Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay switching to Reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, over the past few weeks/months I've noticed an annoying delay between putting my foot on the brake and being able to select Reverse. I do have PIN to drive enabled so I type my PIN in first, but it seems like it always takes two tries on the stalk to get into reverse.

Is anyone else noticing this??

Happens to me too, if I select R too fast. If so, I try again it goes to R without issue. Or, it seems if I wait until the column of check lights go out and then go to R it does without issue. Gives it about a 1/2 second delay before trying R?

Hello, over the past few weeks/months I've noticed an annoying delay between putting my foot on the brake and being able to select Reverse. I do have PIN to drive enabled so I type my PIN in first, but it seems like it always takes two tries on the stalk to get into reverse.

Happens all the time for me too. For me, its because I'm too quick on the shifter after I press the brake pedal. I just train myself to pause for a moment. Basically, there is a delay from pressing the brake pedal to the car waking up enough to accept the shifter change .. seems to be about ½ second. My guess is this is deliberate so the car knows you are holding the brake pedal (rather than just hit it with your foot which then slipped off) .. possibly even federally mandated when they required pressing brake pedal before shifting for safety.

The colder it gets the slower my X switches gear.
I don't recall if I had it on my Model 3 now or not.