Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delays in Supercharger openings due to local governments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Politics is a universal constant. It only takes one person on a city council to be confused or incompetent or tied to a local automobile dealer for a Supercharger deployment to be stalled. Considering nearly every Supercharger faces its own unique set of logistic and bureaucratic hurdles, I'm amazed at the rate of deployment that Tesla has achieved.

I don’t think Supercharger permits make it all the way to a city council? Maybe they are oddball enough that they do? If so, that would explain the delay...
Often, they require special consideration because of setbacks or installation of the electrical hardware not normally associated with parking lots. That usually requires the respective city council to get involved.

Moderator note: the first post in this thread was a response to this post in the California Superchargers forum, it and and the next two posts were moved to Off Topic.

Post by @Teriyaki88 : “Tesla does not have 100% control over permit approval process. These decisions are make by various agencies and planning boards at each location. While not 100% related to Tesla SC, its well-known in the RE development circles that City of Carlsbad is not entirely friendly to many construction projects. Sometimes they make unreasonable demands, that can lead to delays for months and months”.

Those who wish to discuss the important issues of how much to trust the government are welcome to do so here as long as the discussion abides by TMC rules. Thank you. :)

If the government was me it would work

Don't be so sure. Running a government is not a trivial task. And in the end, the people running the government are the ones we elect (except the president who is chosen by the electoral college). If you really think you could run something as complex as the government alone, and do it better, well, then we disagree. I certainly could not run a government.

Don't be so sure. Running a government is not a trivial task. And in the end, the people running the government are the ones we elect (except the president who is chosen by the electoral college). If you really think you could run something as complex as the government alone, and do it better, well, then we disagree. I certainly could not run a government.
Someone needs to watch "Yes, Minister". The bureaucracy runs the government.

You could if you got rid of 90% of the waste and un-productive employees

You could if you got rid of 90% of the waste and un-productive employees

Nope. You might as well say we wouldn't have cheese sandwiches if cheese could fly, as say you could run a government if you got rid of 90% of the waste and unproductive employees. It's not an achievable goal. How do you tell who's unproductive? "Unproductive workers" and "waste" are conservative scare words that have little meaning. And even if you could accomplish this, you'd still have a government spending nearly four trillion dollars to manage an economy close to 20 trillion dollars. Get rid of the military (the biggest source of useless spending) and you'd still have a two trillion dollar budget. No way one person could run that. You need bureaucrats. And some will be more competent than others, because they are people. And the "best and brightest" go to private business because it pays better.

The government is full of con artists because you have to be a con artist to get elected. No matter what their political affiliation.