Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delete Bank Account in Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m taking deliver on Tuesday and will add my bank account to pay down payment at that time.

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to remove my bank account after the transaction has processed? Not that I don’t trust Tesla, just don’t want them drafting other things at will (unlikely I know) since the initial setup says you authorize future payments. Of course I’ll add my CC for in app purchases and premium connectivity once the first year expires.

Reactions: play150
I believe the bank account is only accessed during the ACH transaction where you have to give your banking credentials (ID/password) to make the payment. I don’t think it is retained unless you designate the account to make automatic payments through Tesla financing.

I had to make 2 payments to Tesla and I had to enter the online bank ID/password both times... Nothing was saved. I made the original payment and then decided I wanted the white seats.... So, I had to make another payment.

I believe the bank account is only accessed during the ACH transaction where you have to give your banking credentials (ID/password) to make the payment. I don’t think it is retained unless you designate the account to make automatic payments through Tesla financing.

I had to make 2 payments to Tesla and I had to enter the online bank ID/password both times... Nothing was saved. I made the original payment and then decided I wanted the white seats.... So, I had to make another payment.
If you used the Plaid to do the ACH transaction (as I did) what you are doing is giving them your actual bank ID and password, which their system uses to login and gain full access to your online account. The service can retain and can use that info for future transactions. It's not going through via an API like Oath where they don't have access to your actual credentials and it's a one time token.
I describe it here:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/5239276/

Technically you are supposed to authorize things again for future transactions, given Tesla is only using Plaid to verify your account balance and auto-populate the ACH authorization form. However, given you gave them your actual banking ID and password, if that gets leaked or Plaid violates their terms, they (or someone else that gained access to their data) do have the ability to use it without your permission.

So what I did was immediately change my banking password after the transaction went through. That ensures even if that info was leaked, they can't access my banking info.

I’m taking deliver on Tuesday and will add my bank account to pay down payment at that time.

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to remove my bank account after the transaction has processed? Not that I don’t trust Tesla, just don’t want them drafting other things at will (unlikely I know) since the initial setup says you authorize future payments. Of course I’ll add my CC for in app purchases and premium connectivity once the first year expires.
Why not put it on a CC that pays 1 or 2%? Then pay off your card with bank acct....I did that paying down my loan.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
FYI tesla doesn't accept personal checks at delivery anymore. Changed Q4 2020. Certified check, Wire, Bank Login (ACH), and Bitcoin. I used a certified check as it was easiest if I didn't accept delivery, and it only needs your reservation number (not VIN, in case you get another matched quickly).
Not something to worry about but definitely a check is the most fool proof. Most of us have dozens of companies with our banking details, and yes, sometimes screw ups happen in return for that convenience.

somehow tesla still has my ACH information..you can see it this way.

1. tesla.com
2. go to "tesla account" and login
3. click on "manage" for your car
4. click on "details" below your VIN
5. click "manage" on the far right of the pop up
6. if you haven't changed anything recently and recently got your car, you'll see on this page that the automatic payment type for premium connectivity is your ACH. you can change it here to a credit card, but I can't find where you can remove this ACH info at all.

even after changing the payment method to a credit card, if you click on change for the payment type, you'll see your ACH listed as an option.