Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delayed delivery experience (due to being unavailable during delivery window)

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle
I wanted to share my experience with delaying my delivery after receiving a VIN since I've seen lots of conflicting details about possible outcomes. Hopefully, this will help people who find themselves in the same situation.

I had been worried that after nearly 100 days, my delivery window would fall during the period I am out of town and that is exactly what happened. I've read that if you're unavailable to take delivery you have a few options:
  • Sign a POA w/ trusted friend or family to pickup the vehicle for you
  • Complete payment in full and have Tesla deliver to your home while you're away
Neither of these options work for me a number of reasons so I looked into how Tesla handled requests to delay delivery. Based on everything I had read, there seemed to be 2 different ways this would be handled:
  1. If you put your car on hold, it would essentially reset your "order date" to the day you released the hold by clicking the "I'm Ready" button. This is the "moved to the back of the line" theory that keeps coming up.
  2. I also found a few examples of those who rejected cars for defects who reported being put on some sort of "priority waiting list" that allowed them to rematch to a VIN after a few weeks.
However, I hadn't seen many examples of those who had to push delivery because they were unavailable to take delivery, like in my situation. I explained my situation to my SA yesterday and he said he would pass my VIN on to another person and we would rematch when I returned. I told him I was worried about being pushed back months and he ensured me that would not happen.

Since my VIN had not been released from my account right away I got a few text and email reminders to schedule delivery. My last email stated:
If you do not select an appointment, we will unfortunately need to move this Model Y to another waiting customer.
If this Model Y is moved to another customer, please visit your Tesla Account and select “I’m Ready” to place your order back in our queue to receive a car.
When I logged onto my account I saw that the VIN had been removed from my order, my order was now on hold, and I had the blue "I'm Ready" button. I had a brief panic because I was worried this would result in scenario #1 above, i.e., clicking this would release my hold and my EDD would reset to another 90+ days of purgatory.

I emailed my SA to double-check this wouldn't happen and this was his response:
Definitely not true. That vehicle has loaded for the east coast and is on its way and you'll be assigned a new VIN. Typically it matches you fairly quickly and most owners see a new vehicle available within a couple weeks of unmatching.

It's likely you will be offered a vehicle in the next week or two but since you are out of town I'll release it and hold for early October.

Hopefully, this helps someone else in the same situation since I haven't seen a lot of examples. I'll follow-up on how long it "actually" takes once my hold is released.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff

SanCarlosJeff

Aug 26, 2021
SF Bay Area
I wanted to share my experience with delaying my delivery after receiving a VIN since I've seen lots of conflicting details about possible outcomes. Hopefully, this will help people who find themselves in the same situation.

I had been worried that after nearly 100 days, my delivery window would fall during the period I am out of town and that is exactly what happened. I've read that if you're unavailable to take delivery you have a few options:
  • Sign a POA w/ trusted friend or family to pickup the vehicle for you
  • Complete payment in full and have Tesla deliver to your home while you're away
Neither of these options work for me a number of reasons so I looked into how Tesla handled requests to delay delivery. Based on everything I had read, there seemed to be 2 different ways this would be handled:
  1. If you put your car on hold, it would essentially reset your "order date" to the day you released the hold by clicking the "I'm Ready" button. This is the "moved to the back of the line" theory that keeps coming up.
  2. I also found a few examples of those who rejected cars for defects who reported being put on some sort of "priority waiting list" that allowed them to rematch to a VIN after a few weeks.
However, I hadn't seen many examples of those who had to push delivery because they were unavailable to take delivery, like in my situation. I explained my situation to my SA yesterday and he said he would pass my VIN on to another person and we would rematch when I returned. I told him I was worried about being pushed back months and he ensured me that would not happen.

Since my VIN had not been released from my account right away I got a few text and email reminders to schedule delivery. My last email stated:

When I logged onto my account I saw that the VIN had been removed from my order, my order was now on hold, and I had the blue "I'm Ready" button. I had a brief panic because I was worried this would result in scenario #1 above, i.e., clicking this would release my hold and my EDD would reset to another 90+ days of purgatory.

I emailed my SA to double-check this wouldn't happen and this was his response:

Hopefully, this helps someone else in the same situation since I haven't seen a lot of examples. I'll follow-up on how long it "actually" takes once my hold is released.

Thought I'd add a somewhat similar experience that is also still in process. I got the email that a car was available but since it's much earlier than expected, and I still have another car on hand I want to delay the delivery. I've never been contacted by an SA, but did reply to the original text that Tesla sent after placing the order. In my reply text I asked if my delivery can be delayed 30-60 days. About 12 hours later they sent the following response:

"We can release this vehicle, and wait until the next vehicle becomes available. We cannot guarantee it will be within 30-60 days, but we will do our best to get your vehicle closer to a timing you are wishing for. Please reply "RELEASE" to agree to releasing until another vehicle becomes available in future."

I did the RELEASE reply and haven't heard back yet, but it seems like they are going to move me back in the queue, but not all the way to the end. Like PNWLeccy I'll try to respond to this thread when another car becomes available so people can see about how long it took.

Reactions: PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle
Just to follow-up, I put my order on hold until 10/1. I logged into my account on 9/27 and noticed my order was no longer on hold even though I had confirmed it was on hold until 10/1 previously.

That was a little strange but I suspect my SA was trying to time things so that my delivery date would be as close to 10/1, as possible. As my SA had told me, I was not pushed to the end of the line but rather was given an EDD of 10/2-10/20. It has now been updated to 10/7-10/20.

I think that if anyone is thinking of putting their order on hold, they should wait until you have a VIN assigned to do it. As @SanCarlosJeff said, you can then release your assigned VIN and will be reassigned one shortly after. If you try to put an order on hold before receiving a VIN, it seems to reset your waiting period somewhat.

samwise-g

Oct 4, 2021
Redmond, WA
Just to follow-up, I put my order on hold until 10/1. I logged into my account on 9/27 and noticed my order was no longer on hold even though I had confirmed it was on hold until 10/1 previously.

That was a little strange but I suspect my SA was trying to time things so that my delivery date would be as close to 10/1, as possible. As my SA had told me, I was not pushed to the end of the line but rather was given an EDD of 10/2-10/20. It has now been updated to 10/7-10/20.

I think that if anyone is thinking of putting their order on hold, they should wait until you have a VIN assigned to do it. As @SanCarlosJeff said, you can then release your assigned VIN and will be reassigned one shortly after. If you try to put an order on hold before receiving a VIN, it seems to reset your waiting period somewhat.
Excellent information...thanks PNW...I had a M3 SR+ on order since 6/28 and today I decided to upgrade to a M3 AWD LR. I just think it makes a lot of sense after researching. I live in Washington as well, so I gave up the sales tax (has to be less than $45K to qualify), but hoping I can delay delivery until 1/1/2022 and the reconciliation bill passes to get the $10K credit. A bit of a roll of the dice, but with the knowledge you provide above, I may be able to get it. Thank you!

Dr. hurricane

Oct 17, 2021
Charleston, SC

How did you put your order on hold? Was there a button in your account that allowed that option once a VIN was assigned, or did you have to contact your SA?

Rnlmatsudai

Oct 9, 2021
USA
How did you put your order on hold? Was there a button in your account that allowed that option once a VIN was assigned, or did you have to contact your SA?
Would like to know as well. I should be getting a VIN any day now since Edd is oct 29th to nov 10th but if people start posting 2022 VINs and I’m assigned a 2021 VIN before I actually take delivery, I might just delay for 1-2 weeks and make up some excuse or something.

Mrbrock

Mar 26, 2020
Napa, CA
Would like to know as well. I should be getting a VIN any day now since Edd is oct 29th to nov 10th but if people start posting 2022 VINs and I’m assigned a 2021 VIN before I actually take delivery, I might just delay for 1-2 weeks and make up some excuse or something.
What is your reasoning for wanting a 2022 vin?

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle
I just contacted my SA to put my order on hold. If you don't know who that is, then you can go to Tesla>Inventory>Chat to request a hold on your order via chat

Jujuuu

Nov 25, 2021
British Columbia
Did you end up getting your ride? My M3 SR+ was supposed to arrive Oct 22. EDD changed to Nov 1 - Dec 1 for a few days and it’s been on Jan 03 - 31. For “fun” I plugged my design specs into the website today and it quoted me Oct 22‘ as in 2022.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC