Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delayed Model S... order a Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day all,

Here's a brief background of my situation: I'm currently leasing a 2019 Model 3 just to see how I'd feel about electric cars and I'm totally sold on them. With how crazy the current used market is right now, I'm able to end my lease early without paying much (if anything) to end the lease.

I placed an order for the new Model S on 7/29 (Red ext, white int, 19", no FSD), got financing secured from USAA at a really good rate, and just saw my EDD slip from October to February. Meanwhile, I hop on the Model Y section and while I see some delays, they aren't as bad as the new Model S orders.

The Model S is the car I want (I had an Audi A7 in the past and love the sedan/hatchback concept), though I'd be content with the Model Y since it's just as practical but not as sleek and comfortable. I usually like to keep cars for awhile and I'm not one to change out cars very often, but I wouldn't mind Model Y for now and keep it for a couple of years while they work out the kinks in the Model S production.

So now I'm considering placing a order for the Model Y and still keep my order for the Model S... Sort of a race to see which one I'd get first. From what I understand, at the very worse is if I cancel one of the orders, I would just be down $100 and maybe an extra hit on my credit report.

Just wanted to solicit for some feedback to see if it's a sound plan or if there's some other factors I should consider before placing the order. Thanks in advance!

Good day all,

Here's a brief background of my situation: I'm currently leasing a 2019 Model 3 just to see how I'd feel about electric cars and I'm totally sold on them. With how crazy the current used market is right now, I'm able to end my lease early without paying much (if anything) to end the lease.

I placed an order for the new Model S on 7/29 (Red ext, white int, 19", no FSD), got financing secured from USAA at a really good rate, and just saw my EDD slip from October to February. Meanwhile, I hop on the Model Y section and while I see some delays, they aren't as bad as the new Model S orders.

The Model S is the car I want (I had an Audi A7 in the past and love the sedan/hatchback concept), though I'd be content with the Model Y since it's just as practical but not as sleek and comfortable. I usually like to keep cars for awhile and I'm not one to change out cars very often, but I wouldn't mind Model Y for now and keep it for a couple of years while they work out the kinks in the Model S production.

So now I'm considering placing a order for the Model Y and still keep my order for the Model S... Sort of a race to see which one I'd get first. From what I understand, at the very worse is if I cancel one of the orders, I would just be down $100 and maybe an extra hit on my credit report.

Just wanted to solicit for some feedback to see if it's a sound plan or if there's some other factors I should consider before placing the order. Thanks in advance!
I did the same, but never saw a hit in my credit when canceling. So I believe the only risk is the $100, though it‘s showing $250 for me now.

Reactions: cwanja and Kelryin