Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delaying Delivery of Model S / Waiting until other options become available

Waiting Until 2013 instead of taking your earlier delivery option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
[mod note: Updated thread title for clarification reasons - b.]

Just curious to see how many others are likely waiting until 2013 to get their Model S because of the limitations put on by Tesla--either battery pack not available, preferred paint color, or options you don't want (air suspension) making impossible to take delivery even if you're early on the waiting list.

I'm R77 and would have expected to be able to take delivery by August or September, but this car is already a HUGE stretch for my budget and with the options I feel I really need/want will be pushing $80k, almost 3 times more than I've every paid for a car in my life. We have some money saved up, but am still looking at a $30-40k loan to cover the balance of the cost.

We also have personal investments for retirement we need to make, so that factors in as well, and putting off the purchase until 2013 will allow us to make our investments and delay the cash expense of the car.

I'm also aware that waiting a few months makes some practical sense in that many of the production "kinks" tend to get worked out over a period of time from the initial roll-out. I'm sure Tesla will fix any issues that crop up in those early roll-outs, but living where I do, getting the car in for repair or paying a Ranger to come do it is not ideal.

I know several people feel that the options I'm prioritizing are different than what they would suggest, but I'm making what I think are the best choices for my personal situation (living ~200-240 miles from several large metropolitan areas) without pushing my wife to the threshold of just making be buy a used Saturn instead of the Model S.:crying:

I suspect there are several others on this uncomfortable ledge along with me. I desperately want my Model S and have had my money down since March of '09, but reality is hitting home and I just can't put out any more cash and put my personal finances at risk for the sake of a few more months of waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'm incredibly impressed that Tesla has pulled off this product launch in such a short period of time. Designing a car and the factory to build it is a huge undertaking, and they have done it in record time and for relatively little money. Plus this is not just any car, it's one with revolutionary technology.

Sure it's disappointing to have to wait for your Model S, but it's pretty clear Tesla is moving absolutely as fast as they can. I'd cut them some slack.

I am also in the same boat and I think you should consider the silver lining here. My boat is a bit different in that I can't even START saving until around September. I am making my official reservation in Nov/Dec.

Now it sucks that the car is postponed for you even though your so high on the list, the bonus here is you have more time to save and place a larger down payment. At the end of the day I may not get my car until this time next year and even then I will still have to finance between 30-40k. I am no money maker and like you this is 3 to 4 times more then I thought I would ever pay for a car. But, its that passion to save up for something as crazy expensive as this that makes it just as hard to wait and watch other people drive their vehicles.

I guess my point is I am in the same boat and I am going to be super jealous watching people post pictures of their Model S... but in the grand scheme of things if you have more time to save up and place an even larger down payment, I would take it. No sense in going into debt for something that is a very expensive statement, or however you view the Model S. In the end, your going to be one of 15k people that have this car. And in that subset of that group, you'll be 15k out of 300 million Americans. An extra six months won't kill you, it will just hurt a little. :)

I have a high res number 7,701, and well don't want the Model S until Feb 28, 2013 at the earliest. I would be a little peeved about not having the options available when it is time to spec out my Model S. But in the grand scheme of things a couple of months isn't that big a deal to wait.

It is a painful couple of months, but a year from now you won't really remember about it.

I feel your pain, Evan. I know what it's like to wait a long time for a car you really want. But I'm glad you're focusing on the silver lining, and not buying options you don't want just to get the car sooner. As you say, you'll avoid any early production bugs. And I think Tesla always said that choices would be limited at first.

FWIW, I think I paid more than 4 times as much for my car as I'd ever paid for a car before. I think my Prius was under $25K.

The bad part of this whole deal is that the Model S is going to make your Prius seem awfully disappointing. :frown:

If on a budget you may be making a mistake waiting for delivery. They can always raise prices. No car company guarantees that prices will not be raised even within the model year.

Oh I would attempt to force the contract to be signed, with the expectation that I would have to wait for delivery, and they would have to wait for the bulk of the payment.

There's already a lot of evidence that people put down reservations - just in case - or hoping to be in the financial shape to get the S when ready. And I'll bet a lot of people got on the list thinking/believing they could get an S they want at the advertised $49k. For me and proably a lot of others the S I would consider paying $49k for is closer to $80k or even $100k. That's a BIG difference.

Soooo given the current state of the economy and the harsh reality of just how much money this car cost - coupled with the fact that you can't just take off on long trips - coupled with the fact you can't even get it in a basic color (red) there are going to be a ton of PASS's.

I predict they will be dealing on price/options "soon" based on the signature list bails. I wouldn't mind being wrong and I wish Tesla all success, but how many people can fork over this much cash right now?

Look at the realities of the demand for the less expensive all electrics. It takes a certain individual to want to even think about how to get from here to there in a car. At least in my Volt I can take off to Grandma's or my sister's place and never give it a thought.

Right now, when I get the call, I plan on asking for what I want/need to feel comfortable at this price and if they can't do it then I'll wait. I'm certain Tesla will be making deals in 2013.

I would encourage everyone who has doubts about getting an early Model S to defer their purchase: The car will only get better, and the available option choices will only increase. If servicing your new car is going to be an annoyance, much less an inconvenience, then that's certainly a valid factor as well.

I feel you really have to want to be on the bleeding edge of new technology to be taking delivery of a Signature, RFF, or low Production number. But, everyone needs to decide for themselves. And, you need to be prepared when the v2.0's come out with improvements such as a redesigned interior that has pockets, more color choices, less chrome on the outside, etc..

Soooo given the current state of the economy and the harsh reality of just how much money this car cost
but how many people can fork over this much cash right now?
First, the economy has been far less impactful on higher incomes than middle/lower incomes. I think that's a sad statement about our country and economic issues, but as far as Tesla is concerned the economy isn't going to impact Model S demographics nearly as much as it would a $30k car.

Second, the difference between 5% and 9% unemployment is huge for the overall economy, but only a 4% change in actual employed people. Now, the impact on consumer spending is larger than 4% because of consumer fear/confidence in continued employment for the rest of us, but it's not like everyone suddenly got broke. A few people are very broke (unemployed) and the rest of Tesla's market is fine.

I'm certain Tesla will be making deals in 2013.
I doubt it. Maybe 2014, but we'll see. People have been saying for 20 years Apple was going to have to make deals on it's hardware. They never really have.

Last edited:
Even if you aren't the first people getting the car, technically you will still be on the bleeding edge. Again, even if your in a city with maybe 100 Model S reservations, that's only a 100 people among thousands and thousands. So, whether someone get the car this year, 2013 or even 2014 they will still be the hottest ride on the street to be honest.

If you're the type who waits for v2.0 you'll never buy a car. There is always the next model year, it never stops. Why not wait for Gen III?

The extra $1,500 for the mandetory active suspension? Not that much money in the grand scheme, and could be recovered from fuel savings over the extra months you'd be driving your current ICE car.

I encourage everyone to not defer their purchase, unless there is a financial reason. Have fate in Tesla, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I don't think Tesla will "deal" on pricing. While some folks, like Evan, are making a financial stretch, this car is still aimed primarily at the upper class and upper middle class, where the economy is not hurting them. In the dealership sales model, the dealership buys the car and sells it to the end user. They have to make a profit, and they can juggle profit margin against volume. But in Tesla's model, everyone at the local store is on salary. Not only do they have no authority or incentive to deal, but they'll downsell or discourage a buyer if they feel that's the right thing. My salesman listened to my priorities, then made no effort to talk me out of buying the lowest price Roadster in U.S. inventory, and he agreed with me that the extended warranty and battery replacement plan made no sense for me. All this made it one of my better car-purchase experiences. And while some people may want to try to haggle on the price, far more people will appreciate knowing that they're getting THE price and not have to worry about how much to offer.

And for the first couple of years at least, Tesla will sell every S they can build. Frankly, they don't need to lower the price to move these cars. And a few years down the road, if it appears the car is priced too high to sell, they'll adjust the price on the sticker, rather than dealing on price with individuals.

As for waiting, I'm glad I waited. Based on what I've read, I think my 2.5 Roadster is a better car than the 1.5 or 2.0 models. I'm sure the Model S will be a great car. And plenty of people will be happy to take it as offered to get it sooner, and they'll be glad they did. But if you have to wait to get the car configured the way you want, or even in the color you want, you'll be glad you did that also, because most buyers are going to have this car for a very long time, and getting it the way you want is more important than getting it a few months earlier.

Of course, locking in the price by placing the order now, to be fulfilled when available, is probably a good idea, if paying for it is not going to be an issue.

I am in the mid p-1400's. The 3 options I would like to have are not delayed and 60kWh pack is slated for November. IMO, there will not be as great a contraction in the reservation list, due to cancelations, as some have speculated.

Holdouts for v2.0 may wait years. I think the biggest leap forward will not be in styling or gadgets; but in 500-mile packs that weigh less, charge faster and cost less.

FWIW, I think I paid more than 4 times as much for my car as I'd ever paid for a car before. I think my Prius was under $25K. The bad part of this whole deal is that the Model S is going to make your Prius seem awfully disappointing. :frown:

I got all the bells and whistles on my 2004 so it cost just shy of $30K. That still makes the Model S 3X. And yes, the Prius is the most expensive car I've purchased. (Unless you count maintenance on the VW--that would have just about paid for the Model S).

I'd like to get the car now, it happens to be good timing to replace a car I've been driving for 11 years. It seems from the other threads that there is some curated shuffling going on which is good, everyone is getting what they want in terms of timing. I wonder about small things though like whether there will be enough wall chargers to go around, etc.

I am at around P2000, and have patiently been waiting for the Model S for 2 years now, yet I am seriously considering delaying my purchase. Financially I could afford a few Model S's, so money's not the issue. I just foresee too many reasons for me to have buyer's remorse soon after my purchase. For starters, I am less than thrilled with the lackluster interior. I fully expect to see some refresh of the interior a year down the road. Tesla will be compelled to make such changes as mid-2013 rolls around and they've exhausted all "pre-orders". I also told myself when I purchased my last car, that I would never buy another brand-new car, but I was prepared to break the rules with the Model S. So I know I'll have even more regret once I see heavily discounted Model S's on the secondary market. I've waited this long, what's another year? And if I show a little patience, I'll have the added benefit of allowing Tesla to work out any kinks and issues that will almost inevitably occur with the Model S. All first year cars of a new generation have some issues, and this will be especially true of a car as revolutionary as the Model S. By waiting, I'll also be able to consider leasing the car instead and delaying my purchase of a used Model S, new revision of the Model S, or even perhaps the Model X.