Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in receiving 2019.8.5? Wait, or can I do something about it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 SR+ for 10 days, so I don't have a lot of experience with OTA updates. I had one update on the day I bought the car I came home, and have been hoping and waiting for the new autopilot upgrade but it still hasn't shown up.

According to the app "Stats" 60.3% of all Tesla vehicles have received it, and 6.9% are running 2019.8.4. - which is what I'm running.

I just keep wondering if there's something wrong, or do I need to contact Tesla to ask them to push it?

I've tried a soft reboot, to no effect.

My car is parked in a home garage, but with decent (3 bars) wi-fi access. Thanks!

Some thoughts;

1- There’s little you can do. Some postings have suggested a strong WiFi signal helps, some have suggested driving to a Service Center and connecting to their WiFI, some have suggested calling the Service Center. Beyond anecdotal evidence for some posters, I don’t see anything proving any of those work consistently to upgrade firmware.

2- Although much of the fleet is on 8.5, including me, many of us are having significant and new issues with TACC, a black screen in reverse, and instability in maintaining the center of a lane with AutoSteer. I came from 5.15 before 8.5 with exactly none of those issues. I can’t speak to 8.4, your release.

I would suggest be happy with the release you have and hope that an upgrade gets you to a point beyond, maybe well beyond, 8.5. I have seen some vehicles on TeslaFi upgraded from 8.5 to 8.6 the same day (not me). 9’s and 12’s have been rolling out but so has 8.4. Be patient...and you may not like what you get.

Some thoughts;

1- There’s little you can do. Some postings have suggested a strong WiFi signal helps, some have suggested driving to a Service Center and connecting to their WiFI, some have suggested calling the Service Center. Beyond anecdotal evidence for some posters, I don’t see anything proving any of those work consistently to upgrade firmware.

2- Although much of the fleet is on 8.5, including me, many of us are having significant and new issues with TACC, a black screen in reverse, and instability in maintaining the center of a lane with AutoSteer. I came from 5.15 before 8.5 with exactly none of those issues. I can’t speak to 8.4, your release.

I would suggest be happy with the release you have and hope that an upgrade gets you to a point beyond, maybe well beyond, 8.5. I have seen some vehicles on TeslaFi upgraded from 8.5 to 8.6 the same day (not me). 9’s and 12’s have been rolling out but so has 8.4. Be patient...and you may not like what you get.

Thanks, appreciate the detailed post. I haven’t run into any screen or operational issues with 8.4 so I should be happy with its stability as you say!

8.4 and 8.5 are basically the same with just some minor adjustments no new features so you aren't missing anything being on 8.4. I had 8.4 now on 8.5 nothing new to see and I haven't had any of the issues mentioned by SalisburySam above. You won't get every single update they put out as sometimes they tweak things before getting an update out to the entire fleet and then release the next one with those fixes/tweaks in place.

There IS something you can do.

In your Tesla App, request service. Pick "Firmware" as the issue, and in comments state you want to schedule service to update your firmware. Then select the first available service date.
Someone from your local services center will call you in a couple of days and push the update to your car without you having to take it in.
I did exactly this and it worked perfectly.

In your Tesla App, request service. Pick "Firmware" as the issue, and in comments state you want to schedule service to update your firmware. Then select the first available service date.
Someone from your local services center will call you in a couple of days and push the update to your car without you having to take it in.

Thanks - never thought of that ! I have an appointment with the SC in 4 days, because I lost Autosteer during TACC and NAO. I'll see if they update me to anything after 2019.8.3

There IS something you can do.

I had NO idea...that's pure gold. Thank you.

What are the differences between 8.3, 8.4, 8.5 and 8.6 ? I've seen posted screenshots of the release notes and they appear to be the same as from 8.3.

Hi, when I received 8.4 I remember it mentioned the 5% performance improvement.

8.5 - if I'm correct, has the improvements to Autopilot (automated lane changing) - I'm assuming it's Autopilot and not FSD. I will find out soon enough!

Thanks !! I lost the AutoSteer of TACC and NOA. Did the "3 minute" reset and still no AutoSteer. I visit the SC this Thursday to see what's going on.....
That sucks and is exactly the reason I’m nervous about an update. I have all the features I’ve paid for and don’t want to upset the Apple cart.