Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in model X launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar to how exclusive fashion designers (e.g. vera wang) start exclusively for the uber rich, then release a Macy's line for the masses. Because of their brand at the top end of the market they drive volume at the lower end for those who want to be associated
^This. The Model 3 could look like an AMC Pacer and it will sell in quantity. As long as it has a Tesla logo on it, and it's less than $40K before tax credit (and it arrives before 2019), I think it will be a huge hit.

Of course, they will need 5X the number of Super Chargers that they have now, but in that respect, Tesla is already so far ahead of any of the other auto-maker that it's not funny. Also, I would imagine that by 2018/19, the public (for-a-fee) charging infrastructure will be much more widespread than it is now.

You will find no greater sympathizer on this topic than me. My only hope is that we are dead wrong, the falcon wing doors really do make everyone want one, and they aid in drawing attention to the brand leading up to the release of the Model 3. In other words, looking at the long game, I hope they turn out to be the right choice.

On a daily basis with kiddos getting into and out of the car, in supermarket parking lots, among other places, motorized sliding doors as on a minivan are crucial. I think FWD would be a great alternative, and hope TM keeps up innovating the automobile...

I'm reserving judgement (especially since there seems to be software issues now and improvements in the pipeline), but right now I'd say the falcon doors are too slow when you're running to the car in the cold or rain and want to get in quickly. Also the auto opening (and closing) front doors feel WAY too gimmicky. Just give me handles. Just. Give. Me. Handles.

If there was a scaled up Model S (perhaps something similar to what Subaru has done with the Impreza, jacking it up to create the CrossTrek), then my mind would be made up instantly. It would have nearly all of the benefits of the S and some of the benefits of the X as well.

That would be perfect. Higher seating and as nimble as a sedan.

Reading this is funny. I picked up Sig 27 yesterday, and all I keep thinking is "all they had to do was make the Model S taller and we would've been good".

I'm reserving judgement (especially since there seems to be software issues now and improvements in the pipeline), but right now I'd say the falcon doors are too slow when you're running to the car in the cold or rain and want to get in quickly. Also the auto opening (and closing) front doors feel WAY too gimmicky. Just give me handles. Just. Give. Me. Handles.

Reading this is funny. I picked up Sig 27 yesterday, and all I keep thinking is "all they had to do was make the Model S taller and we would've been good".

I have been advocating that on the TM forum. Rough crowd over there to suggest anything that gives constructive criticism to TM/EM decisions. Yeah, the X would have been out 12-18 months earlier and saved a good amount on engineering/tooling costs by giving the front door handles (Yep WK057) and a more traditional door for the second row....Oh, and folding seats...

Last edited:

I was thinking about that the other day when I was watching the falcon wing doors open and close, I thought they were awesome but a bit slow. If you could open the doors from the app while your running to your car in the rain then I don't think it's as much of an issue but then again I don't own the X so my perception is from the outside looking in. The front doors, I'm neutral as to the touch versus the handles debate. I found them to open quite reasonably just pushing on the handle and the auto-open will eventually be out so theres that...

If Tesla can speed up the falcon wing doors then that's great but I'm not sure for me as a potential buyer, I'm all that concerned about how quickly they open or close. It's a fair criticism though, no doubt.

Jeff

The falcon doors open a whole lot faster than most people think. People have commented on this, and I've also seen them in action. Worrying about getting rained on while waiting for the doors to open is silly. If you're that concerned about getting wet, then use an umbrella like the rest of us, who have put the key in the lock and open the door manually. Works like a charm.

The falcon doors open a whole lot faster than most people think. People have commented on this, and I've also seen them in action. Worrying about getting rained on while waiting for the doors to open is silly. If you're that concerned about getting wet, then use an umbrella like the rest of us, who have put the key in the lock and open the door manually. Works like a charm.

I fairly often ride in the back seat of a friend's sprinter van. I've played with several People's X's now and I can confidently say the Falcon doors (with minimal/normal obstructions) open and close faster than I can open and close the sliding back door of the sprinter.

Peter+

I'm reserving judgement (especially since there seems to be software issues now and improvements in the pipeline), but right now I'd say the falcon doors are too slow when you're running to the car in the cold or rain and want to get in quickly. Also the auto opening (and closing) front doors feel WAY too gimmicky.

I have left a few comments with timings on the doors. Any time I see a video, and they stand out as being overly quick or slow, I'll time them. I've seen doors take as long as 27 seconds to open (with some mild obstruction) and ones open as quickly as 5 seconds. I do think they can fix that with software - my suspicion is that the obstacle algorithm is overly cautious for now, and likely for good reason. But I agree that if it cannot be sped up, a nearly 30 second opening time would be annoying if it happened every time I was in the garage, for instance.

Do not really care about how fast the FWD will be probably will not use them especially if the break. Will use lots of sun screen when I drive to avoid getting melanoma from the windshield, have to keep my truck to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Will always wear my rain gear so as not to get soaked from the rain pouring in the FWD. Did I forget something?

Do not really care about how fast the FWD will be probably will not use them especially if the break. Will use lots of sun screen when I drive to avoid getting melanoma from the windshield, have to keep my truck to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Will always wear my rain gear so as not to get soaked from the rain pouring in the FWD. Did I forget something?
You forgot to cut all your 2x4x8 lumber to 5 feet before loading them into the back.

I have left a few comments with timings on the doors. Any time I see a video, and they stand out as being overly quick or slow, I'll time them. I've seen doors take as long as 27 seconds to open (with some mild obstruction) and ones open as quickly as 5 seconds. I do think they can fix that with software - my suspicion is that the obstacle algorithm is overly cautious for now, and likely for good reason. But I agree that if it cannot be sped up, a nearly 30 second opening time would be annoying if it happened every time I was in the garage, for instance.

My 6 days worth of experience:

I find the falcon wing doors extraordinarily useful. I thought they'd be a gimmick, but I was wrong. They are very useful for me - I have two daughters: a 10 month old and a 4 year old. Previously, I could not get the kids out of my Model S if both cars were parked in our two car garage. I would take the kids out of my Model S prior to entering the garage. Now, I can enter the garage and take the kids out of the car (very useful in the winter and when it rains). I also find getting the kids in and out of the car (anywhere) to be a breeze - the amount of space for entering and exiting the Model X is awesome. The weather in Michigan the last six days has been well below freezing (anywhere from 10 degrees to 30 degrees), snow flurries, and high winds. The doors do not close or open slower than any traditional doors. And as noted by others, you can open or close the doors in advance with the key fob.

Overall, the Model X has exceeded my expectations (I have not experienced any notable "fit and finish" issues), but I do believe the delays caused by the FWDs and their necessity (coupled with the "artisan" 2nd row seats) are worthy of discussion (and criticism) for Tesla's long-term goal(s). Now that the Model X is here (for a few hundred owners at least), and the FWD are part of the design, I would purchase the Model X again. Minimally, the 2016 and 2017 sales numbers will ultimately answer these larger questions.

It would be interesting to know the breakdown of features-to-time causing the delay: FWD, artisan seats, etc.

I find the falcon wing doors extraordinarily useful. I thought they'd be a gimmick, but I was wrong. They are very useful for me - I have two daughters: a 10 month old and a 4 year old. Previously, I could not get the kids out of my Model S if both cars were parked in our two car garage. I would take the kids out of my Model S prior to entering the garage. Now, I can enter the garage and take the kids out of the car (very useful in the winter and when it rains). I also find getting the kids in and out of the car (anywhere) to be a breeze - the amount of space for entering and exiting the Model X is awesome. The weather in Michigan the last six days has been well below freezing (anywhere from 10 degrees to 30 degrees), snow flurries, and high winds. The doors do not close or open slower than any traditional doors. And as noted by others, you can open or close the doors in advance with the key fob.

Overall, the Model X has exceeded my expectations (I have not experienced any notable "fit and finish" issues), but I do believe the delays caused by the FWDs and their necessity (coupled with the "artisan" 2nd row seats) are worthy of discussion (and criticism) for Tesla's long-term goal(s). Now that the Model X is here (for a few hundred owners at least), and the FWD are part of the design, I would purchase the Model X again. Minimally, the 2016 and 2017 sales numbers will ultimately answer these larger questions.

It would be interesting to know the breakdown of features-to-time causing the delay: FWD, artisan seats, etc.
Thanks for the actual in the field information, it is very helpful.

Do not really care about how fast the FWD will be probably will not use them especially if the break. Will use lots of sun screen when I drive to avoid getting melanoma from the windshield

No need to wear sun screen on account of that pano windshield.

All windshields are made from laminated safety glass, including the panaromic windshield on the Model X. Laminated glass blocks over 99% of all UV light thanks to a plastic layer sandwiched between the glass layers. That's the equivalent of at least SPF 100 sun screen that never wears out.

Now, on the other hand the side windows on cars are just tempered glass, which only blocks about 65% of UV light, or SPF 15.

If you have skin cancer concerns I recommend having a window film applied to the side windows. Even a light tint will block most UV because it's the plastic layer that blocks UV, not the tint. The windshield is fine. It already has that built in.

All windshields are made from laminated safety glass, including the panaromic windshield on the Model X. Laminated glass blocks over 99% of all UV light thanks to a plastic layer sandwiched between the glass layers. That's the equivalent of at least SPF 100 sun screen that never wears out.

Now, on the other hand the side windows on cars are just tempered glass, which only blocks about 65% of UV light, or SPF 15.

If you have skin cancer concerns I recommend having a window film applied to the side windows. Even a light tint will block most UV because it's the plastic layer that blocks UV, not the tint. The windshield is fine. It already has that built in.
Thanks for the info, I was just being humorous.

Excellent insite!! I can't wait to get my X to see how easy it is to get my 4yr old, 2year old and new born on the way out of the back!! Right now, getting them out of the S is hard! Car roof gets in the way right at my face level, best place to stand while getting them in or out is the exact spot the door occupies!!

I rewatched how it's made and it talked about the pano room being 100% UV protected.

Good info. As I plan on doing various roadtrips with my wife, I will likely get the side windows tinted.

It is not really a humorous topic for those with family history of skin cancer issues or those with lupus and have high sensitivity to these things!