Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delayed Sigs - what could Tesla do to make it up to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Kitchen in Boulder on Pearl St is very good. The Kitchen Boulder The Kitchen Community

There is one on 16th Street downtown now too. So, when I was about to start a new job in 2010 my wife and I were discussing what I wanted to do on my last day of freedom. I decided that I wanted to go to Boulder and test drive a Roadster because I had seen the S prototype and just wanted to get a feel for the technology. We drove it (thanks Ben!) and were blown away. Afterward, we walked down Pearl Street looking for a place to have lunch and just stumbled into The Kitchen. I had no idea Kimball was a part owner. Veal chop on a bed of polenta was wonderfully paired with a Scottish beer. Lovely.

Last edited:
As I've posted about 30 times, the 99% reason I went from p2407 to Sig was to take delivery earlier. I actually gave up my dolphin gray for black because it wasnt an option. I just don't see any value in my signature upgrade whatsoever. It's the same car. I paid more fofr it and got it later than p3366. A snack invite wouldn't do it , and I don't expect tesla to do anything really. I work too much and wouldn't be able to make it anyway.

I'd like to acknowledge I paid them for next to nothing. That Is not really going to happen. I'm just going to stay bitter about the process and try to let the car make up for everything. So I guess I just want a quality car and good service from here on out.

My recommendation? Do not pay a premium for the X. Just go general production. They will not be able to deliver in sequence.

I just took my 1st road trip (150mi) in my P85 and it was a “religious experience” …. everyone with out of sync deliveries will be very happy when you get your car …. but you should get something for your pain … free stuff... or at least an apology letter from George B!

They had said the they would deliver up to about 3,000 production cars this year so upgrading to a Signature would only save a month or two if your number was less than that. If you got off the waiting list from P8,000 then that is a much bigger change. There are minor differences in the Sigs (more interior leather and connectivity for one year) and maybe things they will do in the future with upgrades for Sig customers but we will have to see.

They had said the they would deliver up to about 3,000 production cars this year so upgrading to a Signature would only save a month or two if your number was less than that. If you got off the waiting list from P8,000 then that is a much bigger change. There are minor differences in the Sigs (more interior leather and connectivity for one year) and maybe things they will do in the future with upgrades for Sig customers but we will have to see.

Imagine, waiting in line at the Apple store for 2.5 years and suddenly being offered to move into a special customer slot for 300 extra dollars for a limited edition iphone, possibly signed by Steve Jobs, and you could get it first. The door opens at long last. The both lines start to move. The lines move forward and you start to see you are frozen in the special customer line. Some special customers behind you walk by and say "Isn't it nice to be in this special line." A Genius makes eye contact but quickly turns away, nothing is said. You get passed by the guy you were behind in the original line, and he says "hang in there buddy." You then see the guy 1,000 spots after your original place walk out of the store. He says "man, this thing is awesome. It will be worth the wait." You use your original iphone to call someone you know that got the special customer, limited edition phone, and they tell you to "quit complaining. It wasn't in writing." That would make a certain percentage of Americans go postal.

From my sense of what those who are getting their car out of sequence, the injury does not seem to be monetary. I don't think the solution needs to be monetary. Obviously, first and foremost, Tesla just needs to deliver a car that beats expectations and they are most of the way there.

I get wall2's concept about the "special line" not feeling very special for the out of sequence sigs.

Here's a low cost option for Tesla. They could throw a large party at the factory and invite all sigs who's cars are delayed beyond a defined window or beyond a specific range of out of order-ness of sequence. Elon's at the party, makes a point to meet and thank each. Each said sig gets their updated lighted visors (the ones that were going to be replaced anyway) signed by Elon as a way to make their car special. Those delayed sigs who are not able to make the party get their signed visors in the mail, and a phone call from Elon. This is low cost, shouldn't offend other reservation holders, and I would think would restore the nice feeling of having been in the special (or "we believe in Tesla enough to put up half the cost of the car up front") line.

From my sense of what those who are getting their car out of sequence, the injury does not seem to be monetary. I don't think the solution needs to be monetary. Obviously, first and foremost, Tesla just needs to deliver a car that beats expectations and they are most of the way there.

I get wall2's concept about the "special line" not feeling very special for the out of sequence sigs.

Here's a low cost option for Tesla. They could throw a large party at the factory and invite all sigs who's cars are delayed beyond a defined window or beyond a specific range of out of order-ness of sequence. Elon's at the party, makes a point to meet and thank each. Each said sig gets their updated lighted visors (the ones that were going to be replaced anyway) signed by Elon as a way to make their car special. Those delayed sigs who are not able to make the party get their signed visors in the mail, and a phone call from Elon. This is low cost, shouldn't offend other reservation holders, and I would think would restore the nice feeling of having been in the special (or "we believe in Tesla enough to put up half the cost of the car up front") line.

I understand the need for Tesla to do something but it becomes very difficult to select out certain people who have been wronged outside the 28 that they've talked about previously without leaving a large number of people out. Do we include the people who reserved in early 2009 with the promise of a late 2011 delivery?

I really do like the idea though. Think simply inviting all of the Signature customers as one big thank you with Tesla's open bar would definitely help.

I can not imagine how tough this is for the sigs that don't have their cars yet. I think that most people had the belief that production cars would not be delivered before the sigs. I am not faulting TESLA as I think that they must survive. I hope somehow they are taken care of. I agree that good will gestures (small model s, signed visor,ect) do not need to be financially large-but the acknowledgement of hardship. I personally feel as the TMC forum we are the sounding board for members; both good and bad news should be able to be shared.

I think there are some egregious examples here (AnOutsider, kroneal for instance) and I would hope that Tesla would reach out directly to the people impacted and show them the respect that only an honest explanation will bring.

But, seriously ... "a hardship"?? No. But I'll buy a major annoyance and irritation for some here on the forum. And unfortunately those people are getting lumped in with some others here that really don't have anything to complain about, but are making a whole lot of noise.