Perhaps this is true on short distances but since the cars are shipped in containers and a train can hold quite a few of these, it should actually improve the shipping time (and cost). I am guessing this is why Tesla switched to trains. Much higher volumes over longer distances.

Definitely slower. read some of the comments in the MS ordering section; whole thread here Bummer-Three-weeks-on-train. I agree with you it's undoubtedly cheaper though.

With how Tesla sells its cars (no dealerships and fully custom) they will always be tipping from using semis or trains as cost/time. You simply cant have 5 cars on a train that are going to Ohio and expect it to come sooner because of the routing it has to go from the time it would take a truck.

trains = volume and cost
trucks = time (in most cases)

*Of course this is only for the USA and not Europe that has a better train system because of the countries have rail yards compared to main hubs here so please dont start that argument.

On I-5 S on Friday passed a car carrier truck fully loaded with Model Ss.

Peter+

Guys - back up and look at the bigger picture. Trains vs trucks is not important to the overall concept. If sales are ~12,000 per quarter and we currently have 1,000 in transit then you can bet with ~24,000 per quarter (whenever that is), there will be ~2000 cars in transit.

Timing (i.e. days inventory) will be different for every business, but it's no different than how many Apple iPhones are in transit when they are sold via the Apple website (i.e. no retail involvement) or how many books are in transit from Amazon. Those businesses may not recognize revenue at delivery (I have no idea if they do or don't), but Tesla does, so when more cars are sold over a given period, more cars will be in transit. We should hope to hell that it does not decline anytime soon. Growing business = growing # of cars in transit at any point in time (and the balance sheet is a snapshot in time)

Considering I've actively taken part in exactly two or three threads on TMC over the past week or so, and only this one included a debate, I would say some of the reactions are wee bit over.

I mean... I am stopping "rest of us can get something positive from this forum" with this one thread? Quite the power. ;) Seems more of an emotional response than rational.

But each to their own.

I'd agree. I've been on many forums and have seen my share of trolls. I wouldn't categorize you as one.

I guess founders cars is prodused in the beginning of September, they get them ready in good time before Custmers delivery, to be sure everything is allright.
When the first X is delivered in end of Septemper, Sig cars is produced and the ramp up has started.
The reason I think this, is because Elon have mentioned several times the importans of the ramp up starte before or after the transition to Q4.
I belive they try to get it done before Q4 starts, a wait period to test founders cars should be planer in good time before this.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

I just read that Model X will be revealed on the Frankfurt (Germany) car show (IAA 2015 from September 17 to 27)

This is in Dutch Tesla Model X zal in Frankfurt onthuld worden!

Here is the Translation Google Translate

Also, it is in... Germany.

The only way I'd expect that to make sense is if they launch first in the U.S., say a week earlier, and then subsequently would have a European showing at the fair. Mess with the Germans a little, too.

Seems theoretical, but not impossible.