Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delayed delivery experience (due to being unavailable during delivery window)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Denver
I wanted to share my experience with delaying my delivery after receiving a VIN since I've seen lots of conflicting details about possible outcomes. Hopefully, this will help people who find themselves in the same situation.

I had been worried that after nearly 100 days, my delivery window would fall during the period I am out of town and that is exactly what happened. I've read that if you're unavailable to take delivery you have a few options:
  • Sign a POA w/ trusted friend or family to pickup the vehicle for you
  • Complete payment in full and have Tesla deliver to your home while you're away
Neither of these options work for me a number of reasons so I looked into how Tesla handled requests to delay delivery. Based on everything I had read, there seemed to be 2 different ways this would be handled:
  1. If you put your car on hold, it would essentially reset your "order date" to the day you released the hold by clicking the "I'm Ready" button. This is the "moved to the back of the line" theory that keeps coming up.
  2. I also found a few examples of those who rejected cars for defects who reported being put on some sort of "priority waiting list" that allowed them to rematch to a VIN after a few weeks.
However, I hadn't seen many examples of those who had to push delivery because they were unavailable to take delivery, like in my situation. I explained my situation to my SA yesterday and he said he would pass my VIN on to another person and we would rematch when I returned. I told him I was worried about being pushed back months and he ensured me that would not happen.

Since my VIN had not been released from my account right away I got a few text and email reminders to schedule delivery. My last email stated:
If you do not select an appointment, we will unfortunately need to move this Model Y to another waiting customer.
If this Model Y is moved to another customer, please visit your Tesla Account and select “I’m Ready” to place your order back in our queue to receive a car.
When I logged onto my account I saw that the VIN had been removed from my order, my order was now on hold, and I had the blue "I'm Ready" button. I had a brief panic because I was worried this would result in scenario #1 above, i.e., clicking this would release my hold and my EDD would reset to another 90+ days of purgatory.

I emailed my SA to double-check this wouldn't happen and this was his response:
Definitely not true. That vehicle has loaded for the east coast and is on its way and you'll be assigned a new VIN. Typically it matches you fairly quickly and most owners see a new vehicle available within a couple weeks of unmatching.

It's likely you will be offered a vehicle in the next week or two but since you are out of town I'll release it and hold for early October.

Hopefully, this helps someone else in the same situation since I haven't seen a lot of examples. I'll follow-up on how long it "actually" takes once my hold is released.

I wanted to share my experience with delaying my delivery after receiving a VIN since I've seen lots of conflicting details about possible outcomes. Hopefully, this will help people who find themselves in the same situation.

I had been worried that after nearly 100 days, my delivery window would fall during the period I am out of town and that is exactly what happened. I've read that if you're unavailable to take delivery you have a few options:
  • Sign a POA w/ trusted friend or family to pickup the vehicle for you
  • Complete payment in full and have Tesla deliver to your home while you're away
Neither of these options work for me a number of reasons so I looked into how Tesla handled requests to delay delivery. Based on everything I had read, there seemed to be 2 different ways this would be handled:
  1. If you put your car on hold, it would essentially reset your "order date" to the day you released the hold by clicking the "I'm Ready" button. This is the "moved to the back of the line" theory that keeps coming up.
  2. I also found a few examples of those who rejected cars for defects who reported being put on some sort of "priority waiting list" that allowed them to rematch to a VIN after a few weeks.
However, I hadn't seen many examples of those who had to push delivery because they were unavailable to take delivery, like in my situation. I explained my situation to my SA yesterday and he said he would pass my VIN on to another person and we would rematch when I returned. I told him I was worried about being pushed back months and he ensured me that would not happen.

Since my VIN had not been released from my account right away I got a few text and email reminders to schedule delivery. My last email stated:

When I logged onto my account I saw that the VIN had been removed from my order, my order was now on hold, and I had the blue "I'm Ready" button. I had a brief panic because I was worried this would result in scenario #1 above, i.e., clicking this would release my hold and my EDD would reset to another 90+ days of purgatory.

I emailed my SA to double-check this wouldn't happen and this was his response:

Hopefully, this helps someone else in the same situation since I haven't seen a lot of examples. I'll follow-up on how long it "actually" takes once my hold is released.

Thought I'd add a somewhat similar experience that is also still in process. I got the email that a car was available but since it's much earlier than expected, and I still have another car on hand I want to delay the delivery. I've never been contacted by an SA, but did reply to the original text that Tesla sent after placing the order. In my reply text I asked if my delivery can be delayed 30-60 days. About 12 hours later they sent the following response:

"We can release this vehicle, and wait until the next vehicle becomes available. We cannot guarantee it will be within 30-60 days, but we will do our best to get your vehicle closer to a timing you are wishing for. Please reply "RELEASE" to agree to releasing until another vehicle becomes available in future."

I did the RELEASE reply and haven't heard back yet, but it seems like they are going to move me back in the queue, but not all the way to the end. Like PNWLeccy I'll try to respond to this thread when another car becomes available so people can see about how long it took.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Just to follow-up, I put my order on hold until 10/1. I logged into my account on 9/27 and noticed my order was no longer on hold even though I had confirmed it was on hold until 10/1 previously.

That was a little strange but I suspect my SA was trying to time things so that my delivery date would be as close to 10/1, as possible. As my SA had told me, I was not pushed to the end of the line but rather was given an EDD of 10/2-10/20. It has now been updated to 10/7-10/20.

I think that if anyone is thinking of putting their order on hold, they should wait until you have a VIN assigned to do it. As @SanCarlosJeff said, you can then release your assigned VIN and will be reassigned one shortly after. If you try to put an order on hold before receiving a VIN, it seems to reset your waiting period somewhat.

Just to follow-up, I put my order on hold until 10/1. I logged into my account on 9/27 and noticed my order was no longer on hold even though I had confirmed it was on hold until 10/1 previously.

That was a little strange but I suspect my SA was trying to time things so that my delivery date would be as close to 10/1, as possible. As my SA had told me, I was not pushed to the end of the line but rather was given an EDD of 10/2-10/20. It has now been updated to 10/7-10/20.

I think that if anyone is thinking of putting their order on hold, they should wait until you have a VIN assigned to do it. As @SanCarlosJeff said, you can then release your assigned VIN and will be reassigned one shortly after. If you try to put an order on hold before receiving a VIN, it seems to reset your waiting period somewhat.
Excellent information...thanks PNW...I had a M3 SR+ on order since 6/28 and today I decided to upgrade to a M3 AWD LR. I just think it makes a lot of sense after researching. I live in Washington as well, so I gave up the sales tax (has to be less than $45K to qualify), but hoping I can delay delivery until 1/1/2022 and the reconciliation bill passes to get the $10K credit. A bit of a roll of the dice, but with the knowledge you provide above, I may be able to get it. Thank you!

How did you put your order on hold? Was there a button in your account that allowed that option once a VIN was assigned, or did you have to contact your SA?

How did you put your order on hold? Was there a button in your account that allowed that option once a VIN was assigned, or did you have to contact your SA?
Would like to know as well. I should be getting a VIN any day now since Edd is oct 29th to nov 10th but if people start posting 2022 VINs and I’m assigned a 2021 VIN before I actually take delivery, I might just delay for 1-2 weeks and make up some excuse or something.

Would like to know as well. I should be getting a VIN any day now since Edd is oct 29th to nov 10th but if people start posting 2022 VINs and I’m assigned a 2021 VIN before I actually take delivery, I might just delay for 1-2 weeks and make up some excuse or something.
Did you end up getting your ride? My M3 SR+ was supposed to arrive Oct 22. EDD changed to Nov 1 - Dec 1 for a few days and it’s been on Jan 03 - 31. For “fun” I plugged my design specs into the website today and it quoted me Oct 22‘ as in 2022.

My original estimated delivery date was Feb 2022, perfect since my present lease will expire then. Then it started changing and at the beginning of October I had been matched with a VIN number, at the same time my car is in the shop for a fender bender so and it's still there. So I put a hold on the Tesla until January 1st (looking into tax credits as well). As soon as my present car is out of the shop I am planning to go back in line to get the Model 3.
My configuration was for $43440 and now the same configuration is $45990. Do you know if they will honor the original price?

@PNWLeccy are you still waiting to take delivery?

Seems I'm in the exact same situation as you (my original delivery window fell during the period I was out of town), and also in Seattle area. Wondering if you've heard anything lately. I'm getting anxious 😬

OD: 7/28 Original EDD: 11/18 - 11/20 On-Hold 11/16, Hold Released 11/23, EDD: Mar - Apr 2022, 1/1 - 1/29, 12/3-12/16, 1/2-1/30
MY LR AWD | MSM | Black Int. | 20" Induction Wheel | AP | 7 seater | no tow

@PNWLeccy are you still waiting to take delivery?

Seems I'm in the exact same situation as you (my original delivery window fell during the period I was out of town), and also in Seattle area. Wondering if you've heard anything lately. I'm getting anxious 😬

OD: 7/28 Original EDD: 11/18 - 11/20 On-Hold 11/16, Hold Released 11/23, EDD: Mar - Apr 2022, 1/1 - 1/29, 12/3-12/16, 1/2-1/30
MY LR AWD | MSM | Black Int. | 20" Induction Wheel | AP | 7 seater | no tow
I am currently still on hold until 1/1/22. I received an "auto cancellation email" on 11/2 saying "if you still intend to take delivery, please contact [email protected] by 11/16/21". I responded that I did not want to cancel my order but would like to keep my hold and they said that would be ok.

It seems like the language of these emails has changed a bit and they've gotten stricter with others since then. I've been checking my order every couple of days to see if it is still on hold since I keep reading about the threats to auto-cancel for others.

I am currently still on hold until 1/1/22. I received an "auto cancellation email" on 11/2 saying "if you still intend to take delivery, please contact [email protected] by 11/16/21". I responded that I did not want to cancel my order but would like to keep my hold and they said that would be ok.

It seems like the language of these emails has changed a bit and they've gotten stricter with others since then. I've been checking my order every couple of days to see if it is still on hold since I keep reading about the threats to auto-cancel for others.
I'm in same boat...they are forcing me to take off hold by tomorrow or my order will be canceled and deposit forfeited. I think it is highly unfair to force me to take it sooner, when they clearly told me that I could keep it on hold until 12/31. It also says on hold until 12/31 in my portal. They string me along for almost 6 months and then do this...really pisses me off.

I am going to reply to the email with your same response...that I don't want to cancel order, but would like to keep on hold. But I am not holding out much hope...my SA has been unresponsive to my texts, calls and emails...looks like they are hunkering down and hoping folks click "I'm Ready" tomorrow

I'm in same boat...they are forcing me to take off hold by tomorrow or my order will be canceled and deposit forfeited. I think it is highly unfair to force me to take it sooner, when they clearly told me that I could keep it on hold until 12/31. It also says on hold until 12/31 in my portal. They string me along for almost 6 months and then do this...really pisses me off.

I am going to reply to the email with your same response...that I don't want to cancel order, but would like to keep on hold. But I am not holding out much hope...my SA has been unresponsive to my texts, calls and emails...looks like they are hunkering down and hoping folks click "I'm Ready" tomorrow
Good luck. I think I was put on hold before they had a formal Hold policy but I'm expecting to receive another email like yours any day.

I really hope that doesn't happen to me as I'll be across the country from 12/17-12/31 and have no idea what I'll be able to negotiate at that point. This could get interesting.

Reactions: samwise-g
Got my response.... "Thank you for your message. We need you to remove the hold by the 9th if you decide to still proceed on getting the Model 3. If the hold is not removed your order will automatically cancelled."
Just got a text from my SA asking if I could take delivery this year and that "Corporate overrode things and your order is in the cancellation queue because it is so far past the order agreement timeline".

My order still shows it's on hold until 1/1/22 and I haven't received another cancellation email asking me to take delivery. I've asked my SA for clarification and he said "I am nearly positive you will receive notification as everyone has so far. I'm watching your account closely as well. The hold is still in effect because otherwise you'd be matched to a car in the next week or so, while you are gone."

I'm tempted to just wait until I receive the email but it's complicated since I'll be out of town from 12/17-12/31. With my luck, I'll get an email 12/16 (since they seem to be sending these out weekly) and prob gets matched immediately. It sucks that I'm so close but don't think I'll be able to push to 1/1.

Just got a text from my SA asking if I could take delivery this year and that "Corporate overrode things and your order is in the cancellation queue because it is so far past the order agreement timeline".

My order still shows it's on hold until 1/1/22 and I haven't received another cancellation email asking me to take delivery. I've asked my SA for clarification and he said "I am nearly positive you will receive notification as everyone has so far. I'm watching your account closely as well. The hold is still in effect because otherwise you'd be matched to a car in the next week or so, while you are gone."

I'm tempted to just wait until I receive the email but it's complicated since I'll be out of town from 12/17-12/31. With my luck, I'll get an email 12/16 (since they seem to be sending these out weekly) and prob gets matched immediately. It sucks that I'm so close but don't think I'll be able to push to 1/1.
Bummer...decisions, decisions. I really am tempted to just order another one now and just cancel this one if the delivery date is before 12/31. It would be $1000 more, but I could order midnight silver instead of white for the same price now. Worst case is that I am out $100 if I cancel existing, or $250 if they deliver after 1/1/22. Assuming it passes and they keep the retroactive date to 1/1/22, that could amount to $8000. Only downside is that I would have to wait until at least Feb 22 for delivery.

@samw
Bummer...decisions, decisions. I really am tempted to just order another one now and just cancel this one if the delivery date is before 12/31. It would be $1000 more, but I could order midnight silver instead of white for the same price now. Worst case is that I am out $100 if I cancel existing, or $250 if they deliver after 1/1/22. Assuming it passes and they keep the retroactive date to 1/1/22, that could amount to $8000. Only downside is that I would have to wait until at least Feb 22 for delivery.
I'm not sure what I'll do but it looks like your situation is a lot less complicated than mine. I didn't realize the wait for M3LR was so short!

The way I see it my options are this, in order of likelihood:
  1. Take delivery in 2021:
    1. Price discounted by $5.5k
    2. Sell 2018 M3LR for elevated resale value
    3. Immediate delivery
    4. Possible loss of $8k tax credit
  2. Delay until 2022, no EV tax credit:
    2. Sell 2018 M3LR for elevated resale value
    3. Less immediate delivery
    4. More torture
  3. Delay until 2022, EV tax credit passed:
    2. Tax credit of $8k
    3. Sell 2018 M3LR for reduced resale value due to tax credit (~$5k?)
    4. Less immediate delivery
  4. Cancel current order, order for delivery in 2022, EV tax credit passed:
    1. Lose order with $5.5k discount
    2. Tax credit of $8k
    3. Sell 2018 M3LR for (very) reduced resale value due to tax credit (~$5k-$10k?) and long delay
    4. Wait forever for delivery in November 2022
I've given up on trying to time all of the upcoming upgrades because the financial math becomes a lot more complicated. Maybe if MYLR values stay high I can trade up to a newer version but that's a whole new round of mental torture to come. Unfortunately, I think that the MYLR will finally take some resale value hit in 2022 due to a extensive list of coming upgrades, despite the long wait times:
  • Tax credit on new vehicles
  • 4680 cells
  • Front/Rear casting
  • New Ryzen CPU
  • New paint options, likely better quality
  • Rear acoustic glass
  • Li-on 12v battery
  • etc.