TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Delaying my reservation

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by miggz410, Jul 20, 2017.

1. miggz410

miggz410 Member

Currently a Model S owner and also on reservation for Model 3 since reveal night... Base on what I'm seeing so far about the Model 3, I'm thinking about pushing back my configuration or delivery when my turn comes up. Does my name go back at the end of the line, or just until when I'm ready. Reason is because I would like to wait it out a bit for them to work out all the kinks, and see if there's any improvement from the first initial release.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Until you're ready. But behind anyone who's willing to buy a more expensive car than you. :p

I think they original said 1 deferral (i.e. you get to specify a date in the future when you'll configure). But in reality I don't think that they'll care for a while and will be happy to hold onto your reservation money.

• Like x 2
  3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

We have no details, but likely you'll hold your spot at the start of the line until you're ready.

4. Robert831

Robert831 Member

I was wondering the same thing, but for different reasons. I imagine if you wait long enough, it won't matter because there will no longer be a waiting list.

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Allegedly there are people who still have not used their Model X reservations. I think you can hold and not use until you are ready. If they run out of reservations totally, yeah, then that might be the end of the 'deferral' time period (2019?).

6. Brando

Brando Member

Wait til you're ready. Don't order what you don't want to own. They will never refuse your order and your priority won't suffer. They will tell you your wait time and waiting for what you actually want is best, no?

7. miggz410

miggz410 Member

Thanks for the reply back guys... Look like right now I will be waiting until the dual motor release the earliest after seeing my delivery estimator.

• First Production
      310 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive
      $49,000
      Oct - Dec 2017
    • Standard Battery
      220 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive
      $35,000
      Dec 2017 - Feb 2018
    • Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
      Choice of 220 or 310 mile range
      Jun - Aug 2018

8. daniel

daniel Active Member

I cannot cite a URL, but I read from Tesla that you hold your place in the line until you decide to use it. When the invitation to place your order comes, you can order a not-yet-available configuration, which will be delivered when available, after anyone ahead of you in the line, or you can simply wait to place an order until you are ready. People after you in line who order before you will get their cars before you, but your place in the line remains.

I think waiting for a bit is a good idea. As much as I love Tesla, their quality control is not as good as Toyota or Honda (two companies I would not hesitate to buy early cars from, if I was interested in their cars) and waiting for a bit reduces the chances of flaws. Having ordered on Day 2, I'm not in the position of worrying about getting too early a car, but if I was very early in the line, I might be.

9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

That's my understanding also. You can wait as long as you want. I read there are still people that have reservations for the Model X that have not exercised them. You can use it anytime you want, and if you want the 'later options' (Standard Range battery, AWD, other options that don't exist yet), sure.

I'm not sure about the configurator having other options on it immediately, like the Model X one did, for future orders. Elon said recently, for example, there isn't even one for the current config, since there is one option (he meant two, color and wheels).

But 'soon' there is supposed to be a real configurator, when there are more than one battery size, more than one drive train, when PUP is optional, when the interior has color choices, etc. But the original question: your reservation is not use it now or forget it.

Edit: Love these threads... I said some of this three months ago up there! :D

10. hill

hill Member

We were $5K down reservation holders on our X. Waited too long for the bronze color ... so we waited & waited then due to fit & finish issues. When perforated leather came out we decided we'd pull the trigger, then it went away, so we waited to see what we'd want in stead. Grey Leather! Poof, gone ... back into wait mode. Probably for the best, as when ghosting arose as an issue, we went for a lease in stead (no fix-ie - no buyout-ie), & finally AP2 pushed us into pulling the trigger. Not as nice as our earlier experience in the S with AP1 ... but at least it gives us a bit of priority in the M3 line.

• Informative x 2
  11. KArnold

KArnold Member

I am a day 1 reservation holder. I was holding out for a ludicrous mode model - I may be waiting a long time!

• Like x 1
  12. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Model 3 Reservations FAQ
    "Will I need to order Model 3 as soon as I receive my invitation?
    For the fastest delivery of your Model 3, we encourage you to place your order as soon as you receive your invitation. The invitation to configure your Model 3 will have a link which will allow you to either configure your vehicle, or save your place in line and wait until later to order. We will continue to send invitations to reservation holders on a rolling basis, however delivery timing cannot be confirmed until an order is placed."

13. daniel

daniel Active Member

The very quickest (ludicrous) mode will likely always be reserved for Model S. But the Model 3 should have a Performance version available, some time after the dual-motor AWD version comes out. I might buy mine as soon as I can (current estimate Feb - April; my estimate June or July) and then trade up to P-AWD in a couple of years if I still want it.

14. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I, too, am now deferring.

I was a "check all the boxes" guy for the longest time. Then we found out, some of the boxes wouldn't be available to check until next year. Then we found out the EV credit may be dead soon, and the First Production may slip at least a month.

Couple that with the fact I found someone who is offering to pay retail for my current car (with some extras included), rather than what the dealer offered me as a trade, and I have a new plan.

I'm now looking for a CPO with a battery bigger than the 60, and at least AP HW1, hopefully for under $75K.

Next fall, when the PDL becomes available, I will now be an owner, and in my state, I get to count the trade-in value of that used S towards the purchase of the 3 for sales tax purposes. AND....I can file for my state's $2500 rebate when I get my 3. (I'd file it for the S, but you have to keep the car for 3 years or they can dock your state tax return).

I come out $5,000 ahead on this end of the transaction (selling my Audi), I get to drive a Model S for about a year, I move in to the owners' queue, I save roughly $3,000 in sales tax, I save on gas and maintenance for a year, I get a Model 3 P-something something D, I get a $2500 rebate on it, and I get to help Elon and Company with a little nudge in CPO sales.

I like my new plan.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. daniel

daniel Active Member

Sounds good. I'd have just straight-on bought a Model S a long time ago if I could tolerate driving such a big car. The biggest risk you take with your plan is that you may fall in love with the Model S and decide to just keep it.

16. hill

hill Member

#16 hill, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Yes - No - Maybe
    The fed credit doesn't just instantaneously die. It continually gets reduced - once Tesla sells > 200K vehicles here in the U.S.A. Then it diminishes in total amount (ever shrinking) until it's gone ... so one may think of the tax credit as being "mortally wounded" once Tesla reaches the 200K sales quantity. That 200K sales quantity has already passed - world wide ... but somewhere around ½ of that quantity is non USA sales.
    day 1 reservation holder PLUS being a current owner? or just day 1, not an owner. Just saying ... it makes a world of difference.

17. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I think he was referring to the proposed GOP tax plan that axes the entire EV credit on Jan 1 2018.

18. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Hi @hill I'm not going to make any assumptions here, but you might wanna do a Google search on GOP Tax Plan and EV Credit. As it's currently written, if the plan passes, the "phase out" goes away, and the EV credit instantly dies for everyone on December 31, 2017, regardless of how many domestic units have been sold.

That's an important piece of info to have.

• Informative x 5
  19. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

Only the already passed house bill takes away the EV credit. The current and unpassed senate version does not take away the EV credit.

20. Petra

Petra Member

True, but we have no idea what will happen when the two bills are consolidated by the budget committees... assuming the Senate bill passes.

• Informative x 1